List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think we could afford Houston.

We also shed some contracts that will put us in a great position this coming season. If Young too had of been taken by another club, then maybe Houston would have been in play. I believe that’s what we were holding out for and why Houston really thought he was a chance to get to us. As soon as it was clear there were no takers for Young, the door was shut.

We all want players to improve our club and Houston was just that. But we still need to work within the salary cap. There’s a huge difference between us and the Pies with big money earners. They definitely had more room in their cap and will have much more at the end of 2025 with several players to retire. While we will want to lock away TDK which will set us back plenty
As you touched on above, you dont think we could of afforded Houston, i think its bang on, if a player wants a club and the coach wants that player, yet the club aren’t interested, i bet its because we couldn’t afford it.

Your last paragraph requires more debate imo and its always mentioned, our big money earners, our stars, we need a heap of $$$$ to sign Weits and TDK, i feel its a bit of an excuse, i love all these players, i dont want to lose any of these players, but if other clubs around us are out performing us and dont have these big money players, its a bit of a red flag in regards to the players themselves or the coaching group of the club.

:
Ollie will spend significant time in the back half in 2025. He was highly effective in the games he played there. For mine shares 7th defender role with Doc and Kempy, allowing some development across the team.

Him spending time back develops both him and potentially Binns, pick 3, Doc and the Camporeales get development time on the wing. Perhaps Walsh and/or Cerra gets minutes there too, even Lord for some exposure. Hell, even Charlie and Harry could push up there for cameos if Kemp and/or Moir step up.

Changes up the dynamics. He is not lacking physicality when compared to others playing the “seagull” role in recent years. Part of his perceived lack of physicality has more to do with the miles he runs each game day, always running on a half empty tank due to his constant effort presenting to contest after contest dmefensively.
I’ve seen Ollie bumped, pushed & muscled off the ball too many times.

He’s young & will build strength obviously, but until he does, I just don’t see it.

Is what he can bring off HB different to Doc, Boyd, Saad, Newman?

I don’t think the upside of him playing at HB now, is worth the defensive downside.

Why not leave him on the wing where he does his best work & his defensive weakness is less damaging, his offensive strengths accentuated.

Hoping he builds better strength through his upper body & hips, so he can play better defensively.

I’m expecting Lord will have much more time playing 2nd inside mid rotation. Kennedy & Carrol gone - his extraction work by hand looked great LY.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Cerra playing off a wing at times - pushing outside the contest - his kicking inside 50 needs to increase.

Love to keep Kemp forward - 3rd banana.

He’s young & will build strength obviously, but until he does, I just don’t see it.

What difference does this make whether he plays hb or wing?

Thought he looked more at home at hb late in the season and Walsh can be much more damaging off the wing.

I don’t think the upside of him playing at HB now, is worth the defensive downside.

Why not leave him on the wing where he does his best work & his defensive weakness is less damaging, his offensive strengths accentuated.

Hoping he builds better strength through his upper body & hips, so he can play better defensively.

I’m expecting Lord will have much more time playing 2nd inside mid rotation. Kennedy & Carrol gone - his extraction work by hand looked great LY.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Cerra playing off a wing at times - pushing outside the contest - his kicking inside 50 needs to increase.

I see Ollie playing the larger portion of every game under fatigue, leading to opinions like yours that he is intrinsically “weak”. He is still young, last pre season he added a degree of size to his frame. That size was run off him within weeks of the season kicking off. Running ~15km at high speed each week does not allow his body to develop and we will be having this conversation two, three or four years from now.

A hybrid role, with shared time in a less demanding role, in terms of ground covered will be highly advantageous. His efforts on a wing are pivotal for the team and will be required at times, but at the moment he and Acres are pencilled in week after week to bring that coverage and presentation.

A change up will benefit Ollie’s development and the team’s development preparing others to do the role if and when necessary. His superb game sense makes him a natural behind the ball, and you would find many aspects like his kicking efficiency would improve dramatically by not playing the majority of game time under fatigue.

Win/win for mine. Remember Newman was our oldest player before Haynes recruited and Saad is probably on the decline. We need to prepare for a seamless change over in our backline in the near future. High volume half backs are gold.

Yep Kemp as 3rd tall forward needs to be tried out. He reads the play well yet is a bit too small to play 2nd KPD.

I don’t agree with comments from some on here that we somehow need to go backwards next year or that we need to focus on building for the future. If we don’t make the finals next year then Voss, Lloyd and possibly Austin will all be sacked. Also we have traded our 2025 first so finishing outside the 8 next year will be a disaster.

All the player losses this year were sad but necessary. Not one of them has the potential to cost us the chance to win a flag. If we get any one of Lalor, Smith, FOS or Draper to add to the Campo twins, a key defender at 38 and one of McMahon or DGB added as a rookie then the end of season would have been a success IMO.

The bigger query is on the whether the players and coaches have the desire and smarts (talent is not in doubt IMO) to be a successful team. By that I mean to win 15+ games for the season, play to a consistently high level within a game and the season generally, finish comfortably in the top 4 and be a genuine premiership contender.

What difference does this make whether he plays hb or wing?

Thought he looked more at home at hb late in the season and Walsh can be much more damaging off the wing.
At HB he can be isolated.

He’s defensively responsible for his forward - can’t just let his man off the leash.

Oppo could play his man deep & Ollie could be exposed.

On a wing less so.

I see Ollie playing the larger portion of every game under fatigue, leading to opinions like yours that he is intrinsically “weak”. He is still young, last pre season he added a degree of size to his frame. That size was run off him within weeks of the season kicking off. Running ~15km at high speed each week does not allow his body to develop and we will be having this conversation two, three or four years from now.

A hybrid role, with shared time in a less demanding role, in terms of ground covered will be highly advantageous. His efforts on a wing are pivotal for the team and will be required at times, but at the moment he and Acres are pencilled in week after week to bring that coverage and presentation.

A change up will benefit Ollie’s development and the team’s development preparing others to do the role if and when necessary. His superb game sense makes him a natural behind the ball, and you would find many aspects like his kicking efficiency would improve dramatically by not playing the majority of game time under fatigue.

Win/win for mine. Remember Newman was our oldest player before Haynes recruited and Saad is probably on the decline. We need to prepare for a seamless change over in our backline in the near future. High volume half backs are gold.
Maybe we choose our games when Ollie plays wing.

It’ll mean Newman/Saad/Boyd will need to work more defensively.

At HB he can be isolated.

He’s defensively responsible for his forward - can’t just let his man off the leash.

Oppo could play his man deep & Ollie could be exposed.

On a wing less so.

We saw the impact his lack of physicality had when he played on the wing this year... it is just as bad if not worse.

I'll reiterate, the games he played at hb, were probably his best for the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back