Discussion 2025 Pre-Season Planning Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Day will be a ripper pick I think. Took a while to get going with no preseason and underpriced with his injury last game.

Priced at 91. Averaged 114 rounds 10-20. Lowest score of 92. A lot of 90-95 averages for the hawks, I think he’s the only who stands out and can go 110+.
Agree but he does seem to get injured/sore regularly.

Sounds like Dimma needs 18 Flanders out there :moustache:
Anecdotally it appears the Gold Coast team SC points has declined over the season … to be more in line with the RICH teams ?

Is this a figment of my imagination ?

some players i will be watching

w ashcroft - underpriced
sheezel - likely d1
xerri - likely r1
briggs - underpriced
mills - underpriced (def status?)
sicily - will average more with barass / battle in side
stewart - underpriced (age regression?)
flanders - only if fwd eligible
phillipou - good breakout candidate, fwd eligible
k coleman - underpriced
t green - underpriced
petracca - underpriced
draper - if goldstein retires and this guy is solo ruck + fwd eligible think you just pick. dont rate at all but a solo ruck in fwd line is basically always top 6.
z reid + j gibcus - back to the well
rivers - full preseason as mid could be hayden young pick of this year
short - classic burn player but will be significantly underpriced, particularly if rioli gets traded

players i am not enthused on

rozee / miller / dawson - think these guys are all the same pick, you hope they can get back to premo scoring level but i doubt any are underpriced enough to be worth the punt as mid only. best case scenario see each as doing 110 and they are likely to be too expensive to be worth the risk
oliver - cooked
english - underpriced but i think footscray changing things up hurt him this year and unlikely he ever pigs out as much as he did in 2023.
jackson - great starting pick this year but think longmuir showing hes willing to bring in another ruck and keep jackson as third tall in fwd line means i put a line through him as a sc option

w ashcroft - underpriced
sheezel - likely d1
xerri - likely r1
briggs - underpriced
k coleman - underpriced
t green - underpriced
petracca - underpriced
draper - if goldstein retires and this guy is solo ruck + fwd eligible think you just pick. dont rate at all but a solo ruck in fwd line is basically always top 6.
short - classic burn player but will be significantly underpriced, particularly if rioli gets traded

rozee / miller / dawson - think these guys are all the same pick, you hope they can get back to premo scoring level but i doubt any are underpriced enough to be worth the punt as mid only. best case scenario see each as doing 110 and they are likely to be too expensive to be worth the risk
oliver - cooked
english - underpriced but i think footscray changing things up hurt him this year and unlikely he ever pigs out as much as he did in 2023.
jackson - great starting pick this year but think longmuir showing hes willing to bring in another ruck and keep jackson as third tall in fwd line means i put a line through him as a sc option

Like the Ashcroft pick :thumbsu:

Matt Roberts is one to watch. Average of 109.83 over the past 6 rounds, 24.5 touches and plenty of marks and tackles. Taking lots of kick-ins as well. Very favourable role. Should be less than $450k.
Another 118 tonight makes that an average of 111 over the last 7 games.
Like the Ashcroft pick :thumbsu:
Agreed. Might be Ashcroft x2 for me next year.

Hopefully it goes better than Berry x2 this year :moustache:

Another 118 tonight makes that an average of 111 over the last 7 games.

Agreed. Might be Ashcroft x2 for me next year.

Hopefully it goes better than Berry x2 this year :moustache:
Yep, very impressed with Roberts off HB ....we may have another "Seagull"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Planning for four months just to finish outside the top 10k? Get a life you losers.

Just joking, but seriously.....

Next year the note to myself is don't bring in a good FWD in a crap team (Shai and nearly bought Waterman)
Efficient handballs are better than kicking to space (Dawson and Rowell)
Pay any price necessary to get a FWD in a mid role (Flanders)

So next year, I'll have to find some other way to get a non-consensus edge.
Skip the over-priced old premium players (Treloar, neale, Gawn, Grundy, Stewart etc)

w ashcroft - underpriced
sheezel - likely d1
xerri - likely r1
briggs - underpriced
k coleman - underpriced
t green - underpriced
petracca - underpriced

oliver - cooked
Some good names there. Flanders will be a defender. Flanders vs Sheezel will be a big debate in the preseason.

Not touching Reid, kent has sat at D8 all year for me. Draper averages in the 70's every year, he's a spud.

Some good names there. Flanders will be a defender. Flanders vs Sheezel will be a big debate in the preseason.

Not touching Reid, kent has sat at D8 all year for me. Draper averages in the 70's every year, he's a spud.
flanders as defender is pretty interesting. will be super expensive alongside sheezel but youre basically guaranteed top 6.... role is a bit volatile but has shown he is capable of scoring in every third of the ground with ease which alleviates that as a concern. i could see myself picking flanders, sheezel and stewart as starting premium defenders.

i agree draper is a spud but rucks just score like nobody else can.... its hard to pass up

from my read of the draft (im no expert) this years cohort is heavy on top end mids. i suspect our structures will be heavy in defence like a lot started this year unless we are taking the likes of reid / gibcus as rookies (i personally like starting shallow on mids and going heavy at either end).

i agree draper is a spud but rucks just score like nobody else can.... its hard to pass up
I agree with the general premise of what you're saying, but this is why he's such a spud.

He plays a role where it's almost difficult to go at an average of sub-80, yet he somehow manages to do that every single year.

The starting ruck for 10 clubs this year has averaged over 100. The starting ruck for 4 others has averaged over 90.

3 separate clubs have 2 rucks with higher averages than Draper. That includes Port with Sweet and Soldo - 2 rucks that couldn't get a game prior to this year.

It's actually quite amazing how shit he is.

Hugo Garcia

Will be awkwardly priced at just under $250k, averaging 40 points a quarter over the last 2. Watch for game time.

I know it's super early to be talking about it, but this finals bye sucks. My watchlist for the preseason.

Close to locks:
Bont. The best player in supercoach two years running. Back to back 124+ seasons, lowest average since 2019 is 114.7, perma captain. He gets points for taking a piss at half time. Must have.

Sheezel / Flanders / Daicos. I think these three will pretty much be the cornerstone of my team for the next decade. Especially if the first two have DPP. They're the new superstars of SC.

Bailey Smith. If/when he goes and gets midfield minutes elsewhere he'll average at least 105+. He'll have a full preseason and would be playing now if he was staying.

James Sicily. Injury to others forced him to play tall this year. Lowest average since 2019. Barrass comes in. He should be in most teams.

Connor Rozee. That injury fiasco around the showdown mid year means he's so underpriced. No reason not to expect a 10 point jump in average.

Callum Mills. Horror preseason. Lowest average since 2019. I've owned him before when he went 112 and he's a gun to have. Scores in the midfield and back. Could be DPP.

Players that will depend on preseason:
Jordan Dawson. Averaged 102 in a shocking season for the crows. 116 and 110 in the two seasons before that. Still young. The midfield mix was just off at the crows, I think he's still got that 110 in him.

Matt Rowell. His start to the year was so good. End of the year not so. Don't understand why he was moved more to the outside but can't see that happening again.

Christian Petracca. SC gun but hard to comment on any Melb players atm.

Tim Taranto. Someone has to get the footy at Richmond, don't they? Besides his subbed game he only had one score under 92, which was 79.

Tom Green. Priced at 106, but that includes a 5 when he was injured. Doesn't help that he needs 35 touches to get a ton.

Adam Cerra. Priced at 87, went at 108 last year. 90, 90, 91 the years before that. Maybe he'll land around the middle of that next year?

Will Day. Have done a post on him earlier. Think he's got that Bont factor of getting points very easily.

Colby Mckercher. Some massive scores from a first year player. Besides his injury he only really had one bad score all year (34).

You know what you're going to get:
Pretty much not a heap of upside or downside in these guys. Dunkley, Gulden, Serong, Sinclair, Merrett. There's heaps more. Not much value but good options to loop into Bont.

Rucks.
Don't think you can go wrong with any of the premo's. Darcy probably the value but you wouldn't touch him with Jackson their plus injury. I've had Marshall the last two years so will most likely back him in again. Don't think I'd go English with Darcy building up more ruck minutes.

Forward.
Who the **** knows?

Sheezel - Flanders - Sicily
Mills - rookie - rookie

Bontempelli - Daicos - Dunkley - Rozee - Day
rookie - rookie - rookie - rookie

Marshall - ?

Rankine - Moore - Smith
? - ? - ?

That's something like what'd I'd want to start with.

Matt Rowell. His start to the year was so good. End of the year not so. Don't understand why he was moved more to the outside but can't see that happening again.
Hardwick said they had to put him forward of the ball to help preserve him, just let the kent play.

Sheezel - Flanders - Sicily
Mills - rookie - rookie

Bontempelli - Daicos - Dunkley - Rozee - Day
rookie - rookie - rookie - rookie

Marshall - ?

Rankine - Moore - Smith
? - ? - ?

That's something like what'd I'd want to start with.

Is Sheezle going be a Defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2025 Pre-Season Planning Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back