Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
OK.....for better or worse, let's have a crack at our Round 1 team.

I am going to assume Bo Allen gets selected at pick 12 and Champion comes in as well.

B: Duggan, McGovern, Hough
HB: Baker, H. Edwards, Ginbey
C: B. Allen, H. Reid, Graham
HF: Cripps, B. Williams, Maric
F: Owies, O. Allen, Waterman

Foll: Yeo, Kelly, Flynn

Int: Long, Hewitt, Hutchinson, Culley
Sub: Hunt

Close: Sheed, Champion, Cole, Bazzo

Actually looks like a team with a bit of run/speed and flexibility

Baker, Yeo, Ginbey and B. Allen can all play HB or Mid

Long, Culley, Hutchinson and Hewitt can play Fwd or Mid

Plenty of goal kicking mids.

Would like to see Cripps out or Champion at some stage

B: Hough HEdwards Duggan
HB: Ginbey McGovern Baker
C: Johnston Reid Hutchingsson
HF: Long Allen Ryan
F: JWilliams Waterman Dewar
R: BWilliams Yeo Chesser

I: Hewett Kelly Hunt Maric

Sub: Pick 12

Want Graham in there somewhere but uncertain who he can push out when prioritising youth. He and Owies will realistically be in the side.

Find this difficult as I am sure there will be positional changes for some players with a new coach and a new game plan. I like Baker off HB, but with Ginbey, Duggan, Hough already there, we need to prioritise players with elite skill in the back half. Maric and or Dewar are two of our best users and I can see them being used in this role.

FB - Hough HEdwards Duggan

CHB - Ginbey McGovern Maric

C - Hunt Yeo Dewar

CHF - Baker Allen Cripps

FF - Ryan Waterman Owies

R - Flynn, Kelly, Reid

Int - Hutchison, Graham, Hewett, Long, JWilliams

Out of the side
Sheed, Brockman, Chesser, Petrucelli, AReid, Johnston, Cole Hall, Barnett, BWilliams, Bazzo, Rawlinson, Livingston Jamisn + Drafted players and Uncontracted players.

With a new coach and another preseason under the belts of our kids, it’s hard to know who will leapfrog who for the fringe spots.

Starting when the locks:

B: Duggan, H. Edwards, Hough
HB: Baker, McGovern, Ginbey
C: - Yeo -
HF: - Waterman -
F: - Allen -
R: - Reid, Kelly

Didn’t see the interview but have heard that Baker mentioned playing off half back. This means the backline essentially picks itself, and squeezes Hunt (who I previously had as a lock) into the next group. Not locks, but worth first crack.

B: Duggan, H. Edwards, Hough
HB: Baker, McGovern, Ginbey
C: - Yeo, Hunt*
HF: Maric, Waterman, Ryan
F: Owies, Allen, Long
R: - Reid, Kelly
INT: J.Williams, Cole, Graham, -

This leaves the ruck as a battle (please let Flynn win this battle), and also a vacant wing plus a bench spot.

Hewett, if healthy, should occupy one of these. Dewar has done enough to be worth first look in Round 1. What does Hutchinson look like with a preseason under his belt? Johnston worth a long look too after his final few games, could he make the move to the wing?

Hunt on the wing? Not for me historically, but perhaps with a new gameplan. If not, nice to have a battle for the seventh defender and we can blood someone else on the wing.

The benefit of the Graham acquisition is it should facilitate Kelly HFF stints. How we handle the Ryan/Owies/Cripps trio will be very fascinating, but again it’s nice to be in a position with actual options again.

There’s definitely plenty to work with, before we speculate who comes in the door on draft day.

Already posted in the contracts thread.
Fingers crossed that Hewett will be available.

FB: Bazzo Edwards Hough
HB: Duggan McGovern Ginbey
C: Hunt Yeo Maric
HF: Hewett Waterman Baker
FF: Long O Allen Ryan
R: B Williams H Reid Kelly
INT: J Williams Graham Dewar Hutchinson Owies
EMG: Cripps Cole Johnston Petruccelle Hall A Reid Chesser Flynn Brockman

FB: Duggan Edwards Hough
HB: Ginbey Gov Cole
C: Maric Yeo Hutchinson
HF: Baker Allen Cripps
FF: Dewar Waterman Ryan
R: Flynn Kelly Reid
I: Graham, Hewett, Hunt, Jilliams

Cole, Cripps, Ryan the established players that would want to perform (Golden boy Duggan is immune ofc)
Dewar, Hewett, Maric working to cement their places and may be in and out on form

Billiams, Chesser...unlucky. Longy will have to come back through the WAFL but will be a shout to get back in the side pending how he comes back.

Jesus. I don't feel like we look that bad on paper. Hopefully a new message, new approach and the personnel updates at least get us performing to the sum of the parts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back