Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where are we at? Should we be trying to do a Geelong and fill gaps to have another crack in 2025 or is it time to look at a rebuild? I don't know to be honest.

What the $&%! is with us giving up leads? We were finishing games so strongly last year, I don't get it, that needs to be addressed.

It's a shame we never got any continuity this year, season never really got off the ground. Winning it last year has made it bearable though, this year would have been so much harder take if we came up short last year.

Have no idea what our draft/trading strategy should be. We have no 1st round pick thanks to us bending over last year at the trade table. You need to be able to work with at the trade table to get things done but we are far too generous. No hate on Lachie though, not his fault.

When is the first draft that will be affected by Tas? I am also presuming we will have to use a 1st on McGuane?

I'm guessing they just trade off Johnson macare and mcinnes to get them off the books. Use the 3 picks we've got and use the same list.
To trade into the draft you'd need to trade a Noble or mcreery or a 1st you'd need to give up degoey or j daicos. Not saying they should
List demographics long term are stuffded. Still contend next year with easier draw imo.
Risk a Richmond or West Coast scenario where we have a bunch of old boys ooc next year along with fringe types who'd otherwise be moved on.
May need to trade away Markov frampton types now for minimal value to avoid a cliff.

Where are we at? Should we be trying to do a Geelong and fill gaps to have another crack in 2025 or is it time to look at a rebuild? I don't know to be honest.

What the $&%! is with us giving up leads? We were finishing games so strongly last year, I don't get it, that needs to be addressed.

It's a shame we never got any continuity this year, season never really got off the ground. Winning it last year has made it bearable though, this year would have been so much harder take if we came up short last year.

Have no idea what our draft/trading strategy should be. We have no 1st round pick thanks to us bending over last year at the trade table. You need to be able to work with at the trade table to get things done but we are far too generous. No hate on Lachie though, not his fault.

When is the first draft that will be affected by Tas? I am also presuming we will have to use a 1st on McGuane?
Hopefully Fly, Leppa, Bolts can work their magic in player management (between the ears) and game tactics/style.
Not sure about the line coaches (Skipworth/Roughead/Selwood)
The move of Reef to D50 is a little too late. Has he shown anything playing there in the VFL? If so, retain him for 2025 at least, otherwise move him on.
I would try Fin as a half forward who can rotate up the ground as a link up player...who is Collingwood more commited to Fin or Joey Richards?
AJ and Begg definitely gone if it were up to me.
Hope is for Josh Eyre to play out the season in the VFL and show something, stay fit through to the conclusion of the season and get through pre season.
The pipedream scenario is to get 1 or more picks in the draft that can land a key forward with skill and desire, and a tall key swingman.

You load up one more time with the quality veterans while there’s a chance.
And you understand it could blow up.
But you take the chance while it’s there, they don’t come often.
Isn't it pretty much known that the veterans are playing on?
I doubt that Sidebottom is going to get tapped on the shoulder and told no contract for 2025. He has skill and experience, its not like he isn't a champion player. It's tricky though, if it were up to me it would be time to see Jakob Ryan, Harry Demattia, Parker.

The players have a mandated six weeks off. Does that mean we are back training preseason mid October??

Im used to finals for us lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The players have a mandated six weeks off. Does that mean we are back training preseason mid October??

Im used to finals for us lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cat’s missed finals last year and started preseason nov 13.
Generally it’s 2 weeks prior to everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need a reset in many areas...

• De Goey needs to get his body right
  • Schultz needs a mental reset, looks frustrated and like someone who isn't enjoying footy
  • Moore, Maynard and Quaynor need to get back to their 2022/23 form
  • We need a big pre season to get fitter, haven't been able to play 4 quarters of footy all year
  • The way we try to defend leads needs to be thrown in the bin, it's been shambolic this year
  • Centre clearances have become a big issue, whenever we give up momentum we seem powerless to stop teams marching it out of the centre
  • Tackling needs to get better, how many times do opposition players shrug off our tackles?

That being said, it's an even competition so who knows what next year will bring, hopefully back to the finals but hard to see us in premiership contention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You load up one more time with the quality veterans while there’s a chance.
And you understand it could blow up.
But you take the chance while it’s there, they don’t come often.

In your opinion what is worse in terms of blowing up.

A season similar to this, there a-bouts but not quite finals worthy finish pos 9 to 12th.

Or wheels completely fall off and finish got 5?

Is mediocre finishes that neither build your future nor help the immediate finals aspirations better or worse?

We will be fine as long as we don't anything stupid like trading out our future first/second for another average role player. Getting a bit scared about our interest in Keane.

The other key focus needs to be actually developing the high draft pick talent on our list. Stop with the list clogging SSP/delisted MSD strategy in players with no long term future. Like seriously Markov wasn't even that big a win.

This is the club..............

We finally build a what should have been a dynasty team and claim the cup in 2010 and then put in a rookie coach and slowly dismantle and rebuild that list
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

...... we get to 2018, punching above our weight and almost pinch it.

Change the coaching panel end up at 22 and 23.

From a list perspective, 18 and 23 we certainly did NOT have the best list in it. Won it by turning no names into back page names and enforcing 'system beats talent'

The off season to this year............

Toss our rd 1 pick for a so far bust, and Ginni is shooting the lights out at dawthorn, simultaneously shoving pineapples up our.............

If we are gonna come back and win it next year, it'll be because of development, that's how we won it last year, certainly won't be because of savvy trading.

From last night's game (and the week before, and other games), it's clear we can still transition and score, what we can't do that we could last year is tempo the game. We get overrun, we're no longer the grim reaper, we're the reaped.

With Harrison out for 2025 😔 sign joey Richards up asap.

Hugely disappointed on ash Johnston both player and club need to move on

I'm in the keep reef camp however JUST BLOODY PLAY HIM .

hoping steene has used time to bulk up in gym

Every off season there is a surprise trade or retirement who will it be this year.?

Get Keane
Move on Finn
Keep Krueger
Deliat begg, bytel and tbh think Sullivan
One last crack in 25 then that's it
2026 prob no pendles sidebum Howe Elliott and cox

In your opinion what is worse in terms of blowing up.

A season similar to this, there a-bouts but not quite finals worthy finish pos 9 to 12th.

Or wheels completely fall off and finish got 5?

Is mediocre finishes that neither build your future nor help the immediate finals aspirations better or worse?
In my opinion the worst is getting into finals, especially top 4 and not winning a game.
What Melbourne has done for the past 2 years.
Look at them now - a decent playing list, crap coach and a gutted culture.

I wonder if Trac is gettable by another club?

I think we’ll need to be ruthless with list management.

Typically we turn over around 8 to 12 players - I think this year will be on the higher side given our results this year, our aging list, and us having a few extra players who covered LTI.

My guess is that this year we turn over around 11 players and they will be:

Murphy (retired)
Carmichael (retired)
Johnson (trade)
Begg
Steene
Markov (He’s now depth)
Sidebottom (IIRC he’s the last 30+ player who doesn’t have a contract? We need to start turning over our aging players because we can’t have them all leaving at once - my guess is that we accept a junk pick to get him to his club of choice)
Krueger (Does a few nice things, but should be more reliable than what he is at this stage of his career)
Reef (Doesn’t bode well with him being switched to the back line a month before his contract is up)
Bytel (Role player who has shown dramatic improvement every week, but not able to win the footy, which at this stage of his career doesn’t make him a long term proposition)
Sullivan (Role player who is getting the best out of himself, but it looks like we’re preferring the bigger bodies Long for the extraction role)

Last edited:
I think we’ll need to be ruthless with list management.

Typically we turn over around 8 to 12 players - I think this year will be on the higher side given our results this year, our aging list, and us having a few extra players who covered LTI.

My guess is that this year we turn over around 11 players and they will be:

Murphy (retired)
Carmichael (retired)
Johnson (trade)
Begg
Steene
Markov
(He’s now depth, and you’d
Sidebottom (IIRC he’s the last 30+ player who doesn’t have a contract? We need to start turning over our aging players because we can’t have them all leaving at once - my guess is that we accept a junk pick to get him to his club of choice)
Krueger (Does a few nice things, but should be more reliable than what he is at this stage of his career)
Reef (Doesn’t bode well with him being switched to the back line a month before his contract is up)
Bytel (Role player who has shown dramatic improvement every week, but not able to win the footy, which at this stage of his career doesn’t make him a long term proposition)
Sullivan (Role player who is getting the best out of himself, but it looks like we’re preferring the bigger bodies Long for the extraction role)
Steene has been offered a 1 year deal by reports.

Steene has been offered a 1 year deal by reports.

Thanks.

I can see all the reasons why we will cut deep, but difficult to see which players well offload (which is normal)

There’ll probably be some surprises - there always is.

Last year it was Adams and Ginnivan.

Year before it was Grundy, Henry and Poulter.

Year before that it was Lynch and Keene

Year before that it was Treloar and Stephenson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back