Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I am a bit concerned that he could run himself into the ground before Finals, but hope he's managing his load adequately.

Bye before finals helps plus we can strategically rest him during games either via the sub or playing him forward. Can also give Parker a farewell game etc, thatā€™s what depth is for and why clubs in our position earn the right to rest players at the back end to be fresh

Bye before finals helps plus we can strategically rest him during games either via the sub or playing him forward. Can also give Parker a farewell game etc, thatā€™s what depth is for and why clubs in our position earn the right to rest players at the back end to be fresh

Farewell game?! Are we trading him?

Farewell game?! Are we trading him?

Maybe maybe not but if he wants other opportunities thatā€™s fine, and he does deserve the last home game. Not fussed what we do that last home game. Just freshen up before finals give the depth a run

Maybe maybe not but if he wants other opportunities thatā€™s fine, and he does deserve the last home game. Not fussed what we do that last home game. Just freshen up before finals give the depth a run

I'd think he'll play more than just the last home game.

He's also contracted for next year and I'd be spewing if he plays his 300th in another jumper.

People are really going a bit overboard with Parker. Feels a bit 'out of sight out of mind'. If he comes back in and gets 25+ and 6+ tackles people will quickly remember just how good he still is.

I'd think he'll play more than just the last home game.

He's also contracted for next year and I'd be spewing if he plays his 300th in another jumper.

People are really going a bit overboard with Parker. Feels a bit 'out of sight out of mind'. If he comes back in and gets 25+ and 6+ tackles people will quickly remember just how good he still is.

Him getting 25 and turning it over half is exactly what weā€™ve improved on. However Iā€™m open to at least seeing how heā€™d work in our midfield should be instructed to not kick the ball and be a feed out handball mid though.

Errol Gulden: A star midfielder and Academy success story

Him getting 25 and turning it over half is exactly what weā€™ve improved on. However Iā€™m open to at least seeing how heā€™d work in our midfield should be instructed to not kick the ball and be a feed out handball mid though.

His disposal efficiency last season was better than Rowbottom's this season. Significantly better than Adams' this season.

This notion that he just turns it over is ridiculous.

His disposal efficiency last season was better than Rowbottom's this season. Significantly better than Adams' this season.

This notion that he just turns it over is ridiculous.

Not getting involved in the debate but I will say disposal efficiency is not a great stat as it rewards players who take no risks with their disposal, who go for the easy and safe option but does not benefit the team over the player who takes the game on and goes for the high risk but high reward disposal.

Not getting involved in the debate but I will say disposal efficiency is not a great stat as it rewards players who take no risks with their disposal, who go for the easy and safe option but does not benefit the team over the player who takes the game on and goes for the high risk but high reward disposal.

Which is why I compared him to the players playing the role he would conceivably play if he came back into the side. I wasn't the one that brought up disposal efficiency as something to bash Parker with which is why I rebutted it.

Gulden is about more than stats. As someone said "there's 30 possessions and then there's 30 GULDEN possessions". Then there is his leadership, his heat map etc etc.
Daicos is a terrific player but he ain't Gulden.

Hm I'd suggest Daicos' possessions are equally as damaging. He's a very good kick of the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just seems a stand out character who studies other people and is a natural leader.He is the closest thing to a captain coach ofyester year except he is just 21/22.

Pretty good call from Brandon considering when he posted that.

Can't say I totally agree, they are both incredibly good players.
If I could only have one in my team, I would choose Errol simply because I see him as the type of player that could lift the team when they're down and I don't see that with Naicos. Having said that, I'm not being totally fair to Naicos, as I watch far more of the Swans and therefore see far more of Errol's magic than Naicos.

i think gulden's tougher, does more defensive stuff
gulden every time for me (biased? as if!!)

Which is why I compared him to the players playing the role he would conceivably play if he came back into the side. I wasn't the one that brought up disposal efficiency as something to bash Parker with which is why I rebutted it.
I think much of the "Parker turns it over" refrain comes from what he typically does if he wins ball at centre bounces. Throws it on his boot and hacks it forward.

But those who criticise Parker for that fail to acknowledge that Mills, Rowbottom and others typically do the same thing. It seems like a team tactic if the ball is won in traffic and the forward line is still uncluttered from the 6-6-6 start to just get territory and take it from there. There's been more sophistication in the centre clearances this year but that must be partly the Grundy effect. And we're yet to see Parker (or Mills) contest centre bounces alongside Grundy.

Parker is a superb goal converter, which suggests there's not a whole lot wrong technically with his kicking.

I think much of the "Parker turns it over" refrain comes from what he typically does if he wins ball at centre bounces. Throws it on his boot and hacks it forward.

But those who criticise Parker for that fail to acknowledge that Mills, Rowbottom and others typically do the same thing. It seems like a team tactic if the ball is won in traffic and the forward line is still uncluttered from the 6-6-6 start to just get territory and take it from there. There's been more sophistication in the centre clearances this year but that must be partly the Grundy effect. And we're yet to see Parker (or Mills) contest centre bounces alongside Grundy.

Parker is a superb goal converter, which suggests there's not a whole lot wrong technically with his kicking.

i think rowbottom has gone beyond that now

i think rowbottom has gone beyond that now
For all his wonderful qualities, Rowbottom is the ugliest kick (or maybe ungainliest is a kinder word) on the team. His modus operandi is the hack kick forward. He looks a little more fluent kicking on the run than from a standing start.

But his method works well within the team method. That was my point. It seems to be a team mantra to get the ball forward quickly from congestion, less so when the ball is being moved forward from the back half.

He (Rowbottom) did unleash maybe his best two kicks of the season against GWS. It made me wonder if he's been taking some tips from Gulden or Warner on how to get more penetration on his kicks. They just sailed and sailed and sailed...

For Errol, I believe less is more. I would start winding him back in the coming weeks, maybe after around 17.

Don't try to get to 100% ToG, but back it down from his 2024 average of 92.6% to around 85%, like most mids.

It was 98% on the weekend, but I would want him on high minutes in the finals and not another 9 games like that.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back