Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

The price of Free agency inflates them all, but agreed, this one has to be made up.

This would have to be the leanest year for FA in memory. When Battle and Zurhaar are considered the cream of the crop. Doedee got $800k last year and was out with a knee reco. Ratogolea got > $700k. KPD prices have sky-rocketed. I saw on footy Classifiedsl ast night the massive drop off from Ben McKay who's now losing 57% of 1 on 1's and averaging 8 touches after his sugar rush wore off. Not long ago the stat was something like Ben Miller had only lost 1 one on one out of 50 and he's averaging 13 touches and keeping guns to low number of goals in the bottom side. McKay's on $1mil a year. Lucky the club signed Miller cos if he keeps it up he'll have similar offers after this new contract expires. I'm just hoping cos the FA market is soooo bad that there's some interest in Graham. But porky really needs to play a few average to good games I guess

Last edited:
See no reason to sign him up now. Is a restricted free agent next season so we have the right to match and if we finish last we could get pick 2 as compensation. Not saying I would allow him to leave but definitely in favour of having that option.
Better off locking him away IMO. You build sides around guys like Balta.

What would Noah think if we traded away most players in his age bracket? How would that affect his decision to sign.
This is what we need to be careful of with just trading away all and sundry for picks. Conversations need to be had with our better players to talk them through what we're aiming to achieve and what the next few years realistically look like.

This is what we need to be careful of with just trading away all and sundry for picks. Conversations need to be had with our better players to talk them through what we're aiming to achieve and what the next few years realistically look like.
The only player who will be part of the future that we could trade and get a good pick in return is Baker. Not because we should trade him, but because he might be wanting to head home.

Dusty can do what he likes, he's got a gold pass from all of us.

We could lose Graham and MacIntosh without losing much, but they won't net us much.

Nobody else should be traded. You don't trade away your best players like Rioli, because what will the established players think, here we go another bottom finish.

Same argument when we traded pick 6 for Prestia. The established players would have been all over it even though there were a lot saying we paid overs. You keep the nucleus of your best and build kids around them.

The only player who will be part of the future that we could trade and get a good pick in return is Baker. Not because we should trade him, but because he might be wanting to head home.

Dusty can do what he likes, he's got a gold pass from all of us.

We could lose Graham and MacIntosh without losing much, but they won't net us much.

Nobody else should be traded. You don't trade away your best players like Rioli, because what will the established players think, here we go another bottom finish.

Same argument when we traded pick 6 for Prestia. The established players would have been all over it even though there were a lot saying we paid overs. You keep the nucleus of your best and build kids around them.

All well and good to say that but we don't have the A graders to build around. Ironically Bolton and Balta (as a defender) are the only two we have and the distance to the next is simply too big which is a massive problem as we need 3-5 like we had with Lynch, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin and Martin.

We are in the perfect position right now to blow this shit up and rebuild at the perfect time with this years draft being the most loaded since 2001 and next years top 10 looking very strong, followed by possible academy and F/S selections in 2026. In doing so getting in ahead of Tassie.

Unlike most on here Im not normally a **** for draft picks or suffer from shiny new toy syndrome whereby I shit on players who have actually performed for the club in favour of the guy who has been here for five minutes and has had one good game in the VFL. But with abundance of changers and instability within the club at the moment with key members of our premiership window leaving, the more I consider it the more it makes sense to start fresh. I don't want to lose the two A graders we have but the next crop of A graders that we draft in the next two year with high draft picks are going to be 3-5 years away from contributing to the level required by which time Bolton and Balta will be late 20's and their window doesn't line up.

All well and good to say that but we don't have the A graders to build around. Ironically Bolton and Balta (as a defender) are the only two we have and the distance to the next is simply too big which is a massive problem as we need 3-5 like we had with Lynch, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin and Martin.

We are in the perfect position right now to blow this shit up and rebuild at the perfect time with this years draft being the most loaded since 2001 and next years top 10 looking very strong, followed by possible academy and F/S selections in 2026. In doing so getting in ahead of Tassie.

Unlike most on here Im not normally a **** for draft picks or suffer from shiny new toy syndrome whereby I shit on players who have actually performed for the club in favour of the guy who has been here for five minutes and has had one good game in the VFL. But with abundance of changers and instability within the club at the moment with key members of our premiership window leaving, the more I consider it the more it makes sense to start fresh. I don't want to lose the two A graders we have but the next crop of A graders that we draft in the next two year with high draft picks are going to be 3-5 years away from contributing to the level required by which time Bolton and Balta will be late 20's and their window doesn't line up.
That might be so but Rioli and Bolton are A graders, so logically not tradable. Baker as a I said I could live with a trade for, you'd get a decent pick, but no others we have will give A graders. If we get a 10-20 pick for Baker that would give us 3 picks in the top 20-25, and we have a hand of good picks below 50 odd. This is a deep draft so plenty available. Besides who is to know who will turn out to be an A grader. We only need a few of our crop of unknown / underplayed present players to do a Dylan Grimes and tables can turn pretty quickly, without upsetting our older established players.

That might be so but Rioli and Bolton are A graders, so logically not tradable. Baker as a I said I could live with a trade for, you'd get a decent pick, but no others we have will give A graders. If we get a 10-20 pick for Baker that would give us 3 picks in the top 20-25, and we have a hand of good picks below 50 odd. This is a deep draft so plenty available. Besides who is to know who will turn out to be an A grader. We only need a few of our crop of unknown / underplayed present players to do a Dylan Grimes and tables can turn pretty quickly, without upsetting our older established players.

Sorry should have stated A graders as in truly elite players i.e Multiple all Australians, Colemans, Brownlows. We don't have that quality outside of Bolton and potentially Balta as a defender if he eliminates his stupid mistakes. We need 2-3 years down the bottom to get those players by which time Bolton and Balta will nearing the end of their careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry should have stated A graders as in truly elite players i.e Multiple all Australians, Colemans, Brownlows. We don't have that quality outside of Bolton and potentially Balta as a defender if he eliminates his stupid mistakes. We need 2-3 years down the bottom to get those players by which time Bolton and Balta will nearing the end of their careers.
Elite players are few and far between. We were spoilt with our stars from '17 on, but we won 3 flags on the back of them, which is rare. To be up the top you don't need so many, look at Collingwood who had a young Daicos, old Pendelbury and De Goey having his best year. Or the Dogs in 2016 with really only Bont as elite.

If Lynch comes good and a handfull of our young players make the jump from C grade to B+ grade, which is not unforeseeable, then we can turn this around. A couple of stars from the draft this year and who knows.

I’m watching the suns games atm, I’d be shocked if dimma isnt trying to get Noah up there aswell

Apart from Andrew, their key backs are genuinely VFL standard

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
FA next year. Definitely a concern.

Elite players are few and far between. We were spoilt with our stars from '17 on, but we won 3 flags on the back of them, which is rare. To be up the top you don't need so many, look at Collingwood who had a young Daicos, old Pendelbury and De Goey having his best year. Or the Dogs in 2016 with really only Bont as elite.

If Lynch comes good and a handfull of our young players make the jump from C grade to B+ grade, which is not unforeseeable, then we can turn this around. A couple of stars from the draft this year and who knows.

They're but if we are ruthless we can potentially have 6 top 10 draft picks in the next two years that would enable to possibly get at least 4 elite players.

Im sorry but if the club is making list decisions on an injury prone 32 year old then we are in a lot of trouble. We need to accept the position we are in and rebuild accordingly.

They're but if we are ruthless we can potentially have 6 top 10 draft picks in the next two years that would enable to possibly get at least 4 elite players.

Im sorry but if the club is making list decisions on an injury prone 32 year old then we are in a lot of trouble. We need to accept the position we are in and rebuild accordingly.
well said..totally agree with the Lynch assessment
but, we're already in a lot of trouble
trade hard and draft harder is our way out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back