Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Balta defending the goals
You Shall Not Pass Lord Of The Rings GIF

It's clear his best role is 1v1/intercept defender but the issue I have we will praise him this week but when does something silly we will be like that's why he can't play down defense because his costly turnovers hurt us.

That's the problem I still see with him and that's why I struggle to get excited over a couple of games.

I still think Yze will want to get him back to the forward line to see how he goes alongside Lynch, but he should concede that KPD is where Balta best serves the team and leave him there.

I still think Yze will want to get him back to the forward line to see how he goes alongside Lynch, but he should concede that KPD is where Balta best serves the team and leave him there.
****ing hope not. We can still score okay without Balta forward, but we'll struggle to defend without him in the backline. We just look so much stronger with his name pencilled in back there.

Let Bauer and/or Kosi have a few games up forward alongside Lynchy.

It's clear his best role is 1v1/intercept defender but the issue I have we will praise him this week but when does something silly we will be like that's why he can't play down defense because his costly turnovers hurt us.

That's the problem I still see with him and that's why I struggle to get excited over a couple of games.
Agree. I think he looks best in the backline when we have another key dender there which Miller has stepped up as. Gives Balta a better run at being that interceptor and ability to sag off his opponent to come in over the top.
You just have your heart in your mouth every time he has it looking for the short kick or handball rather than a 60m plus kick down the line.

Well, either way his turnover is going to cost us a goal.

Fact is, he saves far more goals in defense than he creates when he's up forward. And if we're seriously in the business of being competitive, closing off opposition scoring avenues is of far more value than forlornly speculating on him one day kicking a bag.

****ing hope not. We can still score okay without Balta forward, but we'll struggle to defend without him in the backline. We just look so much stronger with his name pencilled in back there.

I believe that we recruited Blight to play the role that Balta is playing and it's just a case of getting him up to speed before Yze makes the move.

Watching Blight in the first 2 VFL games he is calm and composed when the ball is coming in and when in possession and he uses the ball quite well, keeping things simple rather than taking on the high risk/high reward option that Balta sometimes does when he gets that rush of blood.

A combination of Balta and Lynch up forward is more potent than any other combination we can put on the park and Balta has about 18 months to play 2nd fiddle to Lynch before we ask him to become the main man up forward. If we can leave him there and allow him to develop in a settled side/system, we should get to see the version of Balta that Yze saw him becoming when he made that initial decision to move him forward. Unfortunately injury to both when we played Sydney back in round 3 has cost us half a season of development. IMO we will likely see both of them up forward from the Carlton game after the bye.

I believe that we recruited Blight to play the role that Balta is playing and it's just a case of getting him up to speed before Yze makes the move.

Watching Blight in the first 2 VFL games he is calm and composed when the ball is coming in and when in possession and he uses the ball quite well, keeping things simple rather than taking on the high risk/high reward option that Balta sometimes does when he gets that rush of blood.

A combination of Balta and Lynch up forward is more potent than any other combination we can put on the park and Balta has about 18 months to play 2nd fiddle to Lynch before we ask him to become the main man up forward. If we can leave him there and allow him to develop in a settled side/system, we should get to see the version of Balta that Yze saw him becoming when he made that initial decision to move him forward. Unfortunately injury to both when we played Sydney back in round 3 has cost us half a season of development. IMO we will likely see both of them up forward from the Carlton game after the bye.
Jesus christ man, dont do this. I just came to terms with being wrong about Balta and that he must stay back :(

His good significantly outweighs the bad , list below any key defenders that go at 100% efficiency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight needs to come into the side , anyone that is a good overhead mark is a lock in our starting line up , get him in

We can score ok , huh , I reckon solving the Rubik’s cube is easier than us scoring goals right now

Bring Blight in to pair with Miller and unleash Balta as an interceptor. He's elite at reading the ball in flight and contested marking. If Blight/Miller can provide a 1v1 contest for incoming ball, Balta will slide in and take mark after mark like we saw with Sicily etc yesterday.

I feel for him.
Ever since Rance fled the coop prematurely, he has been anointed the new Rance and every second post on here makes some reference to the former #18 and how he was all at sea early in his career, with the premise Balta will automatically make the same progression.
He most likely won't and he shouldn't be expected to do so.
He's a good and, at times, very good player, but boy he can be average at times too.
The fact that a week after plenty were imploring him to be left in defence, we want him to go forward again to limit his brain-fades and clangers, of which there are many, says he is not the gun we think he is.
I wouldn't be mentioning Balta in the same breath as Rance and the constant comparisons are only to his detriment.

This is a crazy take. Who do we have who can play that role better?
And he's playing well, wtf? Our midfield gets molested every week and he's been performing admirably. He got 17d and 12 marks on the weekend as a lockdown FB. Turnovers up the ground have killed our defenders, not being shit.

lol Miller has an almost unbeaten record in one on one contests this year. He's super reliable. Almost all of Chol's goals came through a bad turnover where they got us on the rebound.

Love the idea of Blight in to use Balta elsewhere/wherever we need him most.
Balta as an interceptor will be AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back