21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally this early into the draft I'm avoiding picking players on projected value. Daicos I think is already proven, HR less so even if as a first year player you'd be shocked if he wasn't a gun.

But overall I'm happy to (mostly...never say never) stick with tried and true and highlight some under appreciated players from the past 30 years.

I really wanted another dynamic and powerful player, another match winner to go with Danger.

A proper midfield dynamic duo if you will. Pretty much all of those other type mids have gone as I wanted to strengthen my spine first. I thought Reid was the perfect compromise at this stage.

I really do believe he could end up an out and out champion of the game.

I could have taken someone else instead of Sandilands but I really wanted a Ruck who was totally dominant in HTA so my team could set up aggressively from the get go

Daicos (gone) and Sheezel (available) are the two that standout for me around 50 games. Taking Reid, Darcy etc. is where I'd draw the line.

Undoubtedly Gulden, Serong and Butters will go soon - probably fair enough. Walsh as well as a more mature player but still in his prime. All established so not what I'd count as "premature" picks projecting too much. I mean these are AA-certified players.

It's pointless pretending there's secrets and excluding the names, we aren't 5 or 95 year olds.
Shit. Well buckle up then, you're going to love my team by the end 😉

I really wanted another dynamic and powerful player, another match winner to go with Danger.

A proper midfield dynamic duo if you will. Pretty much all of those other type mids have gone as I wanted to strengthen my spine first. I thought Reid was the perfect compromise at this stage.

I really do believe he could end up an out and out champion of the game.

I could have taken someone else instead of Sandilands but I really wanted a Ruck who was totally dominant in HTA so my team could set up aggressively from the get go
Oh I definitely get it and don't want to make it sound like I'm annoyed/dismissive. It's a valid approach and HR will very likely be a superstar.

Personally I'll probably stick to players that at the very least have had AA level seasons or in the top few for their position in a given year, just so that these types don't get left out. And like I said, in the later rounds might be a different story where I look for value (hence projection = potential value). But I've no issue with others taking a different view and simply speculating that Player X will reach whatever level.

Daicos (gone) and Sheezel (available) are the two that standout for me around 50 games. Taking Reid, Darcy etc. is where I'd draw the line.

Undoubtedly Gulden, Serong and Butters will go soon - probably fair enough.

It's pointless pretending there's secrets and excluding the names, we aren't 5 or 95 year olds.
Going on stats there are players with 50 games with better overall stats than some of the KPD's selected thus far.

I'm sorry if you had written Brad Ottens cos he's my pick
Now you're annoying me.

Otto was meant to slide! I'd back him in, especially the finals version, to be competitive against most rucks taken so far.

Also earlier on showed he could be an AA level forward/ruck and happily rotate up there to be damaging.

Pick 85- Geelong Cats
Michael O'Loughlin
521 goals
303 games
Premiership player
One of the most underrated players of all time a very successful era with over 500 goals and the ability to pick up 20 possesions to go with 3-5 goals, he did it on the big stage many times as well! And anyone that can kick a winning goal and yell in John Candys face gets my vote! one season averaged about 19.5 possesions and 2.5 goals a game.
This really helps my forward line and the pick that is a big part of my plan that I was worried was crumbling.

Pick 86
Lenny Hayes
Norm Smith Medal
3 Best and Fairests
3 All Australians
#58 all time Brownlow wedged between Jesaluenko and Dunstall
A leader a warrior and didnt get the chocolates but is probably close on the most respected St Kilda player of all time internally and much loved around the football world. He is a mixture of Bontempelli and Selwood with poise class and supreme toughness. Best option for me at the moment as captain.

Now you're annoying me.

Otto was meant to slide!
I knew if I wanted him I'd have to get ahead of your fellow cat fan.

Now you're annoying me.

Otto was meant to slide! I'd back him in, especially the finals version, to be competitive against most rucks taken so far.

Also earlier on showed he could be an AA level forward/ruck and happily rotate up there to be damaging.
My exact thoughts

For some reason round 5 has found a way to trigger me the most!

Two more great picks on my next list of 5 players Lingsface

Hall rightly was seen as the "star" of that Sydney forward like but Micky O was a gun who stood up many times as well.

And Hayes would be one of the best hard nosed midfielders of the past 30 years. Great value and one of the picks of the bunch for that St Kilda side (probably only Riewoldt ahead).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason round 5 has found a way to trigger me the most!

Two more great picks on my next list of 5 players Lingsface

Hall rightly was seen as the "star" of that Sydney forward like but Micky O was a gun who stood up many times as well.

And Hayes would be one of the best hard nosed midfielders of the past 30 years. Great value and one of the picks of the bunch for that St Kilda side (probably only Riewoldt ahead).
Yes both underrated and I am thankful for that! Just need a little bit more support deep though with a hybrid ruckman or a big oath to sit under the high ball.

Glen Iris (eth-dog)
FB???Darren Glass???
HB???Michael Hurley???
MF???Jobe Watson???
HF???Jack Riewoldt???
FF???Tom Hawkins???
OBBrad Ottens??????
IC?????????
IC??????

Pick 85- Geelong Cats
Michael O'Loughlin
521 goals
303 games
Premiership player
One of the most underrated players of all time a very successful era with over 500 goals and the ability to pick up 20 possesions to go with 3-5 goals, he did it on the big stage many times as well! And anyone that can kick a winning goal and yell in John Candys face gets my vote! one season averaged about 19.5 possesions and 2.5 goals a game.
This really helps my forward line and the pick that is a big part of my plan that I was worried was crumbling.

Pick 86
Lenny Hayes
Norm Smith Medal
3 Best and Fairests
3 All Australians
#58 all time Brownlow wedged between Jesaluenko and Dunstall
A leader a warrior and didnt get the chocolates but is probably close on the most respected St Kilda player of all time internally and much loved around the football world. He is a mixture of Bontempelli and Selwood with poise class and supreme toughness. Best option for me at the moment as captain.

Nooo....Leeennnnyyyyyyy. You were meant to be a Hawk. I'm sorry I waited one more round! I just thought between you and Toby, you had more chance to last.

Ask for a trade after your initial contract is up yeah?

Seeing you in hoops only makes it worse!

Nooo....Leeennnnyyyyyyy. You were meant to be a Hawk. I'm sorry I waited one more round! I just thought between you and Toby, you had more chance to last.

Ask for a trade after your initial contract is up yeah?

Seeing you in hoops only makes it worse!
Why would Lenny wanna wear piss and poo for?

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back