21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 11 - Windrunners - Max Gawn

More than happy to take who we think is the best ruck available. And a fairly large gap between Gawn/Cox and the next best as previously alluded to 😅
Provides so much in the ruck but even more around the ground with quality disposal and elite marking.

boncer34 your pick is up

Hell of a choice. I kind of knew McLeod and Hodge would be gone by round 2, but you could probably only land them if you had a pick outside of the top 6. I thought they may drift to 12-15ish but it's good to see rebounding defence prioritise! And natural born winners.

Give Bunj a finger and he's gonna grab not only the arm but the whole body too.

As you'd expect, all 10 picks so far would be fairly straight forward additions to a merged team of the 1995 onwards period:

FB: Hodge - -
HB: McLeod Pavlich* -
C: - Ablett -
HF: Martin Riewoldt Franklin
FF: - Lloyd -
FOL: Cox Judd

*Pavlich can play anywhere besides ruck

Edit: Gawn might be a stretch if you already had Cox. I'm sure coaches would find a way to make it work.

Super easy. I'll take the best all round player I've ever seen in Adam Goodes. Hilarious a bloke that won a brownlow as a KPP and a hybrid ruck is available so late.

Franklin -> Ablett -> Pavlich -> Goodes -> Judd -> Riewoldt -> Lloyd -> Hodge -> Gawn -> Martin -> McLeod -> Cox

Is how I'd draft from the ones chosen so far. I think.

For me Lloyd is very much a needs based pick. I needed a key forward and I knew that by my next pick in the mid 30's all the really good ones would likely be gone.

For me Lloyd is very much a needs based pick. I needed a key forward and I knew that by my next pick in the mid 30's all the really good ones would likely be gone.
Oh yeah it wasn't designed to try and say people had picked players above/below value. Besides rucks (that I still think get overstated too much for importance - yes there are two generational ones, but you can get by with a solid McEvoy, Ottens, Nank type ruckman and an elite midfield - yet not the other way around) I would also rate the KPPs of higher priority due to scarcity of ultra elite ones, and the versatile ones highest. But then Ablett and Judd sneak through that order simply from being too damn good.

Oh yeah it wasn't designed to try and say people had picked players above/below value. Besides rucks (that I still think get overstated too much for importance - yes there are two generational ones, but you can get by with a solid McEvoy, Ottens, Nank type ruckman and an elite midfield - yet not the other way around) I would also rate the KPPs of higher priority due to scarcity of ultra elite ones, and the versatile ones highest. But then Ablett and Judd sneak through that order simply from being too damn good.

I would actually love to talk more about my draft strategy right now as I think I am going to be fairly unique in what I am going for with the higher picks but I am going to have to wait until I actually make my next two selections, if these players fall to my next two selections :p

I have a general idea of what my first 10 rounds are going to look like, in terms of the types of players I am going for but nothing is certain at this stage.

I would actually love to talk more about my draft strategy right now as I think I am going to be fairly unique in what I am going for with the higher picks but I am going to have to wait until I actually make my next two selections, if these players fall to my next two selections :p

I have a general idea of what my first 10 rounds are going to look like, in terms of the types of players I am going for but nothing is certain at this stage.
My strategy will not necessarily be unique but will be targeting a specific set of players for the first 3 picks.

I think hybrid rucks are important over typical tap rucks. Ill perhaps be controversial here and ignore a genuine ruck in favor of a playet who can have more versatility. Kpd fb arent critical early and im a firm believer that mids are relatively even. You wouldnt be disappointed if you rounded out with someone like Treloar. Thers not a huge gap between him and the rest.

Ive considered Shaun Rehn in the ruck but Im not quite sure what happened to him. Has never been in discussion for best rucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Hawthorn fan - a team that have never had an elite ruck and yet been pretty successful in modern times, I obviously know what you mean. However (defending my choice of a ruck at pick 9), I find the above argument (which is regularly made) to be a funny one at times. Of course teams can win without an elite ruck - there's usually only about 2 in the entire league at any given time and it's only 1 position on the field. Then people inevitably go on to say that key position forwards are the most important position, completely ignoring all the teams that have been successful without an elite one. Collingwood last season, Melbourne recently, Bulldogs before them, that great Geelong side, that great West Coast side before them, Sydney '12, etc, etc.

The best key forward in the league is very, very rarely on the flag winning side yet the logic seems to be applied to ruck-man unfairly (when there are only a couple considered elite at any given time). Top line rucks make as much difference as any other player in the team. Look at how Melbourne perform without Gawn. Look at the difference Grundy has made to Sydney's midfield. Look at how West Coast went once Cox was no longer dominant. Even elite teams like Geelong of the 00's were much better when Ottens was in. When people laud the likes of Hodge and McLeod, you never hear "yeah, they're good but not that important cos you can win a flag without an elite level half back flanker". That logic would be harsh and unfair I reckon - yet people apply that same thinking to ruckman. Even when people say you can win without an elite ruck but not an elite midfield doesn't make complete sense IMO. "The midfield" not only includes the ruck, but there are 8+ midfielders on a team and only 1 ruck. Of course you are going to be able to find an elite midfielder in a successful team with 8-10 players to choose from. Basically every team has an elite mid anyway. Even then, there have been many premiership sides where the midfield as a whole has been about middle of the road competition wise (same as rucks in other words)- or the best midfield has not won on Grand Final day or not been the best team. There were many better midfields than Collingwood last year, or Geelong the year before, or that awesome Richmond side, or the threepeat Hawks, etc, etc.

Damn - I REALLY wanted Goodes. That's thrown me a bit. Lol

I'm in a position where I didn't want to be - Having to rush my pick before I go to work.
I'll pick the guy I think better than Judd (along with one other mid on the board).

Powerful. Explosive match winner.

WCE - Pick 13
Patrick Dangerfield

Also considered KPF and another mid. I've probably forgotten someone due rushing but it's hard to lose picking Danger either way

Fadge
You're up mate.

Just to help the next few people picking, these are the last few selections.

10. Essendon (Redmanwashere) - Andrew McLeod
11. Bulldogs (PhoenixBonez) - Max Gawn
12. GWS (boncer34) - Adam Goodes
13. West Coast (ArdentEagle) - Patrick Dangerfield

Pick 14 - Jonathan Brown.

Collingwood have chosen to start their list build with one of the hardest and most important positions on the ground - key forward.

Jonathan Brown has all the attributes you need to build your team around - he's a magnificent mark and kick for goal, courageous and a great leader.

He won his three flags as a kid in the great Brisbane side of the early 2000's, and went on to become the club's captain for 7 years, playing 256 games and kicking 594 goals in the process. Imagine how good he would have been in an even stronger team when he was at the peak of his powers.

Over to you, reggie

Last edited:
That is super interesting as I would have Brown below both Riewoldt's, Kennedy, Hawkins and Hall.

Love your input in this thread but would love if you stop mentioning undrafted players (or players you are shocked have not been taken as per other thread), as the likelihood of them slipping through (or being forgotten about) goes significantly down. Purely selfish reasons of course but still :);).

Love your input in this thread but would love if you stop mentioning undrafted players (or players you are shocked have not been taken as per other thread), as the likelihood of them slipping through (or being forgotten about) goes significantly down. Purely selfish reasons of course but still :);).
Don't worry, at least one was going to be taken before your next pick without that.

Most annoying thing is that Dustin Fletcher isn't eligible.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back