21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Select Jason Akermanis.

It's all triple premiership players in the team

Would have loved to select an old fashion CM like Black, Mitchell or Selwood to pair with Martin but they are all gone and you can't pass up on Aker and he's one of my favourite players too.

Sydney Select Jason Akermanis.

It's all triple premiership players in the team

Would have loved to select an old fashion CM like Black, Mitchell or Selwood to pair with Martin but they are all gone and you can't pass up on Aker
wow i wanted him so bad great selection top 10 player in this draft in my mind.

Just a question why does JObe Watson keep his All Australian but not Brownlow Medal?

Mate. Don't get me started. As you know by now, I am one of Sam Mitchell's biggest fans and boy he was unlucky at times with awards - finished runner up in the Brownlow 3 times, runner up in the NS twice but was ridiculously unlucky with AA selections.

Leaving aside the fact they didn't give him his first until he was in his 30's, that 2012 side was particularly annoying. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE- had Sam Mitchell in their AA teams. Mitchell easily won the best and fairest in the best side of the season, that finished top of the ladder and had a percentage well over 150. Mitchell went on to win the Brownlow. He finished high in every other award too.

When the selectors were questioned about why Mitchell missed out (cos the public were very surprised), the response was "yeah, he was one of the best players of the season but he can only play 1 position - centre - and we picked Jobe Watson there". Besides the fact that that's ridiculous logic when you have three inside mid roles and 4 on the bench, Mitchell went on to injure his shoulder that off season and had to convert from an inside clearance beast to an outside distributor role to protect his shoulder and due to his elite foot skills. He went on to be one of the best outside mid/half backs in the league the very next year, making a mockery of being unable to pick him in any other role (or even on the bench) due to an invented "inability to play any other role" (as if that matters, even if it were true, for a rep side anyway).

Cherry on top was that Watson was then found guilty of taking banned substances when his selection was the sole reason used by selectors to leave Mitchell out.

(Re-reading that post sounds super bitter about something pretty minor from 12 years ago but that's not how I meant it to come across. I'm over it, I promise - but you reminded me of some pretty funny posting and memes that was going on here about that very issue at the time)

Mate. Don't get me started. As you know by now, I am one of Sam Mitchell's biggest fans and boy he was unlucky at times with awards - finished runner up in the Brownlow 3 times, runner up in the NS twice but was ridiculously unlucky with AA selections.

Leaving aside the fact they didn't give him his first until he was in his 30's, that 2012 side was particularly annoying. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE- had Sam Mitchell in their AA teams. Mitchell easily won the best and fairest in the best side of the season, that finished top of the ladder and had a percentage well over 150. Mitchell went on to win the Brownlow. He finished high in every other award too.

When the selectors were questioned about why Mitchell missed out (cos the public were very surprised), the response was "yeah, he was one of the best players of the season but he can only play 1 position - centre - and we picked Jobe Watson there". Besides the fact that that's ridiculous logic when you have three inside mid roles and 4 on the bench, Mitchell went on to injure his shoulder that off season and had to convert from an inside clearance beast to an outside distributor role to protect his shoulder and due to his elite foot skills. He went on to be one of the best outside mid/half backs in the league the very next year, making a mockery of being unable to pick him in any other role (or even on the bench) due to an invented "inability to play any other role" (as if that matters, even if it were true, for a rep side anyway).

Cherry on top was that Watson was then found guilty of taking banned substances when his selection was the sole reason used by selectors to leave Mitchell out.

(Re-reading that post sounds super bitter about something pretty minor from 12 years ago but that's not how I meant it to come across. I'm over it, I promise - but you reminded me of some pretty funny posting and memes that was going on here about that very issue at the time)
No it totally makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choices. Do we go for Bradshaw, Lucas, or Rocca.

Fremantle with Pick 40 select Charlie Curnow

Sphynx

Barry Hall

4 x AA, Premiership Captain, AFL MVP. 11 x club leading goal kicker at 3 different clubs.

Goals per game average pretty much only inferior to Lloyd, Buddy and Fev in this pool and he played a big chunk of his career at CHF. So it elevates him right up there.

Probably one of the more underrated CV's of the modern era imo.

On raw numbers he's probably ahead of Brown, Treadrea etc imo.

tbh i panicked cos i was running late and i really thought he debuted pre-95!

Pretty happy with this line

Rioli, Lloyd, Milne
Curnow, N Riewoldt, Naitanui

Got the key Forwards and ruck sorted but it comes at a price cos I've missed some of the best small forwards.

Not sure where to go next. Do I round out with small forwards, go for the best mids, wingers, half backs with elite kicks.

Curnow, N Riewoldt, Naitanui

Got the key Forwards and ruck sorted but it comes at a price cos I've missed some of the best small forwards.

Not sure where to go next. Do I round out with small forwards, go for the best mids, wingers, half backs with elite kicks.

It is a tough choice. I wanted to get the small forwards in early as I thought there are fewer of them than there are other positions.

The best three were Rioli, Betts and Milne and after that there is a reasonable drop off.

It is a tough choice. I wanted to get the small forwards in early as I thought there are fewer of them than there are other positions.

The best three were Rioli, Betts and Milne and after that there is a reasonable drop off.

i say this as a completely biased mfc fan, obviously...

i don't think i'd necessarily take him with the next pick - i mean, i might? - but kozi pickett is tracking beautifully when compared to that trio of fantastic players

STill think there are quality small forwards available. Yes there's a drop off from Cyrill and Betts, but there are still quality smalls playing in 2024 worth picking up.

I am the only person to choose a pure backman and I selected 2 ......im having self doubt now!

I am thinking there will still be quality backmen in the 8th and 9th rounds, that is my theory anyway. I have a few defenders in mind who I think are quality but are somewhat underrated that I think may drop a little.

There are more very good tall defenders than there are very good tall forwards.

I am thinking there will still be quality backmen in the 8th and 9th rounds, that is my theory anyway. I have a few defenders in mind who I think are quality but are somewhat underrated that I think may drop a little.

There are more very good tall defenders than there are very good tall forwards.
Yes there are a few good tall Backmen left for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back