21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

My reasoning with going with both Rioli and Milne is most teams usually have one player who is really good at taking on a small forward, and having two elite small forwards is going to stretch most teams defences. I also love the extra pressure a player like Rioli puts on opposition defenders as he can take down anyone in a tackle.

I was very conscious of not having two or three lumbering key forwards who while great on paper would also be terrible defensively so the moment the ball hits the deck it is flying out of your forward line.
Yeah that is a night mare combo!

Champion Data argue the complete opposite.

Finals are a messy ground ball game and have been for 25+ years. A style of game that key forwards often really struggle in.

They go to the point of arguing key forwards are really only super valuable for top 4 qualification rather than flag consideration these days.

Small and medium forwards are often the game breakers in finals - see Bobby Hill, Toby Greene, Tyson Stengle, Tom Papley, Walters, Cyril Rioli, Paul Chapman, Steve Johnson etc.
So on average you think small forwards will score more goals in finals across their career? Because in terms of saying which games could lower or raise a player's overall average (Breust had many seasons with finals and more finals overall), that was my only point.

Respectfully, Breust's 1.39 goal average in finals says your CD point can go where the sub don't shine.

Farmer's average in finals was higher, albeit with only 10 finals we are dealing with a small sample size.

So on average you think small forwards will score more goals in finals across their career? Because in terms of saying which games could lower or raise a player's overall average (Breust had many seasons with finals and more finals overall), that was my only point.

Respectfully, Breust's 1.39 goal average in finals says your CD point can go where the sub don't shine.

Farmer's average in finals was higher, albeit with only 10 finals we are dealing with a small sample size.

I'm not saying they will score more goals. As scoring in general is lower in finals. I'm just stating what they have previously stated in terms of their data models regarding pressure, ground ball numbers etc. Finals is a game style very much suited to small and medium forwards rather than talls.

Im sure most people could recognize that regarding a conga line of forwards who have struggled in finals. Look at Charlie Curnow last year.

I also wouldn't consider 10 finals a small sample size either historically. Dustin Martin has played 16 and Jack Gunston 15 as a comparison. Bruest has played in 18 and he won 3 flags.

Also if anyone wants their teams added to the spreadsheet, you can list it here as follows so it can be copied and pasted.

All is needed is the columns here.

Shannon Hurn
Beau Dowler
Richard Tambling
Luke BreustNick Riewoldt
Charlie CurnowTony Armstrong
Nic Naitanui
Thomas Bugg
Courtney Dempsey

Also if anyone wants their teams added to the spreadsheet, you can list it here as follows so it can be copied and pasted.

Shannon Hurn
Richard Tambling
Luke BreustNick Riewoldt
Charlie CurnowTony Armstrong
Nic Naitanui

My team so far

B: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
HB: xxxx, Taylor, xxxx
C: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
HF: Milne, xxxx, Rioli
F: xxxx, Lloyd, xxxx
Foll: xxxx, Oliver, xxxx
Int: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx

My team so far

B: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
HB: xxxx, Taylor, xxxx
C: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
HF: Milne, xxxx, Rioli
F: xxxx, Lloyd, xxxx
Foll: xxxx, Oliver, xxxx
Int: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx
I'll add them as there's only a few. when you get more, it would be helpful to put into a table.

No problem at all. I am looking forward to adding two more players in picks 100 and something like 106.
I've got a bad feeling I ****ed up with Hurn. I feel there's a slightly better player in exactly the same position and I'm going to have to go unproven key defenders toward the end but I think I've got some gems.

I've also got a bad feeling in the next two rounds my desired players are going to disappear.

I've got a bad feeling I ****ed up with Hurn. I feel there's a slightly better player in exactly the same position and I'm going to have to go unproven key defenders toward the end but I think I've got some gems.

I've also got a bad feeling in the next two rounds my desired players are going to disappear.

I do as well. In saying that I am amazed at how much quality is still in the draft, but my next pick is 25 picks away, so a lot of that quality could be gone soon.

Still, I really appreciate it when people are taking players I am not personally interested in taking. Makes it a little easier, though I fully know I am also taking players others are not interested in as well.

I wish I could talk about the player I want to take next as I really rate him, but if I mention him it makes it so much more likely someone else will take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do as well. In saying that I am amazed at how much quality is still in the draft, but my next pick is 25 picks away, so a lot of that quality could be gone soon.

Still, I really appreciate it when people are taking players I am not personally interested in taking. Makes it a little easier, though I fully know I am also taking players others are not interested in as well.

I wish I could talk about the player I want to take next as I really rate him, but if I mention him it makes it so much more likely someone else will take him.
I've got two picks I'm 100% locked into and I might get them but wouldn't be surprised if someone also has the same idea.

I've got two picks I'm 100% locked into and I might get them but wouldn't be surprised if someone also has the same idea.

Yep. I know who I specifically want to take at 100 and also 105. I am not remotely confident about the player I want to take at 100 being there but I think there is a good chance of the 105 player being there as for some reason people don't rate him that much despite him being a really good player. Maybe a person who follows this players team might take him as they probably value him more than most.

Yep. I know who I specifically want to take at 100 and also 105. I am not remotely confident about the player I want to take at 100 being there but I think there is a good chance of the 105 player being there as for some reason people don't rate him that much despite him being a really good player. Maybe a person who follows this players team might take him as they probably value him more than most.
HAHA sounds like the player I want.

I'm keen to see which current players get picked up, and which players in the last few seasons get picked up.

While it's nice to have proven players, I think it will be nicer to put your faith in a young player like Noah Anderson and see him become the best player in the comp later down the track. Always the opportunity to revisit this thread.

We've discussed teams of the 21st century in other threads enough that I recon I know exactly the players you are referencing. I'll be polite and not say anything but I reckon you are safe with your "105" player even if I did. His peak was short and as you say, others don't rate him the same as you do. I think it's one of those situations where you were a bit younger and he played particularly well against the Swans which has increased his reputation in your eyes.

We've discussed teams of the 21st century in other threads enough that I recon I know exactly the players you are referencing. I'll be polite and not say anything but I reckon you are safe with your "105" player even if I did. His peak was short and as you say, others don't rate him the same as you do. I think it's one of those situations where you were a bit younger and he played particularly well against the Swans which has increased his reputation in your eyes.
He hasn't directly referenced either of the players I want so that's good news.

He hasn't directly referenced either of the players I want so that's good news.
Well judging by your choice of grammar we can eliminate a few sides that this player could be from, Geelong,Sydney,Essendon,Collingwood and Fremantle it all can not be. Leaving Hawthorn, North Melbourne, West Coast and Melbourne.

Well judging by your choice of grammar we can eliminate a few sides that this player could be from, Geelong,Sydney,Essendon,Collingwood and Fremantle it all can not be. Leaving Hawthorn, North Melbourne, West Coast and Melbourne.
I was referencing the Draft threads in the draft forums.

I'm keen to see which current players get picked up, and which players in the last few seasons get picked up.

While it's nice to have proven players, I think it will be nicer to put your faith in a young player like Noah Anderson and see him become the best player in the comp later down the track. Always the opportunity to revisit this thread.

It can be difficult. I picked Sam Taylor as my main key defender as I truly believe he has the potential to be every bit as good as Rance and Scarlett. He is extremely talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back