21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I had been looking through old games, trying to jog my memory on players and I had decided to pick Brad Green with my next pick literally 5 minutes ago :p

Simon Goodwin and Jason Horne-Francis from South Adelaide. Not many players but what a return.

Pick 262 - Windrunners - Brad Green

Kicked 350 goals across 254 games as a high half forward, providing a lead up target, crumbing option and plenty of grunt/forward pressure.
An especially pleasing number of goals considering he played much of his prime in a severely poorly performing Melbourne team.

Was renowned for his toughness and leadership, even going on to captain the Australian team against Ireland.

Unlucky not to make All Australian (did make the squad - but hardly any of these types of players make the team!) but was a club B&F winner.

FB: Enright - Weitering - Maxwell
HB: Sinclair - Talia - Goddard
C: Merrett - Mitchell- McCluggage
HF: Parker - Darling - B. Green
FF ? - Walker - ?
R: Gawn - Pendlebury - Thompson
B: ? - ? - ? - ?

RedmanWasHere you’re up
Some very good players to come out of the Mariners. I would have taken them all

Time for me to take 2 x AA Austinn "Aussie" Jones

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB-Jones Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Bell Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Brayshaw
Int - - - -
Sub -

Noooo...

One of the first names I wrote down at the start of the draft. Haven't picked him yet given the sheer depth of HBF'ers but considered at the pick I took Gaff for the wing instead. Had some consistency issues and retired early but was an absolute gun at times.

Was a massive favorite of mine as a kid/teen and one of the most popular players at my high school. Fast, dashing, took the game on - was great to watch!

Was going to be the first player I took based on my like for him moreso than a strict resume/output based decision

(Might even post the goal he kicked in the '97 GF)

Here's 4 of his finest, with the '97 GF the last one )

Last edited:
Funny you say that because I was concerned I was going short.

I guess in terms of that 6'6+ you've got marginally 2.

I think I was looking at their game style. Schulz was always a lead up player probably a Jack Riewoldt clone. Lukosius to me is like Oscar Allen type forward, could be a Jeremy Cameron type.

Then you have McKay AND Bradshaw.

Anyway I think I've got a player in mind.

Hawthorn wanted to pick a player who can defend the high-quality opposition smalls our opponents have.

We considered a few for this pick, noting some good ones have gone (Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Nick Vlastuin, Brad Sheppard, Sean Dempster, etc.)

These guys tend to be underrated players so are harder to find through the usual methods (awards, etc).

A few I considered are Neville Jetta (underrated as a shut down player), Michael Hibberd (similar), Stiffy Johncock and perhaps with some club bias, Ben Stratton and Blake Hardwick.

In the end, I've chosen someone whose defensive capabilities go a little unnoticed sometimes but he is actually very good at shutting out opposition smalls BUT also adds plenty of offensive drive as well, with dash, running bounces and clever kicks.

Hawthorn selects......Adam Saad.

whatwhatsaywhat

Hawthorn wanted to pick a player who can defend the high-quality opposition smalls our opponents have.

We considered a few for this pick, noting some good ones have gone (Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Nick Vlastuin, Brad Sheppard, Sean Dempster, etc.)

These guys tend to be underrated players so are harder to find through the usual methods (awards, etc).

A few I considered are Neville Jetta (underrated as a shut down player), Michael Hibberd (similar), Stiffy Johncock and perhaps with some club bias, Ben Stratton and Blake Hardwick.

In the end, I've chosen someone whose defensive capabilities go a little unnoticed sometimes but he is actually very good at shutting out opposition smalls BUT also adds plenty of offensive drive as well, with dash, running bounces and clever kicks.

Hawthorn selects......Adam Saad.

whatwhatsaywhat
Seriously HAWK, you've just mentioned a player on my list and now everyone knows about him. He was a well kept secret. Thanks mate.

Angry He Man GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and has yet to been picked, but he gives me another super speedy outside type who can also go forward, AND played a heap of games on ball as well, but for starters... daniel wells, that wing spot is yours

B: ? - Steven May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - Kade Simpson
C: Daniel Wells - Sam Walsh - Peter Burgoyne
HF: Kane Lambert - Cameron Mooney - James McDonald
F: ? - Tom Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?

he's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and has yet to been picked, but he gives me another super speedy outside type who can also go forward, AND played a heap of games on ball as well, but for starters... daniel wells, that wing spot is yours

B: ? - Steven May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - Kade Simpson
C: Daniel Wells - Sam Walsh - Peter Burgoyne
HF: Kane Lambert - Cameron Mooney - James McDonald
F: ? - Tom Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?
Great pick up.
I very nearly picked him up but just went Westhoff for my structure

Thanks. Shannon Grant was the missing piece. My only concern, maybe I'm overthinking it is my two tall defenders. I think they're great but they aren't as good as Scarlo. I think you're realistically defending 3 talls. The third is usually a 1.95m tall third man up. I think Howe has good smarts and awareness for ball tracking and provides a quality third man up defender, and don't undestimate Birchall to defend either. Hurn is a solid choice too. My last defender I'm not entirely sure what I want now that Kade Simpson is gone. I'd like to experiment with Ballard but he's still a way to go.
Yeah I thought about Beau Waters but didn’t realise till I checked how little amount of games he played. Bryce Gibbs might be ok off a half back flank.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back