21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

he's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and has yet to been picked, but he gives me another super speedy outside type who can also go forward, AND played a heap of games on ball as well, but for starters... daniel wells, that wing spot is yours

B: ? - Steven May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - Kade Simpson
C: Daniel Wells - Sam Walsh - Peter Burgoyne
HF: Kane Lambert - Cameron Mooney - James McDonald
F: ? - Tom Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?
Great wingman in a good side smooth as butter.

Yeah I thought about Beau Waters but didn’t realise till I checked how little amount of games he played. Bryce Gibbs might be ok off a half back flank.
Was always a risk but there are players that had mediocre careers who could have really been something had they been in a great team. Had you thrown Jarred Brennan into a premiership contender he could have been amazing.

Thanks. Shannon Grant was the missing piece. My only concern, maybe I'm overthinking it is my two tall defenders. I think they're great but they aren't as good as Scarlo. I think you're realistically defending 3 talls. The third is usually a 1.95m tall third man up. I think Howe has good smarts and awareness for ball tracking and provides a quality third man up defender, and don't undestimate Birchall to defend either. Hurn is a solid choice too. My last defender I'm not entirely sure what I want now that Kade Simpson is gone. I'd like to experiment with Ballard but he's still a way to go.
Most, if not all defences would be open to criticism. The main ones being "could they deal with three gun talls?" or "who shuts down a fleet of small forwards?". If you somehow covered both tracks with 3 elite tall and small nullifiers, I suspect you would then be left with "in the modern game, that defence looks light in rebounding/intercepting machines who turn defence into attack". But a defence full of guns (whatever their attributes) will likely defend, cover for each other and rebound fairly well unless you have genuinely picked no talls etc.

Was always a risk but there are players that had mediocre careers who could have really been something had they been in a great team. Had you thrown Jarred Brennan into a premiership contender he could have been amazing.

I won't include him here but I will die on this hill when I say if Luke Tapscott was drafted to a good or great team he would have had a very good career.

I still can't see what the recruiters saw in Jimmy Toumpas, and it wasn't just Melbourne. They said he was fast, and an elite user of the footy. He was not an AFL player.

I still can't see what the recruiters saw in Jimmy Toumpas, and it wasn't just Melbourne. They said he was fast, and an elite user of the footy. He was not an AFL player.

his junior years were absolutely elite

double hip operation after the sanfl season in his draft year was the end of him

slow as treacle and nowhere near strong enough in the contest, and by the end of his time in the afl his skills had completely deserted him, presumably due to a complete loss of confidence

but his junior years? 100% was tracking to be a brilliant afl-level player

I see the argument for if he was picked by a good club, the other side of it is the person or people in that persons position were probably very good as well so opportunity may of been limited. James Podsiadly I think was part of the squad of Bombers for 2000 competing against Lloyd and Lucas and then Collingwood with Tarrant and Rocca a few seasons later, years later he came to the Cats who didn’t quite have that calibre of tall forwards and I am thankful they never gave him a go at the other clubs 😂 as dark as that sounds.

I see the argument for if he was picked by a good club, the other side of it is the person or people in that persons position were probably very good as well so opportunity may of been limited. James Podsiadly I think was part of the squad of Bombers for 2000 competing against Lloyd and Lucas and then Collingwood with Tarrant and Rocca a few seasons later, years later he came to the Cats who didn’t quite have that calibre of tall forwards and I am thankful they never gave him a go at the other clubs 😂 as dark as that sounds.

Craig Bolton could not get a game at Brisbane and he turned out to be the Swans best key defender for the last few decades at least. Easy to imagine a scenario where he didn't get a second chance at another club.

There's some good Hawthorn players left but even if I can convince myself Frawley was more Melbourne than Hawthorn (he did play more seasons as a Demon), he still wore those nasty colours for a time. Which along with Sicily makes it two Hawks already. Can I really live with myself if I have more Hawks in my team than any other club representees?

Unfortunately Hawthorn, along with Geelong and Sydney, have simply had the biggest pool of good players over this period. I have two Swans and two Cats, but have tried not to take any of the latter after Selwood/Stewart. In a similar vein though, for value picks I am at the stage where some are too good to be ignored in the upcoming rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I thought about Beau Waters but didn’t realise till I checked how little amount of games he played. Bryce Gibbs might be ok off a half back flank.

There's some good Hawthorn players left but even if I can convince myself Frawley was more Melbourne than Hawthorn (he did play more seasons as a Demon), he still wore those nasty colours for a time. Which along with Sicily makes it two Hawks already. Can I really live with myself if I have more Hawks in my team than any other club representees?

Unfortunately Hawthorn, along with Geelong and Sydney, have simply had the biggest pool of good players over this period. I have two Swans and two Cats, but have tried not to take any of the latter after Selwood/Stewart. In a similar vein though, for value picks I am at the stage where some are too good to be ignored in the upcoming rounds.
I was going to ask you opinion on someone but now I'm worried they're on your list. 🤣

Pick #267 Craig McRae

Title: “Fly McRae: The Maverick Who Paints the Sky Purple”

By Fremantle Football Club
Published: August 3, 2024

Fly McRae: The Maverick Who Paints the Sky Purple

In the celestial draft room, where stars align and destinies unfurl, we faced a choice—a crossroads where stats bowed to spirit, and heart trumped spreadsheets. Craig “Fly” McRae stood before us—a man whose aura defied numbers, whose wingspan reached beyond the boundary line. And when the dust settled, we knew: McRae was our comet—the one that blazed across the purple sky.

The Stat Sheet Whispers: McRae’s Quiet Symphony

Let’s talk stats. They’re like ancient scrolls—full of truths and half-truths. McRae’s? Respectable, but not earth-shattering. Goals kicked, tackles laid—solid, yet not seismic. But here’s the thing: McRae’s game wasn’t a spreadsheet; it was a symphony. His kicks—the brushstrokes of a painter—created patterns on the field. His tackles—the heartbeat of a warrior—echoed in the locker room. McRae wasn’t just a player; he was a maestro conducting footy’s secret sonata.

The Leadership Alchemy: Turning Sweat into Gold

We had stars—Riewoldt, Breust, Butters—the constellations that lit up Optus Stadium. But McRae? He was the North Star—the one that guided us through storms. His voice—soft-spoken, yet thunderous—rallied the troops. “Lads,” he’d say, “we’re not just chasing wins; we’re chasing magic.” And suddenly, the mundane became extraordinary. McRae’s leadership wasn’t about speeches; it was about alchemy—turning sweat into gold, defeats into lessons.

Enthusiasm, Unleashed: The Fly Effect

Picture this: McRae in the huddle, eyes ablaze, arms gesticulating like a wizard conjuring spells. His enthusiasm—contagious as laughter—infused the Dockers. He’d high-five Serong, whisper encouragement to Butters, and lift Howe after a soaring mark. McRae believed in the little things—the chase-down tackle, the shepherd, the selfless handball. “Boys,” he’d say, “the sky’s the limit. Let’s fly.”

The Attitude Altitude: McRae’s Uplifting Currents

Attitude—McRae’s secret ingredient. He didn’t just play; he danced with the wind. Losses? Temporary gusts. Wins? Uplifting currents. His smile—the sun breaking through clouds—warmed the coldest days. And when the Dockers ran out, McRae led the charge. “Lads,” he’d remind them, “we’re not just playing footy; we’re painting the sky purple.”

The Little Things, Big Impact: McRae’s Legacy

So why McRae? Because legends aren’t forged in spreadsheets; they’re etched in hearts. He’ll bring more than goals, more than marks. He’ll bring belief—the kind that turns underdogs into contenders. His legacy? It won’t be a stat line; it’ll be the way the young guns—Butters, Serong—look up to him. McRae—the maverick, the comet, our North Star.

Learn more:

Got a story idea? Contact our sports desk at sports@fremantledockers.com.au.

Last edited:
With midfielders getting swept up left right and centre lately, I feel compelled to take a genuine A grader that will add to my depth there. I have some very classy players to distribute it to, so someone who adds grunt with in and under contested work will really compliment them.

Westside Pavlovas select Touk Miller.

A dual All Australian, AFLCA winner and 2x B&F winner.

Ticking along at 23.5 disposals (10.8 contested), 4.5 clearances and 5.5 tackles over his career. A fine on-field leader who has been co-captain since 2022. Gold Coast's biggest games have been the contests against Brisbane and Miller has received 4 Ashcroft Medals for B.O.G from those.

Gold Coast have a player in my side now (Malceski was far more a Swan than a Sun).

This selection is allowing me to move Boomer forward, although his dual position status remains.

FB: T.Stewart J.Frawley --
HB: H.Lumumba J.Sicily N.Malceski

C: D.Hannebery S.Goodwin A.Embley
FOL: -- T.Miller J.Selwood

HF: B.Harvey M.Pavlich B.Deledio
FF: C.Wingard J.Hogan C.Cameron

Last edited:
That Nic Nat, Serong, Butters full forward line is wild.

Gia in the ruck is where I draw the line.
I'm a noob with Powerpoint. I fixed it.

I need a better designer app. I don't get publisher

Pick #267 Craig McRae

Title: “Fly McRae: The Maverick Who Paints the Sky Purple”

By Fremantle Football Club
Published: August 3, 2024

Fly McRae: The Maverick Who Paints the Sky Purple

In the celestial draft room, where stars align and destinies unfurl, we faced a choice—a crossroads where stats bowed to spirit, and heart trumped spreadsheets. Craig “Fly” McRae stood before us—a man whose aura defied numbers, whose wingspan reached beyond the boundary line. And when the dust settled, we knew: McRae was our comet—the one that blazed across the purple sky.

The Stat Sheet Whispers: McRae’s Quiet Symphony

Let’s talk stats. They’re like ancient scrolls—full of truths and half-truths. McRae’s? Respectable, but not earth-shattering. Goals kicked, tackles laid—solid, yet not seismic. But here’s the thing: McRae’s game wasn’t a spreadsheet; it was a symphony. His kicks—the brushstrokes of a painter—created patterns on the field. His tackles—the heartbeat of a warrior—echoed in the locker room. McRae wasn’t just a player; he was a maestro conducting footy’s secret sonata.

The Leadership Alchemy: Turning Sweat into Gold

We had stars—Riewoldt, Breust, Butters—the constellations that lit up Optus Stadium. But McRae? He was the North Star—the one that guided us through storms. His voice—soft-spoken, yet thunderous—rallied the troops. “Lads,” he’d say, “we’re not just chasing wins; we’re chasing magic.” And suddenly, the mundane became extraordinary. McRae’s leadership wasn’t about speeches; it was about alchemy—turning sweat into gold, defeats into lessons.

Enthusiasm, Unleashed: The Fly Effect

Picture this: McRae in the huddle, eyes ablaze, arms gesticulating like a wizard conjuring spells. His enthusiasm—contagious as laughter—infused the Dockers. He’d high-five Serong, whisper encouragement to Butters, and lift Howe after a soaring mark. McRae believed in the little things—the chase-down tackle, the shepherd, the selfless handball. “Boys,” he’d say, “the sky’s the limit. Let’s fly.”

The Attitude Altitude: McRae’s Uplifting Currents

Attitude—McRae’s secret ingredient. He didn’t just play; he danced with the wind. Losses? Temporary gusts. Wins? Uplifting currents. His smile—the sun breaking through clouds—warmed the coldest days. And when the Dockers ran out, McRae led the charge. “Lads,” he’d remind them, “we’re not just playing footy; we’re painting the sky purple.”

The Little Things, Big Impact: McRae’s Legacy

So why McRae? Because legends aren’t forged in spreadsheets; they’re etched in hearts. He’ll bring more than goals, more than marks. He’ll bring belief—the kind that turns underdogs into contenders. His legacy? It won’t be a stat line; it’ll be the way the young guns—Butters, Serong—look up to him. McRae—the maverick, the comet, our North Star.

Learn more:

Got a story idea? Contact our sports desk at sports@fremantledockers.com.au.
Why you guys laughing? The story, or my selection

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back