Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Favourite player on the list. Love watching him play. Imo he's the best hb in the league. He doesn't vet the credit but he provides as much run and carry as anyone else but is much more versatile and is now legitimately a good defender. Spoils everything these days

yes!
i remember the hype that built up around adam saad (and a couple of other players) in his first few years ...
blakey is a comprehensive upgrade on saad, is a far better kick and there's no comparison on aerial skills, yet gets none of that level of (vic media) adulation
blakey is one of the most dangerous players in the league, not just among halfbacks
he is also a much better defender than he was 12-18 months ago, and he definitely doesn't get the credit for that, even on this board

It's a credit to both him and the club that he's become such a valuable player so quickly. There was plently to be excited about from his first couple of seasons but there was always that worry that he'd be another Garry Rohan type who couldn't impact the game or that he wouldn't have the situational awareness to play down back. He's become a real weapon.

i've posted a fair bit about blakey ... and i'm happy to repeat: he is a unique player ... other players share some of his talents, but no one comes close
his instinctive nature and willingness to attack as soon as he gets the ball in his hands, combined with his brilliant acceleration, skills and that kicking ability, make him a nightmare for opponents
and out of necessity, he's developed the defensive side to his game
we need to make a priority of sorting out our key defensive positions, if only to free him up to go back to terrorising opposition teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely he should be in the team. As a rebounding defender, he provides more defence and is more versatile than the players he's competing with
You see here is the issue, you can't have a rebounding HBF in the AA side when those positions are reserved for inside mids. Just like the wings, HFF and FP

Absolutely he should be in the team. As a rebounding defender, he provides more defence and is more versatile than the players he's competing with

No chance, was more shocked he made the squad, it's a great recognition, but he'll be behind a few

Could someone with more technical skillz than me post a side by side image showing The Lizard and James Borlase. Then, I want to know are these the opposite ends of the spectrum for shoulders in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back