Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
As per the requested lovefest above, I'll add my two cents.

I think the reason I love Blakey is that he's not just an excitement machine. At his best he is. He's wildly entertaining and awesome to watch, doing things no one else on the ground - or even in the competition - can do.

But at his worst, he can still be good. Take his game the other night. No flash, nothing special. Just the hard stuff. He's showtime when he wants to be and blue collar when he needs to be. You don't find that combination in many players.
Cmon C88, you also like him because he’s fast. It’s ok to admit it :)

He is having a fantastic year and good to see he has pulled up ok from last week.

Still wonder why he wasn't born with shoulders

I thought he was exceptional on Sunday. Kudos to the coaches for matching him up with Cameron. Rendered him virtually ineffective while still contributing on the counter. Also allowed Melican and TMac to do as they pleased with the other talls.

Don't recall Blakey going anywhere near Curnow vs Carlton but you'd have to think that is real option next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a fantastic player he has become.

Easy to forget that this time in 2021, he was running around in the reserves and his career seemed to be not going anywhere fast.

I wouldn't be moving him now, but I do wonder what he could do if he was moved into the midfield.
Depending on the team makeup I can see him playing in the midfield but at the moment he adds more running out of defence

Depending on the team makeup I can see him playing in the midfield but at the moment he adds more running out of defence
A lot more. He would be one of the first picked in AA at half back. The chaos he causes in opposition defences is priceless. In the middle he would struggle to break free. Nah.

Blakey came good in the 4th after what I thought was actually an ordinary game by his standards.

Even in the 4th, that stupid kick he tried to drill to Heeney off the kick in very nearly resulted in a turnover that would have put us well and truly to bed.

What a fantastic player he has become.

Easy to forget that this time in 2021, he was running around in the reserves and his career seemed to be not going anywhere fast.

I wouldn't be moving him now, but I do wonder what he could do if he was moved into the midfield.
Right? He drove me crazy in those days and part of me thought he wasn't going to make it. To become the footballer he has and to make the AA in particular is a huge testament to his resilience and talent. Good on ya Liz!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back