Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things about his reaction/interview

*strikes me that he has a super old school no-nonsense, meat and potatoes working-class toughness to him, and those kinds of kids are often raised with the notion that spontaneous expressions of emotion, big noting yourself/assuming youve achieved something just by being drafted and making a spectacle of yourself is wussy sh*t, the polar opposite of alot of gen-z footballers we have become used to in this day and age

*Imagine if Carey was acquired via the draft, and there was a draft night show back then, what reaction would you imagine from a deeply insecure, stone faced, slightly shady looking 18 year-old Wayne sitting next to a scowling, grizzled, probably half-stung old Kev Carey? significantly less animated and less encouraging than what we witnessed tonight I would have thought, worked out ok in the end

*If he is genuinely devvo and hoped he was going elsewhere, it's worth remembering that in the Pear's tarps era, they recruited Ollie Wines, his dad was "absolutely gutted" and his mum "cried all night" and worried her son "was going to football hell". Worked out ok in the end.

*It seems naive hoping he is going to be 100% into the idea of coming to North and not have any reservations considering the onfield quagmire the club is in, that would be very reasonable, wanting him to be happy he is coming to North suggests we have faith this will turn around yeh? if we dont have any faith this will turn around, well then why are we getting angry at Geordie?

Last edited:

You do realise geordies and scousers are from opposite sides of the country?

That’s the point, like calling a red head Bluey or calling a bloke with a last name Swallow Spitta

I’m amazed that we have so many body reading experts in here.
I can tell by the way you typed that sentence it’s filled with sarcasm DD..

I’m surprised at the negative assumptions about this lad, maybe he’s looking at it and thinking that the upside for playing in the worst team in the comp is a/ I’m gunna be playing AFL footy pretty soon and b/ I’m likely to be raising the standards in their forward line straight away 👍

Hey everyone, just coming to pop in with some outside view of Geordie.

Played a lot of footy with him, cricket aswell for a little while and went to primary school with him.

As a person, you’d of seen already with the reaction to being drafted, he is naturally like that, he is reserved until you get to know him and he opens up a lot.

As a player when we played which included some U18 before I left, he always played midfield and tried to be a Fyfe type. Flew for marks around the ground, good speed, great in the contest, good forward as a target. But as shown he needs to improve his kicking, decision making and that’ll come from honing in at AFL level. He works extremely hard and is a super competitor. Hates losing. Made the change from midfield to defense in his draft year, unlucky to miss out but plays better around the ball and forward of it. Also a natural leader on field.

Super excited to watch him play, he joins Seth Campbell from Richmond who he played with a lot and Lachie Cowan from Carlton who he played against in the NWFL in Tassie as juniors.

Some people going early and having a go at the pick from his role and reaction and other stuff. But you’ll get 100% from him and that’s what is key.

Will play forward early but will eventually get midfield time as he loves being around the contest.

You’ve got a good one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripper, a lad with humility and attitude.

Bloke didn’t want to be seen crying - some old school toughness this list is screaming out for.

And for those wanting him to come straight in, please!

Give the club and the kid a few weeks to assess where he is at physically and if he’s all good unleash him.

We haven’t had an excitement and tackling machine up forward like him since Phoenix.

Bloke didn’t want to be seen crying - some old school toughness this list is screaming out for.

Give the club and the kid a few weeks to assess where he is at physically and if he’s all good unleash him.

We haven’t had an excitement and tackling machine up forward like him since Phoenix.

Oh dear, that is a truly unfortunate comparison.

Did you mean LT?

Has campaigner in him..... exactly what we need

could he be a better polished version of kayne turner?? the attitude looks good??

Where is he at?
06:00-07:30 - Hitting the gym at Arden street.

07:45-09:00 - Taking individual goal kicking practice at Arden street.

09:01- watching as some of the senior players wander into Arden street, tired after another big night of Call of Duty or Social Media posting.

09:05-11:00 - pulling the senior players aside and advising them that standards at Arden st have now changed, and they better fuking get use to it!

Welcome to North Geordie, think i can sympathise with him a bit on some of the reactions to the video of him at home getting picked. Young country kid, all of a sudden media all over him, with all of his family in the lounge room full of light's, camera's, probably a few reporter's and journo's around too, reckon i will reserve judgement till i see him in action a few times before passing judgement, go well young man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back