Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at how defensive and sensitive we have become after all these years of pain. Kid hasn't said a word and we are already jumping on.

Welcome to the club Geordie!
The club definitely needs to include 3 complimentary counseling sessions for all members signing up next year!

My question is (as I have no knowledge of the player) - why wasn't he drafted?

There must be something that was considered not AFL standard?

Is it speed? disposal (please no)? outside player?

When he was playing in defence last year his composure and disposal wasn't up to scratch. He'd often rush and just try bomb it long. He also tested poorly in the 2km time trial at the combine (bottom 15%).

Is definitely more suited to playing half forward where he can apply his defensive intent and use his closing speed to good affect. He tests really well for 5-10-20m sprint times, vertical leap, running vertical leap and agility. He is still very rough around the edges with his decision making and kicking inside 50.

I'd like him to kick it better...and he doesn't appear to have many outstanding physical traits.

Equal 4th for vertical leap at the combine last year and runs a 2.98 20m sprint (top 10ish for all combine athletes last year)

He has some athletic tools at his disposal.

Equal 4th for vertical leap at the combine last year and runs a 2.98 20m sprint (top 10ish for all combine athletes last year)

He has some athletic tools at his disposal.

At 184, the 2.98 doesn't impress me a great deal. Vertical, ok. Indicative of some power.

Unless they plan to re position players, I don't see how he, Ford, Curtis, Duursma and CZ play together. In fact, I don't see how two don't miss each week.

At 184, the 2.98 doesn't impress me a great deal. Vertical, ok. Indicative of some power.

Unless they plan to re position players, I don't see how he, Ford, Curtis, Duursma and CZ play together. In fact, I don't see how two don't miss each week.

He is a really good ground ball player. Inside forward 50 we are the worst team in the comp at competing for ground balls.

That, combined with his defensive intensity suggests there could be a role there for him as a small pressure forward.

My concern with that role for him though, is that he isn't an elite runner, so not sure how he'll go maintaining that intensity if he gets the opportunity at AFL level.

I spoke to someone yesterday morning who knows his coach and other people involved in AFL Tassie youth pathways and they all knew he was going to North with the draft. The person I spoke to said wtte of "Good news for Geordie Payne, he's going to North. The club told him last week."

Ahhh he said in his SEN interview he had no idea

My lord his reaction was painful to watch lol I don't think he could hide his feelings on not wanting to come to North (I honestly don't blame him) especially considering it was a complete shock to him, because he had no idea North were even interested. I mean any young kid, going to one of the worst teams in history (losing culture) would be shattering haha we are a laughing stock to the AFL ATM

I am not a expert in reactions though, so WTF would i know haha at least the kid is raw and shows real emotion 💙
What??? His dream of playing for an AFL club has just come true and you think he’s worried about going to the bottom team with Clarko as coach and Harry, George and Colby to name a few!! Give me a break! That’s just hilarious!! Do yourself a favour and buy some positivity! It will make you feel much better!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the second quickest player over 5m at the State Combine last year and if he tested at the National Combine he would have been the quickest over the first 5m.

For 10m, he was the 3rd quickest at the State Combine and would have been 4th quickest at the National Combine.

Bodes well for a defensive pressure forward type role.

I'll critique his footy, but this stuff is unfair. He's a kid whose life just turned upside down.
you saying I'm being unfair???.....I was merely pointing out that he seems like no-nonsense sort of kid who doesn't speak in usual rubbish. I love that about him.

Or have I misunderstood your post?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back