24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Last edited:

My main hope for this trade period is that we do not get reamed as I reckon we have been over some trades that have gone before. Not that I think we have much to trade with unless someone still wants Lobbe. At the moment our first draft pick is looking like it could be near 30, assuming a top 8 finish and a few academy picks. Another man-boy like SPP would be a good pick if someone like that slips to us.

I'd trade Lobbe out, even if we have to pay some of his salary. A partial financial dead loss, rather then a complete one. Hammer to go up for trade again. And if other clubs really did show interest in Sam Gray, take that 4th round pick and start the car. it'd be too much to hope anyone showed interest in Neade. If we could package Gray and Neade for a packet of chips we're getting away with highway robbery (ok, I'm heightist. Dwarves and Hobbits belong in books and movies not Port teams).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a whole lot of players out of contract and no first round pick so I think it is safe to assume this will be a quite trade/draft period for us.

Free Agency:
The priority should be to keep Jackson Trengove. Pittard is a more interesting case, I wouldn't want to lose him for nothing but the talk is Jason Johannisen has offers up to $900k per year, if Pittard is two thirds of that we would be looking at a first round compo.

Fyfe and Martin will get all the attention but Luke Bruest is available and could be a great fit for us. Presumably we don't have the cash though.

Trade:
Inexplicably Lobbe and Neade are still contracted but I doubt there would be any interest at all.

I can't think of any trade targets that I would be chasing with much vigour. Young South Australian Bailey Williams (WBD) is out of contract and if things look like dragging on then he would be worth a sniff - hard at it utility/potential big midfielder.

Draft:
For the first time in a while our list looks well balanced!

I think a lot of the delistings this year will be quite experienced players and so I wouldn't be surprised if our final 2-3 picks again come from the state leagues.

Just a look at all the second year and third year players on our list that would be coming through next year and most are 21 years old or younger at 2018 season start:

SPP
Marshall
Frampton
Austin
Bonner
Atley
Drew
AJ
Doogs (22)
DBJ (22)
Palmer
Snelling
Ladhams
Lienert (23)
Houston
Hewett

It's good to not be as interested in the draft this year.

Hard to tell at this early stage. Could go 1st round, might fall to 2nd or 3rd. A 195cm lightning quick key defender who can swing forward would be wonderful

2nd round compo for Pittard, bundle our 2 2nds for a 1st and move up to grab the BPA?

*I have no idea how deep this draft is, or how many good players, but I just like to play along

apparently pittard has said he is staying and waiting on cba before signing.

If he did leave we would get a shot load better than 2nd rounder. The list of 28-32 yr old players who have gotten 2nd round compo for 400-450k contracts is far too long for pittard to get less than that

apparently pittard has said he is staying and waiting on cba before signing.
If he did leave we would get a shot load better than 2nd rounder. The list of 28-32 yr old players who have gotten 2nd round compo for 400-450k contracts is far too long for pittard to get less than that

You appear to be basing that on the assumption that afl compensation rules have a skerrick of logic in them. Let me put your mind at rest about that, they don't. After the Franklin and Frawley farces where the compo picks were respectively too little and too much the afl will be loath to give any pick that is higher than start of second round, whatever contract is offered them.

Remove this Banner Ad

24/11/17 6pm National Draft: Picks 47, 51, 58, 60 + 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Back