AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will do my write up later today but he was our best and even though I still think he is a bit away physically he is ready to play some games now. Two weeks ago I would have said no but now he has played 5 VFL games and been in the best 6 in all of them he is ready for another look.
at least it has nothing to do with how crap Phillips has been the past two weeks :p

at least it has nothing to do with how crap Phillips has been the past two weeks :p
Well if Phillips had not been crap he would not be getting a look in.:)
I was serious about not giving him the nod two weeks ago. Just wanted to see him playing 5 or 6 games of good footy before we picked him. :cool:

Okay. This week was a total domination.
37Hit outs
19 kicks
6 handballs
2 tackles
11 marks
8 clearances
Easily the best on the ground for us. The best part was he took marks around the ground and found a heap of the footy. Rucked against Ben Miller and Bigoa Nyuon.
Still think he will be physically challenged at AFL level but he now has a really solid stretch of VFL form which in my opinion he needed before looking at AFL selection. I think he should be playing next week.

He'll play next week because tere is no way phillips is playing.

I’m not quite as certain as you -

Phillips was no worse last night than he’d been the month prior.

We’re also post Round 10 and Scott hasn’t dropped anyone aged over 25 at all this season.

I want to see it happen, am just not so sure it will.

Okay. This week was a total domination.
37Hit outs
19 kicks
6 handballs
2 tackles
11 marks
8 clearances
Easily the best on the ground for us. The best part was he took marks around the ground and found a heap of the footy. Rucked against Ben Miller and Bigoa Nyuon.
Still think he will be physically challenged at AFL level but he now has a really solid stretch of VFL form which in my opinion he needed before looking at AFL selection. I think he should be playing next week.

Good to hear. He's good enough that this should almost be his base.

This is the sort of game that actually justifies him taking over from Phillips. Maybe 3 games at a time with Phillips to play every 4th.

I’m not quite as certain as you -

Phillips was no worse last night than he’d been the month prior.

We’re also post Round 10 and Scott hasn’t dropped anyone aged over 25 at all this season.

I want to see it happen, am just not so sure it will.
The difference is they would have wanted to see Bryan play 5 or 6 games of real good footy before looking at him as he had concussion and a calf injury early this year. There was no way they would have been looking at him in the ruck until he played at least 4 games. They may not pick him but now it would be a mistake if they did not give him 2 or 3 games at least.

Given Phillips had 1 possession, Bryan has been dominating in VFL and 2MP is nearing return, it would be criminal not to play him this week. If nothing else, Flipper needs a rest, although maybe he doesn't after a 1 possession game and being subbed out.

There was a time when I thought Bryan had more upside than Draper. He still could. If we don't play him, he will leave for other opportunities. Phillips ain't getting any younger and we don't want to lose Bryan I wouldn't have thought. When 2MP is back, presumably Weid and 2MP will back up ruck. We can't play Phillips/Bryan plus 2MP in same team. I saw a bit of the VFL and saw some contested marking around the ground which is what our AFL rucks don't do enough of.

Given Phillips had 1 possession, Bryan has been dominating in VFL and 2MP is nearing return, it would be criminal not to play him this week. If nothing else, Flipper needs a rest, although maybe he doesn't after a 1 possession game and being subbed out.

There was a time when I thought Bryan had more upside than Draper. He still could. If we don't play him, he will leave for other opportunities. Phillips ain't getting any younger and we don't want to lose Bryan I wouldn't have thought. When 2MP is back, presumably Weid and 2MP will back up ruck. We can't play Phillips/Bryan plus 2MP in same team. I saw a bit of the VFL and saw some contested marking around the ground which is what our AFL rucks don't do enough of.
I think he should play this week but the few contested marks he had this week was a big step up. He actually has not been great in that department so far this year. I would not be hoping he can solve that issue just yet.

The difference is they would have wanted to see Bryan play 5 or 6 games of real good footy before looking at him as he had concussion and a calf injury early this year. There was no way they would have been looking at him in the ruck until he played at least 4 games. They may not pick him but now it would be a mistake if they did not give him 2 or 3 games at least.

Definitely some fair and valid points - I just think if they don't play him this week, there's a 99% chance he's gone. And really, he'd be a fool to stay (if not picked this week).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely some fair and valid points - I just think if they don't play him this week, there's a 99% chance he's gone. And really, he'd be a fool to stay (if not picked this week).
It would be a mistake not to play him now but I think it is still too early to say he will be gone. If he plays no games for the season it may be an issue but even then they can talk him up as the next number 2 ruck as well as the next club could. Even more so if they did not give Phillips a contract. He is a 21 year old ruck. He would know the reality of things. No one else is offering a number one ruck spot to him and he will know where his development is at. Other clubs will be asking and making offers but it would be nothing we could not match. It is not the same situation as a 21 year old midfielder or even KP player. The rucks take a lot longer unless they are absolute A grade.

It would be a mistake not to play him now but I think it is still too early to say he will be gone. If he plays no games for the season it may be an issue but even then they can talk him up as the next number 2 ruck as well as the next club could. Even more so if they did not give Phillips a contract. He is a 21 year old ruck. He would know the reality of things. No one else is offering a number one ruck spot to him and he will know where his development is at. Other clubs will be asking and making offers but it would be nothing we could not match. It is not the same situation as a 21 year old midfielder or even KP player. The rucks take a lot longer unless they are absolute A grade.
If Essendon wants him to stay they can certainly match any salary that other clubs throw his way, and with Flip evidently coming towards the end there’s a clear opportunity about to open up for Bryan and a need for the club to retain him. With a 23 man line up including the sub, two rucks will be the fashion for as long as his next contract is likely to be. It’s illogical for him or his manager to want to request a trade now 🤔

The other side of it is that his next contract isn’t forever… if he wants to leave he can still leave after that contract, if solo rucks come back into fashion by then, when his body is mature enough and his craft is good enough to solo ruck at the level. Maybe he’s even a free agent. And when that time comes, other rucks will have retired at other clubs, he knows which clubs are able to offer good money/long contracts/good environment/good coach/good prospects for a flag tilt/whatever else he dreams of…

All of the above will still be true next week regardless of whether he plays on Saturday.

If Essendon wants him to stay they can certainly match any salary that other clubs throw his way, and with Flip evidently coming towards the end there’s a clear opportunity about to open up for Bryan and a need for the club to retain him. With a 23 man line up including the sub, two rucks will be the fashion for as long as his next contract is likely to be. It’s illogical for him or his manager to want to request a trade now 🤔

The other side of it is that his next contract isn’t forever… if he wants to leave he can still leave after that contract, if solo rucks come back into fashion by then, when his body is mature enough and his craft is good enough to solo ruck at the level. Maybe he’s even a free agent. And when that time comes, other rucks will have retired at other clubs, he knows which clubs are able to offer good money/long contracts/good environment/good coach/good prospects for a flag tilt/whatever else he dreams of…

All of the above will still be true next week regardless of whether he plays on Saturday.
Who knows. If he signs for another 2 seasons and finds the next level he may pass Sam :cool:

Also a possibility… and a good reason to match any salary he might be offered
Yeah they won't let him go. It's a crap shoot btw him and Draper at present to see who will be better. Bryan is a true footballer with a lot of class and has my vote, though Draper may surprise with another level given he has that insane freak athleticism. In truth I think they will both be quite dominant in 3 years time.

Flagsendon 2026 :)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back