Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I really can't figure out why some weeks he can seemingly find the ball easily, while other weeks he can't get near it.

Would love to see his GPS numbers, would be interesting to see if they are consistent week on week.
Id love to see him used on a wing if he gets the tank up for it. When you get it on the outside this is the guy you want to have it. Other than id be looking at half back to utilize his weapons.
That is of course if he's squeezed out of the mid rotation.

Id love to see him used on a wing if he gets the tank up for it. When you get it on the outside this is the guy you want to have it. Other than id be looking at half back to utilize his weapons.
That is of course if he's squeezed out of the mid rotation.

Lots of Oli Florent about him. Both classy mids picked in the teens, but failed to have a serious impact in the middle for a few years. Oli has been sent to half back and is thriving. I’d be giving Tommy one more year to figure it out in the middle and get consistent, then he’d be off to half back if he can’t, in my opinion.

Sydney have been great at turning their skilled mids with physical limitations into classy half backs over the years (Mills, Florent, Roberts of the top of my head), I don’t see why we can’t, even for added versatility.

I think he has the game smarts and spacial awareness to make it back there too.

Didn't he average like 40 disposals the year he got drafted? What's not clicking for him at the moment? Is he just not physically capable?

I went back and re-watched this week's game.

For those saying Powell played a tagging role on Saad? Yeah... nah. He didn't from any metric I could see. He was never matching up closely with any Carlton player at Centre-bounces or playing any consistent defensive/stopper role.

1721874104155.png

And if he did, he did it by... leaving Saad wide open so much that Saad literally placed in this week's coaches votes.

1721873557320.png

He definitely lined up on Saad a couple of times on the broadcast. Whether that amounts to a tagging role or was just by chance I'm not sure.

I thought Tommy Torpedo looked very promising off HB today - 6 tackles, 25 PAs, and 500m gained. His best game since the Suns and a definite watch over the coming weeks.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
His vision is so underrated down there, his run isn’t the best but kicking out of d50 through the corridor he definitely is one of the first you’d want pulling it off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistency is the key.
Even in games like today, he finds the footy enough he can still have an impact but when he’s having below 20 disposal games - he needs to make every post a winner and that’s not sustainable.
Draw opens up now he should dine out on both Richmond and West Coast.

This guy needs to play in the forward half of the ground. His delivery i50 is so underrated it's not even funny, and its exactly what we need. We don't need him getting 30+ possies in the backline.
He's not horrible to have behind the ball, can pull off the sharp kick inboard to open things up.

Our Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back