Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Coaches votes;

QF votes;
10 - Steven May (MELB)
8 - Luke Parker (SYD)
3 - James Rowbottom (SYD)
3 - Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 - Clayton Oliver (MELB)
3 - Callum Mills (SYD)

PF votes;
8 Jack Crisp (COLL)
8 Callum Mills (SYD)
5 Luke Parker (SYD)
3 Tom Papley (SYD)
3 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
2 Darcy Moore (COLL)
1 Lance Franklin (SYD)

Luke and his co-captain getting the job done so far. :thumbsupv1:

I think it is a great thing that parker is not seen as outstanding. Not saying he isnt. But it just highlights that so many of the under 25s are contributing to the best moments, the game changing moments, in most games throughout the season. If we are a side with a lot of youth, then this is what you want to see. The veterans playing their role and the kids on the rise putting in game changing moments that define themselves and give them confidence to deliver week in week out.
The coaches know

Has pretty much been an unsung hero this year just because of how much those around him have improved and the fact that he performs at a consistently high level week in week out. But I think his performance against De Goey in the prelim was phenomenal. De Goey is a great player who's had an impressive finals series, but Parker absolutely nullified him.

To add to that, he's held the midfield together this year with JPK going down and it's no surprise that the others around him have been able to take their games to new levels with Parker doing plenty of grunt work in the midfield.

The beauty of the culture Longmire has created is that it starts from the top.

Not surprisingly, Sydney identified Jordan De Goey as the Magpies' most dangerous midfielder ahead of its epic encounter at the weekend.

De Goey had torn apart finals against Geelong and Fremantle and was the equal leader of the Gary Ayres Medal.

But rather than turning to a younger player – like James Rowbottom – to quell the dynamic Magpie's influence, Longmire went straight to co-captain Luke Parker.

The 29-year-old, averaging 25 disposals a game this season, led from the front. Yes, he kicked the game's first goal and went on to gather 23 possessions alongside it, but his biggest impact came in keeping De Goey to just 12 touches.

I am so glad this is getting a mention in the media. A few months ago when Warner was going nuts and the media were (rightfully) frothing over him, my eye kept being drawn to Parker. The work he was doing off the ball to open up these little pockets of space for Warner to use. The genius use of his body to defend opponents. It was Mills-like. But we've come to expect it from Mills. Not so much Parker who has always been a raging bull when he sees the ball. It's added a new dimension to his game because he's not needing to go for every ball, he's creating the opportunities for the more dynamic mids and when it's his turn he's getting better looks at clean disposals. And suddenly a 20-25 disposal game from Parker is arguably as effective as a 30+ disposal game.

And that article is spot-on, it's selfless, team-oriented footy right down the line.

Having Parker and Mills in the midfield is such a crazy bonus, they're basically taggers who find plenty of the ball.

Also I was super impressed with Parker's ball use against Collingwood.
I personally thought he was best on ground on Saturday and was surprised so few had him in their votes.

grand final day is his kryptonite

Haha what? Had 9 tackles to HT and did everything he could.

(please ignore my current profile picture, was not my choice)

Had very little help apart from Warner. The whole midfield was crushed when taken as a whole, thought he did okay and he's one of the few who actually stuck their tackles.

very little help? he had one touch in the 3rd quarter

padded his stats late

laid a few tackles as second to the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very little help? he had one touch in the 3rd quarter

padded his stats late

laid a few tackles as second to the ball

So that means he had 22 for the rest of the game. Mills had no impact, Gulden no impact, Hickey terrible in the ruck, even Rowbottom wasnt particularly good compared to his last month apart from getting some clearances.

Just dont think it adds much to single out Parker is all

So that means he had 22 for the rest of the game. Mills had no impact, Gulden no impact, Hickey terrible in the ruck, even Rowbottom wasnt particularly good compared to his last month apart from getting some clearances.

Just dont think it adds much to single out Parker is all

why? he is the captain and number one mid

he hasn't played a good grand final yet

2nd best midefielder by a big distance.

warner was outstanding the rest were junk

game was still potentially there after half time and it's time to stand up , he gave us this (at 0 % efficiency) 4D037815-EC00-48CF-ABA4-4CB3064675AC.png

warner was outstanding the rest were junk

game was still potentially there after half time and it's time to stand up , he gave us this (at 0 % efficiency)View attachment 1518635

Parker was bad but not sure you can say Warner was great when you already criticised Parker for stat padding and half of Warner's stats and both of his goals were in the 4th.

Parker was bad but not sure you can say Warner was great when you already criticised Parker for stat padding and half of Warner's stats and both of his goals were in the 4th.

fair point
he is a lot younger /expect less

but he set up mills goal on his own etc which is more than parker did

Lost a bet I'm guessing?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

It's a Song Contest thing on the GD board. Chosen by a Pies supporter. I responded that I hope Ginnivan enjoyed his jaunt at Longest Kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back