Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this is the bit that annoys me. He'd be the first to dig the knife in if we hadn't re-signed a Cpt & this years B&F winner.

Make up your frackin' mind Dammo!!!
Exactly!!

My sliding Doors Damo impression... and by sliding doors, I actually mean sliding doors, as in, we just stepped into an alternate universe... where the swans did NOT sign Parker

IF ...
the 'bloods' culture were still alive in 2021

THEN ...
the Swans would have done whatever it took to re-sign their captain Luke Parker

is Ariel Steinberg playing still?

I really liked the sass from Parker. He has had a few moments like that that I think has made some fans cringe, because they think it's out of character and a bit big-headed of him. But I am sort of of the opposite opinion. I think it's a personality trait that he clearly carries if it rears its head every now and then. So I think he should embrace it, because I've noticed whenever he has those moments of borderline big-headedness, it's when he's actually playing bloody good footy and playing with a bit of flair and not just trying to be the modest, rugged "Blood".*

*There is nothing wrong with a modest player, in fact I usually like those types more, but I think in Parker's case it doesn't always mean he's playing his best.

Essendon apparently considered him and Parker at their pick before ours
Fair dinkum thought you were referring to a Disney character.

Thank god BF wasn't around for our Longmire/Carey deals.

The thing about Luke Parker and the incident with Shiel is that Parker goes hard at the contest and doesn't take a backward step in regards to the physicality of the game. I've been close to the action at games and have often heard him calling opponents weak pricks or words to that effect, especially if they've embellished contact to draw a free. And he'll make sure he makes the next contest a physical one to let them know. So if Luke Parker catches his opponent shirking a contest or playing weak he'll call them on it, and it's part of the psychological battle of dominating his opponent. And most importantly, he backs up his words with the way he plays the game.

I wasn't really a fan of them replaying it and focusing on it so much in the telecast, but I definitely think we need more players like Parker in the team to let the opposition know they're not going to walk all over us and will need to go hard if they want to win. We've got a pretty young side, so Parker is leading the way while the other guys develop and can exert their dominance as well.

The thing about Luke Parker and the incident with Shiel is that Parker goes hard at the contest and doesn't take a backward step in regards to the physicality of the game. I've been close to the action at games and have often heard him calling opponents weak pricks or words to that effect, especially if they've embellished contact to draw a free. And he'll make sure he makes the next contest a physical one to let them know. So if Luke Parker catches his opponent shirking a contest or playing weak he'll call them on it, and it's part of the psychological battle of dominating his opponent. And most importantly, he backs up his words with the way he plays the game.

I wasn't really a fan of them replaying it and focusing on it so much in the telecast, but I definitely think we need more players like Parker in the team to let the opposition know they're not going to walk all over us and will need to go hard if they want to win. We've got a pretty young side, so Parker is leading the way while the other guys develop and can exert their dominance as well.
Phil Davis said it wasn't out of character for Parker and he regularly has something to say. There's sledging happening all the time, not sure why Parker is getting singled out of this one

I agree... we as supporters want Sydney to play an aggressive, hard, physical brand of defence and to achieve that, the players need the mind set. And sledging is part of that mindset. No different to say leaning left or right while manning the mark as the opposition is taking a shot at goal. As long as it's about the game and the way you play it, I have no problems... (Start talking about family, partners, skin colour, religion, etc. then I'm all for banning you for 4 weeks!)

Parker was twice voted most courageous AFL player, has 3 Skiltons, and this is his fourth season as co-captain. He has the respect of his peers, both within his team and within the wider AFL community... He is a tough, gritty player and is well known for it.

Perhaps it wasn't the best look, BUT... can you call it sledging if it's true?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My exact thoughts on it also. Parker is as hard as a cats head and if there is one player on our team that can talk the talk and walk the walk, it's Luke Parker.

I've never heard Parker use any type of sledge other than questioning the toughness of his opponent. From my perspective, Parker plays hard, commits 100% to the physicality of the game, and if his opponent doesn't bring the same aggression then he calls them on it. To me, that's not sledging, that's holding your opponent to a certain standard of toughness, and if they're not capable of handling that pressure Parker will let them know.

That's why Shiel didn't respond to his taunts, he can't match Parker's physicality, Parker knows it, Shiel knows it, and his teammates know it. Poor look from the Bombers not stepping in and flying the flag for Shiel, and their fans are pretty filthy about it (and rightfully so) noone wants to see their team back down when challenged.

I still believe Shiel said something earlier in the game and Parker was mocking him for it

Or any of the number of years he was at GWS. They were a mouthy bunch of pricks.

In the vision Errol can be seen having a quiet guffaw. It made me think about the physical attention Gulden has and will receive over his career and how mentally well equipped he is to handle it.

I think Essendon players started that "soft" talk.
In the last 10 seconds of the first quarter Parker had a contest with Zach Reid and went down. At quarter time there was a few words said. I believe they stirred him up about that.

lol... if true the Dons picked the wrong bloke.

In the vision Errol can be seen having a quiet guffaw. It made me think about the physical attention Gulden has and will receive over his career and how mentally well equipped he is to handle it.
Liked that straight after Parker's little cameo, he was in deep discussion with Gulden. Must be fantastic for a Gulden to have a strong leader like Parker standing right next to him discussing tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back