Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked slower in the VFL IMO, The one he kicked the winner in, Campbell looked better, then was picked ahead of him. I thought he was slow/struggling late last year, people say he was playing sore, ok. He also did come 4th in the best and fairest. Whilst 30 is just a number, the move to solo skipper, not rushing him back in, indicates to me the club thinks he may not be what be was. On the flip side Rampe is older and no longer skipper, and yes its just a problem.

End of the day Its a nice problem to have and others have said if he is cherry ripe come finals, tempting. Just nice we aren't desperate to rush him straight back (yet, touch wood).

Maybe its a tall, wicks, a mid who comes out, maybe Parker starts sub? I don't know. Glad I am honestly not paid to decide.

Putting everything else aside, I want to see him get to 300 games, it would be sad if it wasn't here.

Can tellyou a funny story about just after I left school.
A few mates and girls we left Newcastleand decided to go to Kiama.
We borrowed my Dads trailer and in a few cars about 8 of us decided to go to Kiama for a long weekend.
We go to Kiamaand went straight to the pub. Had a feed and lots of beverages.
We made it to the caravan park to set upout tent_or so we thought). Have you got a G? Ineed A. we eventually put up the tent very early in the morning and went to sleep.
Next morning we were woken up and peoplewere saying we had to move our tent.
WTF?
Turns out we set the tent pretty much next to the pitch. We came out of the tent and there were 22 guys in white wanting to play cricket with a decent local crowd.
We pulled the tent down and set it back up in the caravan park.
Across the road, now the Aussie Rules oval for Kiama Power! Went right when you should have gone left. Lucky you didn't end up in the ocean!

Across the road, now the Aussie Rules oval for Kiama Power! Went right when you should have gone left. Lucky you didn't end up in the ocean!
Late 70’s on the rocks near the blowholes shucking oysters - no fishing rods - seeing thousands of big 1 metre long kingfish in a school close to the rocks so packed in close together you’d be able to walk on them ……. amazing, like seeing something when you are not taking mushrooms but like you were taking mushrooms …...

Good call. The big question is where to play him to see that. Maybe as sub and give him a longer run, perhaps a half, maybe replacing Adams or Rowbottom.

Yea, it's a tough one. Maybe for a Mclean or a Cunningham? Depends on others playing a different role. I want to see him in addition to our current mids.

Yea, it's a tough one. Maybe for a Mclean or a Cunningham? Depends on others playing a different role. I want to see him in addition to our current mids.
Obviously the big thing is what would the coaches want to see. He would need to spend time where they would see that. Of course it could all become moot if someone got injured. 😭

Subbing out Rowbottom might be the go. Rowbottom can be blistering for two and a bit quarters and is then gassed. Maybe why he won’t get a Brownlow vote.

Why not license JR to go full bore from the opening bounce and when he inevitably tires sub him off with another hard man.

Subbing out Rowbottom might be the go. Rowbottom can be blistering for two and a bit quarters and is then gassed. Maybe why he won’t get a Brownlow vote.

Why not license JR to go full bore from the opening bounce and when he inevitably tires sub him off with another hard man.

oh come on, i don't think that's true at all ... i can't recall watching any game this season and thinking rowbottom, of all players, looked "gassed", or that he'd dropped off in intensity in any way

Not bad for a 'gassed' player.
67b02a3a5ec7b1a68d8eb1c41435c4dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
His most extraordinary tackling games have been in the first half and he has understandably faded. Either he paces himself as he may have done since the bye or he lets rip.

His most extraordinary tackling games have been in the first half and he has understandably faded. Either he paces himself as he may have done since the bye or he lets rip.
I think (not 100% certain) what happens is that Grundy and Heeney etc get on top in the second half (caesar88 ?) so Rowbottom has no-one to tackle. That's what my eye tells me. His early tackling is part of why we get on top later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think (not 100% certain) what happens is that Grundy and Heeney etc get on top in the second half (caesar88 ?) so Rowbottom has no-one to tackle. That's what my eye tells me. His early tackling is part of why we get on top later.

Hmmn… possible… haha. You may have given me an excuse to re watch some replays.

Yeah I pretty much see it the same KC.

I think Rowbottom is a slow starter to the year and tends to build as the season goes on. In the earlier rounds he was doing a lot of the work to get us ascendancy in games, then once it was on our terms and the game opened up after half time, the others would start to really take over and Rowbottom would virtually disappear.

As the season's gone on though, he's still been key in getting us on top in games (which is even more crucial given our slow starts) but he's sticking it out after half time now. He tore Carlton, Geelong and most recently Adelaide new you-know-whats in the second halves.

Yeah I've noticed Rowbottom seems to be winning more clearances in the 3rd and 4th quarters (the 3rd in particular) of late when we're generally on top of the opposition while most of the defensive work seems to be done early when the games in the balance.

No idea whether it's due to the nature of the game changing from half to half or if it's instructional.

Regarding Parker... I think too many are writing him off far too soon. I completely get that you don't want to mess with the current balance in our midfield, but I'd love to see him get a chance to see if he can compliment it somehow before we get to the finals. And I believe he will be available for selection before Mills will be at this rate.

He'll definitely get games this year. One of the luxuries we have this season that we haven't had in recent years is we'll get to point where we have top 4/top 2 sewn up.

This means there is no need for us to play players to carry an injury or play sore. Inevitably in a long season, Heeney/Gulden/Warner/Rowbottom/Adams could get a knock in which case we can bring Parker in and make sure they are at 100% in time for finals instead of playing hurt and accumulating damage.

Managing the health of the team is going to be one of the most important factors in whether we win the premiership or fall over at the pointy end.

As long as we keep scoring 100+ plus a game I don't see Parker in the forward line outside of injury. All the forwards are playing a role and taking out a tall for Parker doesn't make any sense to me.
If we do get to 16-17 wins and have the luxury of resting players in the midfield then he should come in.
Parker is a great luxury to have in the wings (as is Mills) but he isn't owed a game automatically anymore. Mills might be more likely to come straight back in but even then I would want to see him come back through the VFL first.

As long as we keep scoring 100+ plus a game I don't see Parker in the forward line outside of injury. All the forwards are playing a role and taking out a tall for Parker doesn't make any sense to me.
If we do get to 16-17 wins and have the luxury of resting players in the midfield then he should come in.
Parker is a great luxury to have in the wings (as is Mills) but he isn't owed a game automatically anymore. Mills might be more likely to come straight back in but even then I would want to see him come back through the VFL first.
It reminds me of Cunningham in 2022. It's very hard to drop someone when everything is going to play and players are playing their role

This aged well 🤭

If nothing else and we are still two games clear play Parker 3-4 times over rounds 18-22 giving our mids a week off to recover from any lingering injuries. Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, even Gulden. ESPECIALLY Heeney who seems like is run into the ground every year by Horse before finals.

Can play Parker forward in spells during those games and see if he fits. I can't see us replacing the speed & work of Wicks for Parker unless he is injured...so even up there places are very limited. Cannot see him replacing a big either unless they are injured. And if we did lose a big and replaced them with Parker it almost makes it necessary to have a KP like Hamling as the sub.

I guess we want everyone playing the last two games if there is a week off after the finals rounds again this year.

Resting will be interesting, do you rest v Pies and Dons for instance or do you try to crush both pre finals

Crows at home you’d rest a few last round but would probably be the only one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back