Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they would more likely to rest a few weeks before the pre-finals bye. Then try to be mostly full strength for the last few rounds.

Quite possibly you may rest in game and what I mean by that is Heeney could play forward etc

Wouldn't we ideally want a full strength side against those teams? I'd have thought we'd rest players in the more winnable games.

I have no idea 😂

But what about looking at it this way.

Rest a few then win and it's like shit we beat you with a lesser team and if we lose it's like well you only beat our depleted side

Quite possibly you may rest in game and what I mean by that is Heeney could play forward etc
Yeah I think they will be conscious about trying to keep our key mids fresh. There is no point running them into the ground. I assume Heeney/Warner would be rested forward for longer periods as the season goes on.

I don't Parker is 'owed' a spot. However he is a very good player and I feel he will be particularly valuable come finals. The scenario where it's hard to find him a spot is where we have a perfectly healthy and uniformly in-form list (which we haven't done at any time this season or quite possibly ever). Right now I would have him in front of Campbell. It's only if Mills comes back and everyone else stays healthy that the issue arises. Then it possibly comes down to Parker v Fox (most likely as the sub) and that's a tough one. I'd be leaning towards Fox because of his greater versatility (plus he's been good in finals - was our best player in the 2022 GF IMO) and because the roles that Parker can play are already being filled handily.

If any of our midfielders (apart from Brodie) were injured then Parker is the obvious replacement. Likewise if Hayward or Jordon were injured (or sufficiently down on form) then he could replace them. While I wouldn't play Parker in the backline an injury to small back could create an opening for Parker e.g. Florent is injured, Lloyd drops back, McInerney spends (even) more time on the wing and Parker takes up some of the roles that McInerney has been playing.

And if we really are exceedingly fortunate with injuries and no openings arise, Parker can still come in while we manage some other players and if he proves himself undroppable the match committee come up with a solution and otherwise his omission it's the unfortunate consequence of a season that has been really cruel to Parker and the sad reality of working in a high performance industry.

I don't Parker is 'owed' a spot. However he is a very good player and I feel he will be particularly valuable come finals. The scenario where it's hard to find him a spot is where we have a perfectly healthy and uniformly in-form list (which we haven't done at any time this season or quite possibly ever). Right now I would have him in front of Campbell. It's only if Mills comes back and everyone else stays healthy that the issue arises. Then it possibly comes down to Parker v Fox (most likely as the sub) and that's a tough one. I'd be leaning towards Fox because of his greater versatility (plus he's been good in finals - was our best player in the 2022 GF IMO) and because the roles that Parker can play are already being filled handily.

If any of our midfielders (apart from Brodie) were injured then Parker is the obvious replacement. Likewise if Hayward or Jordon were injured (or sufficiently down on form) then he could replace them. While I wouldn't play Parker in the backline an injury to small back could create an opening for Parker e.g. Florent is injured, Lloyd drops back, McInerney spends (even) more time on the wing and Parker takes up some of the roles that McInerney has been playing.

And if we really are exceedingly fortunate with injuries and no openings arise, Parker can still come in while we manage some other players and if he proves himself undroppable the match committee come up with a solution and otherwise his omission it's the unfortunate consequence of a season that has been really cruel to Parker and the sad reality of working in a high performance industry.
It is a very nice problem to have!!:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Parker is the sole of what the club is about basically embodying the bloods culture and i think him coming back in not only will he be imo better than who he replaces but i also think it will be a lifter to all those around the club and the players themselves. First play of the game Parker tackling the opposition to the ground just feels like the Bloods back again rather than the last couple of weeks of being too cute with the passes etc

Available for the VFL this week.

I know many think he's done but where we are at I'd have no issues throwing him straight into AFL level.
Probably fresher than Mills. At least he's actually played footy this year. Straight in for Heeney

Probably fresher than Mills. At least he's actually played footy this year. Straight in for Heeney
Heeney wont be out. We'll get his charge downgraded.

Bring him in for Campbell or Roberts or Adams would be my choice. Personal preference in for Campbell and keep Roberts in defence and running down the wing.

Parker to play fwd/mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back