Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
ashep's original comment, which your comment was referring to, was also talking about Wicks.

Maybe Wicks' omission was always conditional on Heeney's availability, and the purpose of it was not to troll Parker, but to put a rocket up Wicks' arse that he's on thin ice.
That can’t be right. Wicks already knows he’s on thin ice. He’s literally the 22nd player each week.hes the Paul bevan of this team

But that’s not really the point. I remember watching rok at the beginning of his last year and thinking he could be in trouble here. I didn’t even get to see it with Parker. He looked like he was in, broke his arm and is now 30th on the list.

That can’t be right. Wicks already knows he’s on thin ice. He’s literally the 22nd player each week.hes the Paul bevan of this team

But that’s not really the point. I remember watching rok at the beginning of his last year and thinking he could be in trouble here. I didn’t even get to see it with Parker. He looked like he was in, broke his arm and is now 30th on the list.

Yep, very weird.

It's clear we don't rate Parker currently and we would either need a cluster of injuries or he would have to absolutely tear it up in the VFL to get an AFL start. If I was another club that was interested in him, I'd offer up a 2 year contract, with a performance related trigger for a third. I think we would let him go and possibly even pay some of his 2025 contract.

The Hawks would be a good option for Parker. They are on the up and have some good young players but could do with a contested type who can play forward as well. Also potentially shedding a bit of experience with the possible retirements of Breust and Gunston.

It's clear we don't rate Parker currently and we would either need a cluster of injuries or he would have to absolutely tear it up in the VFL to get an AFL start. If I was another club that was interested in him, I'd offer up a 2 year contract, with a performance related trigger for a third. I think we would let him go and possibly even pay some of his 2025 contract.

The Hawks would be a good option for Parker. They are on the up and have some good young players but could do with a contested type who can play forward as well. Also potentially shedding a bit of experience with the possible retirements of Breust and Gunston.
Umm 2 to 3 years?

He's near retirement. Draft year 2010. There ain't many players from that year still going around.

Lets name em.
Adelaide | Brisbane | Carlton | Collingwood | Essendon | Fremantle | Geelong | Gold Coast | GWS Giants | Hawthorn | Melbourne | North Melbourne | Port Adelaide | Richmond | St Kilda | Sydney | West Coast | Western Bulldogs

Of that list.
Maybe Hawthorn Maybe.
North.
Maybe St Kilda.

Thats it.

Lets name em.
Adelaide | Brisbane | Carlton | Collingwood | Essendon | Fremantle | Geelong | Gold Coast | GWS Giants | Hawthorn | Melbourne | North Melbourne | Port Adelaide | Richmond | St Kilda | Sydney | West Coast | Western Bulldogs

Of that list.
Maybe Hawthorn Maybe.
North.
Maybe St Kilda.

Thats it.
I can't think of a club that wouldn't want him to be honest. He'd be best 22 for any club, still has a few years in him and is a proven leader. I reckon I could make a case for him at all of the other 17 clubs (Melbourne and Giants probably the least).

I'm gobsmacked he hasn't been picked.

Lets name em.

Of that list.
Maybe Hawthorn Maybe.
North.
Maybe St Kilda.

Thats it.
Plus Richmond, Wst Coast, Gold Coast

Lets name em.

Of that list.
Maybe Hawthorn Maybe.
North.
Maybe St Kilda.

Thats it.
hawthorn wouldnt do it. they're stacked for midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets name em.

Of that list.
Maybe Hawthorn Maybe.
North.
Maybe St Kilda.

Thats it.
lmfao ok cool you're definitely participating in this discussion in good faith. Luke Parker would only get a game in the 3 worst midfields in the comp.

lmfao ok cool you're definitely participating in this discussion in good faith. Luke Parker would only get a game in the 3 worst midfields in the comp.
No the idea was that ...
"Plenty of clubs would line up to give Parker 2 years."

Thats the phrase. Verbatim.

I looked across every side's list. Who was in contract, draft picks and relative age of list.

hence.

No. very few clubs will give a player who turns 33 next year 2 years.
Especially a mid. Who tend to slow down as age impacts.

Umm 2 to 3 years?

He's near retirement. Draft year 2010. There ain't many players from that year still going around.
There are about 10 players from Parker’s draft year of which only 2 have contracts for next year. Parker and Tom Lynch.

However, Elliot Yeo a year younger just signed a 3 year extension. That is at bottom 4 club. It’s not unreasonable to get a multi year deal in your 30’s but it’s based on circumstances. Eagles aren’t contenders in the short term.

Outside of rebuilding clubs in need of experience and who are more likely to offer the longer deals. He’s better placed waiting for his opportunity at the Swans.

There are about 10 players from Parker’s draft year of which only 2 have contracts for next year. Parker and Tom Lynch.

However, Elliot Yeo a year younger just signed a 3 year extension. That is at bottom 4 club. It’s not unreasonable to get a multi year deal in your 30’s but it’s based on circumstances. Eagles aren’t contenders in the short term.

Outside of rebuilding clubs in need of experience and who are more likely to offer the longer deals. He’s better placed waiting for his opportunity at the Swans.
Yeah Yeo was a bit of a thing the eagles have to do...I guess.
I don't think that club has mentally bottomed out yet in relation to their list.

Every club has one eye on short term success. While the other stares at Tasmania.

I rekn we're overrating our memory of Parker a bit here. He's been a solid player but he has never been elite. He didn't truly break into our midfield until post 2017 when we started going down hill. It's not like he was an outstanding young midfield talent like the ones we have now.

He was late to break in and now he'll probably be early to be out. Just the way it goes unfortunately. He was built to be the 2020 version of the swans and I think that's what he still is.

I rekn we're overrating our memory of Parker a bit here. He's been a solid player but he has never been elite. He didn't truly break into our midfield until post 2017 when we started going down hill. It's not like he was an outstanding young midfield talent like the ones we have now.
He won our B&F in 2014 & 2017 (& 2021).
AA 2016 ( nominee 2014 & 2021).
2nd Brownlow Medal 2016.

So he'd achieved a fair bit prior to 2018 ('post 2017').

(And no great drop off considering he finished 4th in the B&F last season).

Last edited:

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back