Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying for years for them to encourage them to create a 'mini Red Zone' at the other end of the ground, or to consider opening up Premiership Club availability for Red Zone 5 for Members that live a long way from the SCG - but I'm not really disappointed that they haven't acted on it either.
Mini Red Zone at the other end is a fabulous idea, makes so much sense.

Do you mean that Red Zone 5 members can't add on Premiership Club to their memberships? If so that's crazy! Surely they could add it on with a distance restriction - maybe something like 100ks minimum.

Do you mean that Red Zone 5 members can't add on Premiership Club to their memberships? If so that's crazy! Surely they could add it on with a distance restriction - maybe something like 100ks minimum.

The design of the SCG is so stupid having the race right behind the other goal. Sucks all energy out of that end.

I'm not really sure the way they read out player names pre-game has any bearing on anything.
It doesn't, but the way they have been doing the last couple of games is a bit ho hum.
I do see Chris's point, the way they are normally read out kinda helps build the pre-game excitement.

Last edited:

It is a suggestion that is fairly selfish in rationale from my perspective - with 3+ hours to get home, those 5-10 mins saved not having to get around the ground when getting back to the car can mean a big difference in total travel time. But equally, when the red zone was down there during the redevelopment, I quite liked sitting in the Trumper stand as well - especially on a nice day. I've always thought they could simply have 1 or 2 bays at that end that are 'red zone' as well (after all, it isn't like red zone involves a bunch of extra facilities) that could be unreserved members seats, separate to the GA section. Probably not achievable now given how awesome our crowd numbers have been, but I've always thought it would be a nice thing.

Re: Red Zone 5. Unless its changed in the last few years (I shifted to 11 game red zone membership a long while ago and my Mrs has now too), then you have never been able to add Premiership Club to it as far as I'm aware. Going back 10+ years ago, I actually had a Red Zone 5 (I think it was a country 5 at that point perhaps?) + a Melbourne Membership with Premiership Club, because at that point it was the most cost effective way to get access to Premiership Club, as I always try to do at least a couple of Melbourne trips too.

I just know, as someone that has never lived in Sydney (Canberra and prior to that Central West), it is a big effort to get to a lots of home games, and for many not practical to try and do every home game. We invariably end up doing 6 or 7 a year now, but some years it can be as low as 4 or 5. I get you don't want every membership type having access, but I think a 5 game pass + living a certain distance away (as the Country 5 membership back in the day had a requirement to do so) should be considered a suitable level of demonstrated loyalty to be able to add that on!

Sorry I feel like I've contributed to going off on a tangent in this thread. How bloody good was Lukey boy on his return!!!

I don't mind the red kite intros they've been doing but it did shit me royally that for Cleary's home debut, not only didn't they have a portrait ready - somewhat understandable - but the live ground announcer didn't read out his name either! He was just missed altogether.
Gee's I never noticed that, that's unbelievable!

I don't mind the red kite intros they've been doing but it did shit me royally that for Cleary's home debut, not only didn't they have a portrait ready - somewhat understandable - but the live ground announcer didn't read out his name either! He was just missed altogether.
Maybe it was the same person in charge of Angus Sheldrick's debut interview back in 2022.

We have tried to nullify Lachie Neale in recent years to no avail. Horse even acknowledged as such in his weekly presser. My gut feel says that changes this week. Parker is gonna go to Neale and have him needing a care bear by the end of the game.

Thinks Parks will start strong on Neale before probably fading. He might prove the difference in our slow first quarters by nullifying at the source.

I like fast players.

Why does everyone think he will go to Neale? Has it been alluded to anywhere other than Bigfooty? It’s never happened before so not sure why it would happen now..

Why does everyone think he will go to Neale? Has it been alluded to anywhere other than Bigfooty? It’s never happened before so not sure why it would happen now..
Well it's just a guess.

Rowbottom is out, so won't be him (Neale's gotten 16 coaches votes in his last two outings against him anyway...)

Mills is out, so won't be him. (Doubtful he'd be full-time in the mids anyway on just his second game back.)

Jordon can maybe go with him around the ground but you still can't let him do as he pleases at stoppages.

So unless we plan on playing Jordon on the inside more, it really only leaves Parker. He is hard and can tackle, and has been trusted with defensive jobs in the past (he did a number on Petracca & De Goey in our first two finals in 2022. Third time was not a charm against Dangerfield.) Parker also won plenty of his own ball in those games as well so it's not like doing those jobs takes him out of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's just a guess.

Rowbottom is out, so won't be him (Neale's gotten 16 coaches votes in his last two outings against him anyway...)

Mills is out, so won't be him. (Doubtful he'd be full-time in the mids anyway on just his second game back.)

Jordon can maybe go with him around the ground but you still can't let him do as he pleases at stoppages.

So unless we plan on playing Jordon on the inside more, it really only leaves Parker. He is hard and can tackle, and has been trusted with defensive jobs in the past (he did a number on Petracca & De Goey in our first two finals in 2022. Third time was not a charm against Dangerfield.) Parker also won plenty of his own ball in those games as well so it's not like doing those jobs takes him out of the game.
I think they may do JJ to Neale and then put Fox onto Andrews and then put the two nutcrackers on one another in Papley and Zorko just to cause chaos as you can't leave Papley alone with the form he is in. But if JJ does go to Zorko then someone has to go to Neale because he is taking the piss on any side that doesn't tag him

Lack of match fitness I guess, but he looked slow even early today, the goal was awesome though.

It is a big ask to come back and just play full time mid to cover gaps, but yeah 1 touch when it mattered was familiar.

Game on the line in the last quarter and he had 1 disposal. He was ok throughout but he was non-existent in the last. Not alone but he seemed way off the pace.
Weird one to pick out when he kicked a terrific goal to give us the lead and was instrumental in keeping Neale quiet.

Showed his versatility today. Day out for him.

Weird one to pick out when he kicked a terrific goal to give us the lead and was instrumental in keeping Neale quiet.

Showed his versatility today. Day out for him.

The goal was great, but a day out? turn it up. He was pretty ordinary , as was said in the last he was non existent.

Adam's shut Neale down more so than Parker, Neale started getting away from him a bit.

He wasn't poor, but a day out is a massive stretch.

Parker will be fine , just need to work out a role.

The goal was great, but a day out? turn it up. He was pretty ordinary , as was said in the last he was non existent.

Adam's shut Neale down more so than Parker, Neale started getting away from him a bit.

He wasn't poor, but a day out is a massive stretch.

Parker will be fine , just need to work out a role.
If you're fixating on my use of day out I think somethings gone over your head bud.

I thought he was fine and effective but some will jump in here as predicted.

Strange usage only 6 CBAs whereas he had 10 last week in an only a half. Thought he would play in Rowbottom’s spot
Rowbottom's CBAs seemed to go to a combination of Gulden (17) & Adams (12), who both had their highest CBAs for the year. Horse & co presumably chose those two over Parker as the former is our next-best-mid, and the latter had the job on Neale.

But Campbell won more clearances for the day than either Gulden or Adams.

Fox won more contested possessions for the day than either Gulden or Adams.

They both combined for only two centre clearances from a combined 29 CBAs.

I thought both were great today but we didn't get enough from them in terms of pure ball supply from the midfield. Could Parker have offered more? Who knows.

Hope to see him in the middle this week. Has shown he can play a productive role forward but still has a lot to offer in the guts.

Remember when the game had passed him by? 🤣

Last weeks last quarter ? :p

That’s the best 1 disposal quarter you will see. 😂

Yeah ****en inspiration get him more mid time so the dogs can run off him.

In all seriousness he was never cooked , but a half as sub when 40 up v the spooners and a sleepy performance when it mattered v the Lions is ok.

If everyone is fit he is a good sub /backup starter to the mids. But neale made him look slow , the goal was great, but he had zero impact when it mattered

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back