Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
If Jude Bolton can kick 29 goals playing a season in the forward line in the twilight of his career then surely Parker can have the opportunity there.

Adams 63% DE compared to Parker 74%. Parker 19 touches in 58% TOG v Adams 24 in 70%. Parker 3 clearances to Adams 1.

But yeah it's dumb to say Adams was worse than Parker.

Big time Charlie's going after him whenever we lose when Chad, Heeney, Gulden, Mills, Adams, florent etc were all far worse.
Well there is tit for tat going on, both sides of the Parker argument seem keen to prove the other side wrong but it's almost a pointless argument at this stage based on the evidence so far. He's neither been poor enough to warrant much criticism nor good enough to disprove the idea that he's not in our best 22.

Well there is tit for tat going on, both sides of the Parker argument seem keen to prove the other side wrong but it's almost a pointless argument at this stage based on the evidence so far. He's neither been poor enough to warrant much criticism nor good enough to disprove the idea that he's not in our best 22.
He's easily in our best 22 on exposed form, don't be silly. Not being in our top 5 is not the same thing. What did Wicks do today? Or Adams? Both players he's arguably competing with and outperformed today. How is Adams seen as being best 22? He was signed as depth and if Parker never broke his arm that's what he would be and no one would blink.

He's easily in our best 22 on exposed form, don't be silly. Not being in our top 5 is not the same thing. What did Wicks do today? Or Adams? Both players he's arguably competing with and outperformed today. How is Adams seen as being best 22? He was signed as depth and if Parker never broke his arm that's what he would be and no one would blink.
I'm talking about once Rowbottom, Papley, McInerney & Rampe return, as that will be when we find out if Parker is in the 22, in the sub vest, or in the VFL again.

I'm talking about once Rowbottom, Papley, McInerney & Rampe return, as that will be when we find out if Parker is in the 22, in the sub vest, or in the VFL again.
Adams played while all of those played. Parker is better than Adams.

I'm convinced there's a group think that horse and the coaching group are never wrong in their assessment of players despite evidence to the contrary and people bend over backwards to justify their views.

Adams played while all of those played. Parker is better than Adams.

I'm convinced there's a group think that horse and the coaching group are never wrong in their assessment of players despite evidence to the contrary and people bend over backwards to justify their views.
You may think Parker is better than Adams but he still has to earn selection, and so does Adams.

Right now I would select Fox over either of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Horse would, too.

So Parker's spot isn't assured, and he'll probably have to show more. So I don't think either side of the Parker argument have had their points proven yet.

You may think Parker is better than Adams but he still has to earn selection, and so does Adams.

Right now I would select Fox over either of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Horse would, too.

So Parker's spot isn't assured, and he'll probably have to show more. So I don't think either side of the Parker argument have had their points proven yet.
Fox plays an entirely different role and will likely need to replace melican.

Fox plays an entirely different role and will likely need to replace melican.
Not that different. Played forward a fair bit today. That's the spot that's up for grabs in a possible finals team. Selection this year has shown that Horse wants that pressure forward in the team at all costs, whether it's Wicks or Fox, or even both.

Not that different. Played forward a fair bit today. That's the spot that's up for grabs in a possible finals team. Selection this year has shown that Horse wants that pressure forward in the team at all costs, whether it's Wicks or Fox, or even both.
And my point is that fox won't be playing that role for the next few weeks at least.

Strange Mills doesn't get the same scrutiny though, he was far worse than Parker today.

And my point is that fox won't be playing that role for the next few weeks at least.

Strange Mills doesn't get the same scrutiny though, he was far worse than Parker today.
Not strange at all. The captain is going to be picked in the team if fit and that's the story in all 18 teams in the comp, so it's not worth scrutinising.

Not strange at all. The captain is going to be picked in the team if fit and that's the story in all 18 teams in the comp, so it's not worth scrutinising.
He was made captain this year, I don't think that should give him a walk up start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the whole Adams v Parker premise is a false binary.

There are plenty performing worse than both.
Agreed. Only brought up Adams as a clear like for like comparison but the notion there's 22+ better performers than Parker is just silly.

What we think is right or wrong doesn't matter unfortunately. A captain of a team is never going to not be selected if available.
It absolutely happens.

Agreed. Only brought up Adams as a clear like for like comparison but the notion there's 22+ better performers than Parker is just silly.
I think it’s probably arguable whether Parker is still in our best midfield but he is definitely in our top 6 best forward options particularly right now with Hayward hurt and Papley out.

He can still rotate through the midfield and allow Heeney to rest forward, we need to manage Heeney better, the opposition make it a point to batter him from pillar to post most weeks.

Considering we got flogged today neither Adams or Parker can hold their head up.
Parker could play permanently forward and take Wicks /Papleys job with the odd run in the midfield. While we have players out I am not against trying it although I am not convinced it will work.
He's going to get games while we have the injuries anyway it's just finding his best position and holding on to it.

For those advocating him as semi permanent forward, the moment when allir ran from 15m behind him to get to the ball shows why this can never work. Speaking of which it’s really interesting that horse moved him on …

This coupled with heeney then kicking it out on the full after Parker somehow managed to keep the bal in the area.

He’s not a full time forward. At best he’s a 20% and withmcdonald ladhams wicks and McLean around him you might as well give the other team the ball (which we did as well)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back