Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all the rationale about Parker's contract and how it might be good for all parties if he was to take a longer term deal with North.

But...

I just don't get why questions about Parker's ability keep coming up. I must have been watching different games this month if anyone thinks Parker isn't a really valuable player still.

Unless there was some long term plan to have him flying in the last 6 weeks of the season, which I doubt there was, I think he has made the coaches look kind of stupid for having him play more than a week or two in the reserves.

Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff physically in the off season, he should be a walk up start in every team in the comp. Including ours.
I half agree.

I was going to post that I don’t think Parker’s ability has slid much, if anything from last year. So agree with you on that.

What I think has shifted is the Swans game plan and the growth of other personnel to fulfil it.

We want fast players with elite hands and foot skills. It is for this reason that my bet is that Parker will be made sub against GWS (though like everyone else I have very limited idea).

I half agree.

I was going to post that I don’t think Parker’s ability has slid much, if anything from last year. So agree with you on that.

What I think has shifted is the Swans game plan and the growth of other personnel to fulfil it.

We want fast players with elite hands and foot skills. It is for this reason that my bet is that Parker will be made sub against GWS (though like everyone else I have very limited idea).
Yeah I just don't understand what people are seeing with this.

You might be right though as there is no other logical explanation as to why his position in the team would still be under question by some.

He is still a really good player. Full stop.

Lose Parker and keep Adams.... fu#k that is poor list management. Parker will undoubtedly be in better shape and more adaptable than Adams
I think there needs to be some separation between the list managers and the coaches, in regards to who is "at fault" (I use that in quotation marks, because I really don't think anyone is at fault personally...)

I don't recall anyone having any fears that the Adams signing would cost us Parker when the Adams' deal was first announced.

I don't recall anyone having any fears that the Adams signing would cost us Parker when Adams was playing decent footy for us earlier this year.

This intertwining of the pair's fates on our list did not become a thing at all until Adams was being selected in the team and Parker was not.

That was on the match selection committee, the coaches. It's got nothing to do with Kinnear Beatson and the list managers. Those folks did their job - they got the player they were after to the club (did we think anyone was going to come with a two-year-deal-or-less?) Mind you, they'd also already secured Parker's signature for four years extending to the end of next year, too.

So if Parker's disgruntled and leaves and people think the club is to blame for it, the blame shouldn't go towards the list managers.

But me personally - I don't think the blame should go towards the coaches, either. Fate's been bloody weird to Parker this year, first with the broken arm, then his quote-unquote replacement in Adams playing good footy, then us becoming this unstoppable juggernaut, then Parker getting suspended. It was just a perfect storm of things that kept Parker out of senior footy for the majority of the year.

The irony is that I think Parker spending so much time on the sidelines and not in the senior team has actually worked to his advantage. I don't think it's a coincidence that he is currently looking fit and dangerous and like one of our best players whilst other veterans - Adams, Lloyd, Grundy - who have played all or most of the year, are now looking rather gassed. His spot both in the finals team and in the 22 now looks pretty damn assured.

The blame goes to the list-managers if Parker is pushed out because of his salary, as it speaks to a list management group unable to, er, manage the list.

If he's not pushed out because of his salary and instead is disgruntled at being made the sub repeatedly and playing in the VFL far beyond what was necessary, then the blame is majority on the coaches, and partly on Parker for not putting his head down and bum up. But he's in the side now and playing well enough to be considered Best 22 and has every reason to think he should still be Best 22 next year until the point comes where he is no longer demonstrating form that can be considered Best 22. If and when that happens, everyone can reassess.

The blame goes to the list-managers if Parker is pushed out because of his salary, as it speaks to a list management group unable to, er, manage the list.

If he's not pushed out because of his salary and instead is disgruntled at being made the sub repeatedly and playing in the VFL far beyond what was necessary, then the blame is majority on the coaches, and partly on Parker for not putting his head down and bum up. But he's in the side now and playing well enough to be considered Best 22 and has every reason to think he should still be Best 22 next year until the point comes where he is no longer demonstrating form that can be considered Best 22. If and when that happens, everyone can reassess.
Any evidence that Parker might be leaving due to salary reasons?

Lots of people seem upset by what happened this year to Parker......except Parker himself. I expect him to have a big finals series now he doesn't have as big a burden in the midfield. Carried a heavy load for years.
I don't know if that's necessarily true. When Parker was asked about next year he said "well I'm contracted at the moment so we'll see" and Harley's comment was basically "he's contracted and we expect him to fulfil that contract".

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but when you combine it with the reporting that he's open to a move, it certainly doesn't scream contentment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any evidence that Parker might be leaving due to salary reasons?

That's why I said 'if'. :)

There's been a fair bit of back and forth on this board suggesting that we would need to push him out to keep Chad for instance......

However if people are happy to agree that it's a nonsense to think we would be pushing him out for salary reasons and instead it would be purely about whether he's a fit in our Best 22 and Parker wanting guaranteed game time, then that's an entirely different conversation.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. When Parker was asked about next year he said "well I'm contracted at the moment so we'll see" and Harley's comment was basically "he's contracted and we expect him to fulfil that contract".

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but when you combine it with the reporting that he's open to a move, it certainly doesn't scream contentment.

Plus all his snarky comments about how cold it is on the bench as the sub etc. I don't think he's been particularly happy. Hasn't he just referred to it as his hardest year in footy?

That's why I said 'if'. :)

There's been a fair bit of back and forth on this board suggesting that we would need to push him out to keep Chad for instance......

However if people are happy to agree that it's a nonsense to think we would be pushing him out for salary reasons and instead it would be purely about whether he's a fit in our Best 22 and Parker wanting guaranteed game time, then that's an entirely different conversation.
I feel like the opportunity/salary issues go hand-in-hand though.

Parker's current contract to the end of 2025 is what it is. He's going to be paid it whether it's at the Swans or at another club, or paid by the Swans or another club. Leaving this year isn't going to get him more money next year. One thing he knows is that his next contract is likely to not be as lucrative as this one; it only goes down money-wise for players at his stage of their careers. But how far down that next contract goes is what I think is yet to be determined.

He stays with Sydney and there's a good chance that with our list stacked full of talent and a team that, in theory, should be competitive and ruthless at selection, plus another year older for Parker, he spends a fair chunk of next year in the VFL again.

He goes to a different team struggling for quality where he's more guaranteed for consistent game-time and a chance to show his worth, and he potentially ends up a top 10 player for them.

Which of those scenarios is going to net the better contract offer beyond 2025?

So he could leave for salary reasons without us necessarily pushing him out to do it.

So in his mind he's staying and i took it as that , seriously my fault as i only hird the end of it , might have another listen Rusty . Noticed you've been absent
Thanks for the thoughts mate.
My body is not holding up too well. Going to hospital again tomorrow. Have a major op soon.
I am not travelling too well.

Busy working at my primary school. Was at camp today. Camp goes until Friday arvo.
I am busy painting some parts of the school with the kids.
I have another crew of kids doing repairs. They like it because I let them use the power tools.
I am working on another big project too which will be unveiled to the kids next week.

My laptop failed. I bought a new one but trying to get The List salvaged from the other one. Hopeful.
I am doing a bit of study too.

I suppose I have been a bit quiet.

My body is not holding up too well. Going to hospital again tomorrow. Have a major op soon.

Busy working at my primary school. Was at camp today. Camp goes until Friday arvo.
I have another crew of kids doing repairs. They like it because I let them use the power tools.
I am working on another big project too which will be unveiled to the kids next week.

My laptop failed. I bought a new one but trying to get The List salvaged from the other one. Hopeful.

All the best Rusty. Hope it goes well and that you're up and about tout suite.

Take care Rusty.

Just echoing the thoughts of others rusty, look after yourself and I hope you are back to your best asap.

Great the way you give back to the community. :thumbsu:

However, and I may have read this entirely the wrong way, but I'm not sure this is a great idea;
'Have a major op soon......I am working on another big project too which will be unveiled to the kids next week.' :think:

Lots of people seem upset by what happened this year to Parker......except Parker himself. I expect him to have a big finals series now he doesn't have as big a burden in the midfield. Carried a heavy load for years.

for sure ... and he's certainly looked pretty happy to be out there contributing on the field the past few weeks, looks to be revelling in his return to seniors, and his teammates look just as excited to have him back
i agree, i think he's going to play a key role in our finals run, and i would not have been saying that halfway through the season ... he and mills back have restored some maturity and composure too
that fantastic first part of the season was driven by the youthful midfield around an elite ruckman, but maybe, as the wins kept coming, the weight of expectation started to grind on them and the team hit the wall
parker and mills bring leadership, and i'm sure that's helped some of the younger blokes back into form
i go back to the last quarter of the collingwood game, and the show of not just relief but genuine emotion on the field and in the coaching box ... that's when we started our premiership run

Take care Rusty

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back