Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would you rate as their best 5, out of interest? You and Millky seem to be going down this line of reasoning without seemingly knowing much about their list. They have a very good young group, they're just all quite young.
I know about their list.

I think Xerri, Sheezel, Larkey and Davies-Uniacke are and will be better players than Parker next year.

I think Wardlaw, Powell, Duursma, Zurhaar, McKercher and Simpkin could be line-ball with Parker, factoring in their expected inconsistency, positions etc.

I know about their list.

I think Xerri, Sheezel, Larkey and Davies-Uniacke are and will be better players than Parker next year.

I think Wardlaw, Powell, Duursma, Zurhaar, McKercher and Simpkin could be line-ball with Parker, factoring in their expected inconsistency, positions etc.

I think other than Simpkin and Duursma (and that's line-ball) the rest would be expected to be better than Parker or something has gone seriously wrong. Add onto them the players you already mentioned.

Just think a few are being more than a touch disrespectful to what is a pretty decent young list.

Now if he was going to Richmond, he'd definitely be top 5.

Respectfully, and appreciating this issue is not black and white - a hard disagree from me.

Sydney has been too soft with its players. I was glad to hear that Harley was working through the GF tape with Longmire and then players who didn’t do the simple things they were supposed to do were being put on the spot to account for their actions.

In Parker’s case, he stretched out his last contract negotiation to the absolute limit, with his manager likely being the one putting out leaks about the possibility of Parker signing with other teams. That was Parker’s right and Sydney chose to sign the 4 year contract. Now Parker’s form does not guarantee a starting position and Sydney have likely even encouraged him to look for other options. The club he has found is offering a junk pick for his services.

If Sydney decides this is not in it’s interests, then no way in hell should Sydney give him away. Now if Sydney thinks Parker’s salary could ultimately go to better uses, then of course Sydney should ultimately relent - but Sydney is well within its rights to drag this out. North is the party offering unders.
That's a fair case. But if North aren't willing to bend and give pick 44, as is their (delusional) right, then it's our move. Do we fold or do we stick to our guns and keep our player? Well, call me old-fashioned, but I say we fold. Give the player what he wants. It's not an entitled 23 year old wanting to go home. It's not a 27 year old megastar who wants out for a bigger pay-day. It's a 32 year old who has given his all for the club over 14 years and 290+ games and now just wants to prolong his career as much as possible. Who, by the way, we're not even that desperate to play as he's only a fringe player anyway (bottom six when in our 22 and strong possibility to be outside the 22 next year.)

So I think there is being soft and then there is also just rewarding service. And I have not even been Parker's biggest fan over the journey.

That's a fair case. But if North aren't willing to bend and give pick 44, as is their (delusional) right, then it's our move. Do we fold or do we stick to our guns and keep our player? Well, call me old-fashioned, but I say we fold. Give the player what he wants. It's not an entitled 23 year old wanting to go home. It's not a 27 year old megastar who wants out for a bigger pay-day. It's a 32 year old who has given his all for the club over 14 years and 290+ games and now just wants to prolong his career as much as possible. Who, by the way, we're not even that desperate to play as he's only a fringe player anyway (bottom six when in our 22 and strong possibility to be outside the 22 next year.)

So I think there is being soft and then there is also just rewarding service. And I have not even been Parker's biggest fan over the journey.
Take it up almost to the wire first but if no change, take it. Bloody annoying but it is what it is.

It's like another draft thread lol

I know about their list.

Is Parker better than most of these players
1. In the locker room?
2. On the training track?
3. As a sounding board?
4. Teaching some stuff?
5. In game positional?
6. In game strategic or motivational?
7. When they look for someone for feedback or direction?
8. ...............................

PARKER DEAL HANGS IN THE BALANCE

TALKS over Luke Parker remain at a standstill going into the trade period's final day, with North Melbourne yet to raise its offer for the Sydney veteran.

The Kangas' opening bid of pick No.62 for Parker was knocked back by the Swans in the opening days of the trade period, with the club demanding something far more significant for the contracted midfielder.

The two clubs have been yet to find a middle ground for Parker, with North Melbourne's attentions divided by the club's chase for Port Adelaide star Dan Houston and Western Bulldogs utility Caleb Daniel.

TALKS over Luke Parker remain at a standstill going into the trade period's final day, with North Melbourne yet to raise its offer for the Sydney veteran.

The Kangas' opening bid of pick No.62 for Parker was knocked back by the Swans in the opening days of the trade period, with the club demanding something far more significant for the contracted midfielder.

The two clubs have been yet to find a middle ground for Parker, with North Melbourne's attentions divided by the club's chase for Port Adelaide star Dan Houston and Western Bulldogs utility Caleb Daniel.
More like they have shook hands on 44 but we need trade DRAMA

Can Curtis Taylor still be traded despite being delisted? Why not Taylor for Parker with draft picks involved?

HSun:

ROOS' BOLD PARKER PLOY AS DOG STILL A CHANCE TO MOVE

North Melbourne will rely on Sydney treating 293-game premiership player Luke Parker with some dignity as he departs the club as it tries to strike a fair deal to bring him to Arden Street.
North Melbourne continues to be frustrated by the Swans’ demands for Parker, who has told the Swans he is determined to move to North Melbourne on a multi-year deal.

The Roos had offered pick 62 but the Swans have demanded a second-rounder instead for a player who was forced into the VFL for four games this year as coach John Longmire made him endure tough love after a broken arm.

Parker, 32 later this month, was one of the Swans’ few good players in the Grand Final with the Swans adamant they will secure a quality pick for the stalwart.
But the Roos believe Sydney will eventually allow Parker to be traded to Arden Street for a responsible price given it is the least he should expect after 14 faultless seasons at the Swans.
North Melbourne has picks two, 25, 44 and 62 and is still keen to secure Western Bulldogs deputy vice captain Caleb Daniel on the last day of the trade period.

The Roos believe he has not been given a promise that he will be a regular in the senior team next year after seven roles as the sub and eight VFL games but the Dogs are not promising to release him.
North Melbourne’s list boss Brady Rawlings is prepared to use the club’s No.25 draft pick in some form to pick up the contracted Daniel.
The Roos would expect a later pick back from the Dogs but at this stage that deal will also go down to the wire.

HSun:

ROOS' BOLD PARKER PLOY AS DOG STILL A CHANCE TO MOVE

North Melbourne will rely on Sydney treating 293-game premiership player Luke Parker with some dignity as he departs the club as it tries to strike a fair deal to bring him to Arden Street.
North Melbourne continues to be frustrated by the Swans’ demands for Parker, who has told the Swans he is determined to move to North Melbourne on a multi-year deal.

The Roos had offered pick 62 but the Swans have demanded a second-rounder instead for a player who was forced into the VFL for four games this year as coach John Longmire made him endure tough love after a broken arm.

Parker, 32 later this month, was one of the Swans’ few good players in the Grand Final with the Swans adamant they will secure a quality pick for the stalwart.
But the Roos believe Sydney will eventually allow Parker to be traded to Arden Street for a responsible price given it is the least he should expect after 14 faultless seasons at the Swans.
North Melbourne has picks two, 25, 44 and 62 and is still keen to secure Western Bulldogs deputy vice captain Caleb Daniel on the last day of the trade period.

The Roos believe he has not been given a promise that he will be a regular in the senior team next year after seven roles as the sub and eight VFL games but the Dogs are not promising to release him.
North Melbourne’s list boss Brady Rawlings is prepared to use the club’s No.25 draft pick in some form to pick up the contracted Daniel.
The Roos would expect a later pick back from the Dogs but at this stage that deal will also go down to the wire.
In other words the roos have promised Parker the world but aren't prepared to make good on their promise. Just think about that for a minute Luke and the club you want to go to. It's a two way street and at the end of the day I'm sure every swans fan will be happy to see you play your 300th in red and white next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other words the roos have promised Parker the world but aren't prepared to make good on their promise. Just think about that for a minute Luke and the club you want to go to. It's a two way street and at the end of the day I'm sure every swans fan will be happy to see you play your 300th in red and white next season.

I think the Roos know we want the Parker money off the books.

I think the Roos know we want the Parker money off the books.
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would we need Parkers money off the books if we are not trading anyone in?
I know that some on here have said that it's to pay Warner, but wouldn't any extra needed to pay Warner come into season 2026 budget when Parkers pay will be off the books anyway?
What am I missing?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would we need Parkers money off the books if we are not trading anyone in?
I know that some on here have said that it's to pay Warner, but wouldn't any extra needed to pay Warner come into season 2026 budget when Parkers pay will be off the books anyway?
What am I missing?
I think it might be that whatever space we free up in 2025, we can front end contracts which will free up the money in 2026.

What am I missing?
Haha mate I went down this road earlier in the year and was apparently dumb for pointing it out. 😂

I think it might be that whatever space we free up in 2025, we can front end contracts which will free up the money in 2026.
Any front ended contracts would have to be signed now.

What am I missing?
Because we’ve made contractual commitments to other current players next year and beyond that can’t be met within the salary cap if Parker’s salary stays on our books.

Would be a great get it will be like welcoming back a new recruit.

Is North actually ******ed? we wont even USE 62

Because we’ve made contractual commitments to other current players next year and beyond that can’t be met if Parker’s salary stays on our books.
Surely not, they would have HAD to have taken Parkers wage next year into account.

I did not get that read from that.

I could be wrong but the takeaway I got was that North want him but not enough to part with anything more than pick 62 and that their interest in Daniel may be a contributing factor for wanting to hold on to as many picks as possible.

I also just think they are within their right to look at this as a deal they should not have to bend over for - Parker played 7 full games this season and was average in four of them. More power to them if they want to be ruthless and exploit that. We would want our club to do the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back