Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Only played a half on daicos, Oliver is having his worst season since debut, treloar had 22 and 2 and isn't their best mid, none of that is outstanding and he offers nothing the other way.

In all of those cases, he kept them materially below their average output for the season. That was his job. He can only play on who the coaches instruct him to.

I think every single poster on this site knows you don't rate Phillips, and will refuse to give him credit for anything.

In all of those cases, he kept them materially below their average output for the season. That was his job. He can only play on who the coaches instruct him to.

I think every single poster on this site knows you don't rate Phillips, and will refuse to give him credit for anything.
I've given credit where it's been due. He did a good job on Oliver. You can't convince me that half a job on daicos is okay as a tagger, it's a new role and he's done better than I thought he would but I doubt it's his future at the club with the midfield we're building. He'll need to find another position to play, I think he'd be best served playing majority half forward and running through the middle in the VFL. If he can't rest somewhere I don't see how he plays in the one's.

I've given credit where it's been due. He did a good job on Oliver. You can't convince me that half a job on daicos is okay as a tagger, it's a new role and he's done better than I thought he would but I doubt it's his future at the club with the midfield we're building. He'll need to find another position to play, I think he'd be best served playing majority half forward and running through the middle in the VFL. If he can't rest somewhere I don't see how he plays in the one's.

The problem he has at the moment is that he gets **** all ball himself when tagging. Does that survive anymore? Good teams will employ stoppers, but they still get the pill.

Imo, he needs at least 2 more preseasons to see what he truly offers inside. He's got good skills, a bit of toe with a good cruising speed, but needs the fitness base to get from contest to contest.

He's a slow burn from the 2 bouts of cfs he suffered.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imo, he needs at least 2 more preseasons to see what he truly offers inside. He's got good skills, a bit of toe with a good cruising speed, but needs the fitness base to get from contest to contest.

He's a slow burn from the 2 bouts of cfs he suffered.

Agree, apart from the toe. Unfortunately in two years he will be six years in.

Agree, apart from the toe. Unfortunately in two years he will be six years in.
In 2 years, he'll be 24.

If there aren't at least a dozen games in there with 25+ disposals or nullifying the oppos best mid, then he will be done at NM.

A 2 year deal is suitable imo. It gives enough time for all parties to assess.

In 2 years, he'll be 24.

If there aren't at least a dozen games in there with 25+ disposals or nullifying the oppos best mid, then he will be done at NM.

The hard part is where he sits in the current midfield pecking order, I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to seek an opportunity at a different club if he see's great opportunity elsewhere.

In 2 years, he'll be 24.

Why 2? Surely a rookie deal is best case for Will, there's no one offering more than one.

The hard part is where he sits in the current midfield pecking order, I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting to seek an opportunity at a different club if he see's great opportunity elsewhere.
100%. It's up to him to force himself into the rotation.

If he gets a better offer elsewhere, then it's up to him what he wants to do. I don't think anyone would begrudge him if he got a better opportunity.

In 2 years, he'll be 24.

We've had four years to assess, manufactured a role for him two thirds into the season and he's been dropped again. Absolute negligence if we offer him two. Delist and rookie him and Laz and let em loose in the two's.

Why 2? Surely a rookie deal is best case for Will, there's no one offering more than one.
A show of faith tbh. 1 year deals are for your Drury types, Will is better than that.
Our cap is nowhere near bleeding.

We've had four years to assess, manufactured a role for him two thirds into the season and he's been dropped again. Absolute negligence if we offer him two. Delist and rookie him and Laz and let em loose in the two's.
He missed an entire flipping season, lol

No, negligence is your CCJ, Stephens, LMac type deals. 2 years is a piss in the ocean to invest in a top pick that's missed a lot of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He missed an entire flipping season, lol

No, negligence is your CCJ, Stephens, LMac type deals. 2 years is a piss in the ocean to invest in a top pick that's missed a lot of footy.

You just referenced the exact reasons why you don't offer unnecessary deals, the market dictates his value and I'm pretty sure there's no current market for Will.

I'm not sure he is, think people are a bit caught up on his draft number. He was below average last year and has regressed this year.
I thought he was pretty good last season, considering he was coming from a mile back fitness wise after missing 2022.

He had 29 against the pies, 27, and goal against *, 20 and 11 tackles against Aints, and 26 in the last round. If anything, this season, he has been below average.

I thought he was pretty good last season, considering he was coming from a mile back fitness wise after missing 2022.

He had 29 against the pies, 27, and goal against *, 20 and 11 tackles against Aints, and 26 in the last round. If anything, this season, he has been below average.

He played two or three good games and was terrible for the rest and he hasn't even matched that output in the VFL this season. Think he's only managed five or six games this year and that's off a full preseason and no injuries throughout the year.

Don't think you can delist and rookie Will, he'd be picked up by Tigers or WCE before us with picks in the rookie draft.
2 year extension means he's under contract at end of 2025 and he's either cemented himself in the team after another big preseason or he moves on to another team and we at least have the power in trade negotiations.

Don't think you can delist and rookie Will, he'd be picked up by Tigers or WCE before us with picks in the rookie draft.
2 year extension means he's under contract at end of 2025 and he's either cemented himself in the team after another big preseason or he moves on to another team and we at least have the power in trade negotiations.
I think you're right, but don't want you to.

Powell had his coming out this year, was very ordinary last year.

I’d argue Wil Phil had a better year, or at least 3 standout games that showed his capability last year.

Given his background with glandular fever and having 30 less games under his belt, I really believe that next year he will rise in a way similar to Powell this year.

Different players agreed, but his strength in contested ball, defensive work and his ability to breakaway from stoppage will come to the fore.

He will be a very very good player somewhere next year, will be interesting to see if we can find a place for him but the Shiels role is the one that may be it.

Otherwise he will play good footy elsewhere, I’m really confident of that.

I'm not sure he is, think people are a bit caught up on his draft number. He was below average last year and has regressed this year.
We would be crazy not to offer Will two years. He is only going to get better, the illness he had definitely set his fitness back. I would be shocked if in two years he is not ahead of Simpkin as a mid.
Go Roos

We will get near zero value for him in a trade, 2 year extension makes sense (or even 1+1). Last few weeks/end 2023 show that at worst he is passable depth.

As many have said here, perception of Will is clouded due to his draft position. Has the tools with ball in hand but clearly needs to work on his endurance and ball winning confidence

We will get near zero value for him in a trade, 2 year extension makes sense (or even 1+1). Last few weeks/end 2023 show that at worst he is passable depth.

As many have said here, perception of Will is clouded due to his draft position. Has the tools with ball in hand but clearly needs to work on his endurance and ball winning confidence
I think there will be a fair bit of interest for him at other clubs

Last year was his third year and the second year he played. His stats are very similar to Cunners third year. He had a streak in the middle of last year where he averaged over 20, had over 10 contested every game and averaged over five clearances and three or four tackles a game. That was around 20-30 games into his career.

He's gone backwards a bit this year but so did Powell after an equivalent period of games. He looks like he lacks energy this year. Has moments where he shows what he had in his first year and highlights but struggles. i think he;'s still getting healthy after his illness issues. A few of us have seen mates with glandular fever really struggle for years afterward and I think is the case with him.

He's definitely not shithouse but he is struggling this season and the midfield is stacked. I'd give him two years anyway because even if he ends up behind everyone else he'll still be good enough to get a half decent trade.

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back