Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you by chance see a photo of his eye?
Didn’t seem to do him any harm still came out and got best on in the vfl

We need to be pumping senior game time into our young elite talent. Phillips should be in

Hopefully at least Goater plays this week

Willphil in next week

This just cant be true, or have any impact on selection.

He has the same amount of risk of copping a stray elbow in the twos as he is in the seniors.
Do we even know if he's going to be/has been named in the VFL team? Nothing on the reserves social media pages. Nothing from GR in the VFL thread. If he plays VFL, I agree that it's weird, but it's undeniably less intense in the seconds. But if it comes out that he's not playing footy at any level this weekend, the angst in here is going to look ridiculous

You've got blinkers on if you think it isnt a possibility.

Been dropped multiple times from the team that could finish dead last, as a number 3 draft pick.

You’re over reacting. I get you’re upset. I did too about team selection when I was a young fella.

Been dropped multiple times from the team that could finish dead last, as a number 3 draft pick.
Calm down - he ain’t going nowhere
He’s hardly played in the last 3-4 yrs and needs to build his game back up - he’s still working on his touch and building aerobic fitness

Not particularly worried about him, like almost all of the kids, while we are strong in the VFL I do not mind them developing in the VFL as part of it. Confidence and that hunger for the taste of success is something I think they are seeking to institute into the group.

As a matter of fact I did.

Did you happen to see he played VFL last week, amassed 30 touches and was one of our best on ground? I’d say his eye’s not troubling him.
Might've gotten worse, might've not, might be something else, might be specific things he's lookin to work on. Who the f*ck knows? Feel like we're still miles and miles away from panic stations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole notion that players can’t develop in the VFL is just fricken stupid.
Especially considering our place on the ladder, and then further a distinct lack of this development perspective in the recent past.

Fitness is fine. Eye is fine. Simply overlooked. Nothing more to it.

As frustrating as it is to be dropped after the crows game, go back to the VFL and dominate and still not a get a look in? I don’t know. This is where football clubs mixed messaging becomes toxic.

I’ve always had issues with North and the way we develop players. Every game that LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Phillips, Thomas don’t play together is a waste. We’ve lost 14 in a row. We’re second last. Why do we keep pulling the trigger on ourselves.
There is nothing to learn from playing VFL this week. If anything with the game being at Marvel against one of the weakest opponents we’ll face this year, nows the time you give the kids a chance.
Ziebell, Howe, Taylor, McDonald, Young - these guys are done. Not gonna be there next finals match we play.

Hahaha, can't get a game in the worst team in the comp over the last 5 years.. he's 3 years in FFS, if we keep making excuses we're doomed.

He's played one good league game and one good two's game, three years in. I'm hoping like **** he can be the player we need but I'm sure he needs to find that in the two's.

Massive overreactions in here. No chance Will is going to request a trade after being dropped a few times, what absolute nonsense.
So long as its communicated cleary that he's either being managed from the rigours of AFL footy and/or what he needs to do to get selection then its not an issue. The kid wants to be elite, he'd want to work on his weaknesses early in his career before they become ingrained in him long term.
We didn't do that with Cunners/Ziebell/Atley etc. under Scott and their habits never changed. They had no fear of being dropped.
All other teams develop players this same way and Clarko has said we're managing Will differently given he's played not much footy the last few years.
I reckon it will be the same with Wardlaw early in this career until his body can cope with backing up at AFL level week after week.
He'll learn a whole lot playing with Goldy and Cunners at VFL level and will enjoy his footy being part of some wins.
Put together another good performance and he'll get a look in for the Saints game if he's done what the coaches have asked.
Also, if Will came back in that would likely mean Laz goes out, so I'm ok with Laz getting another game after a good performance last week, we must see what development we can get out of him too.

This was his previous VFL game against a rubbish Dolphins midfield, he has a heap to work on and he 💯 should be doing that at VFL level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230714-003654_Footy Live.jpg
    Screenshot_20230714-003654_Footy Live.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 101
He's played one good league game and one good two's game, three years in. I'm hoping like * he can be the player we need but I'm sure he needs to find that in the two's.
Are you serious? He’s been insanely good in the VFL. He had 25 touches and 7 tackles the week before his 19 & 9 against the Dolphins. If you watch what he does he sets up our midfield to win clearances through his workrate and body positioning. So to call his Frankston game no good is erroneous. I was there and he set the midfield up unbelievably well and his defensive work is first rate. The rest of our mids, Wardlaw excepted, let the oppo waltz through at the moment. It’s no coincidence our best performances in the 1s this year v Essendon & Sydney came when he was in the midfield. And the twos had dominant victories when he was there. Had a couple of 30 possie games in his first year before he played AFL as well. I genuinely do not think you looked into this at all. He was also outstanding against Essendon, Sydney, had standout 1st quarters agst Port and Brisbane. This is where as supporters surely there’s an explanation given. We want hope and he’s one of this hopes. It’s a standout snub on the eyes of most so at least let us play along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back