Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
😂 GAJ, Bartell and co all did their tim in the VFL. Nothing wrong with that.
Yep. Also Cousins, Swan, Neale and Tom Mitchell are other examples of Brownlow winners that spent some time in the seconds.

Phillips 1st year, coming off Covid where he played very little football. Phillips 2nd year, sick all year. Phillips 3rd year, learning his craft in both 1st and 2nds. Phillips 4th year. Gun.

He’ll be fine.

Ratts on RSN re Will:

"Will Phillips comes in and really have, in a 3 week period, play some great footy, and probably for the next 3 weeks, he didn't play as well as we've liked, and was just down on his form, and going back to VFL footy is ok."

Used Jimmy Bartel as an example in his early years.

Ratts on RSN re Will:

"Will Phillips comes in and really have, in a 3 week period, play some great footy, and probably for the next 3 weeks, he didn't play as well as we've liked, and was just down on his form, and going back to VFL footy is ok."

Used Jimmy Bartel as an example in his early years.

Which is fine, so long as blokes who remain in his position in the best 23 are doing so on merit.

Which is fine, so long as blokes who remain in his position in the best 23 are doing so on merit.
Who would you drop out of LDU, Wardlaw, Greenwood and Shiels as our main 4 mids? And then those rotating through, Sheez, TT and Zurhaar. Would you drop one of those?

Yep. Also Cousins, Swan, Neale and Tom Mitchell are other examples of Brownlow winners that spent some time in the seconds.

Phillips 1st year, coming off Covid where he played very little football. Phillips 2nd year, sick all year. Phillips 3rd year, learning his craft in both 1st and 2nds. Phillips 4th year. Gun.

He’ll be fine.
He’ll be more than fine. People have no idea of this kids ceiling.

Didn't ask you. But since you butted in, Shiels is there to help Wardlaw and Sheeze. He's the onfield coach, it's the whole reason he's in the squad. Mean while WiPhi is learning from Cunnington. Is a no brainer for anyone with any experience in player development.
Shiels has been immense. It’s arguable he’s been better than all our onfield leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wardlaw is replacing Jy.
Well then Phillips should replace laz

Didn't ask you. But since you butted in, Shiels is there to help Wardlaw and Sheeze. He's the onfield coach, it's the whole reason he's in the squad. Mean while WiPhi is learning from Cunnington. Is a no brainer for anyone with any experience in player development.

I’d only play one of greenwood or shiels for that reason

Phillips can learn off LDU and 1 of them in the seniors

Shiels has been immense. It’s arguable he’s been better than all our onfield leaders.
I'd argue that no inclusion we have had into our footy club since Shaun Higgins, has had more of an impact on the playing group then Shiels.

He has spent a lot of time with Bailey this year. He has a very good relationship with George, Harry, Tom & Will. He missed out on leadership group by 1 vote.

On top of that, for periods this year has played some of the best footy he's played in years, everyone wants to talk about how good Harry, George and Will were against the scum, but people neglect to mention that Shiels did a job on Merrett after QT which helped us nearly win (until our other "leaders" did what they could to prevent that).

If our other leaders were made of the same stuff Shiels is, we would be in a much better place.

Well then Phillips should replace laz

I’d only play one of greenwood or shiels for that reason

Phillips can learn off LDU and 1 of them in the seniors
LDU needs to worry about his own game. Greenwoods our utility and can cover if one of our talls go down. Plus we need big bodies to protect the kids we have there already. At all times we want one of Shiels or Greenwood in the mids.

Do you not think playing along side Cunnington and Goldy would be good for WhiPhis development?

It's always about the shiny new toy with you.

LDU needs to worry about his own game. Greenwoods our utility and can cover if one of our talls go down. Plus we need big bodies to protect the kids we have there already. At all times we want one of Shiels or Greenwood in the mids.

Do you not think playing along side Cunnington and Goldy would be good for WhiPhis development?

It's always about the shiny new toy with you.
It’s about pumping senior games and experience into our elite youth and getting them to play together

Especially when they respond with a best on ground in the vfl

Which speaks exactly to my point of him assessing his options at seasons end.

George already being preferred to him in his main role. Thats not necessarily a bad thing for us, but it is for Will.
He's not that type of personality to want out, he feels like he owes the club. So I can't see him assessing his options at seasons end and I can't see us getting an offer from another club of a top 5 pick that would be worth a trade given he's under contract until end of 2024.

Which speaks exactly to my point of him assessing his options at seasons end.

George already being preferred to him in his main role. Thats not necessarily a bad thing for us, but it is for Will.

Okay, I'm getting a bit sick of this shit. Stop trying to make fetch happen, it's not going to happen. Will is not assessing his options. He is very, very happy with where he's at and very comfortable with what the coaches are asking of him. This is not speculation. This is the result of spending hours talking to the bloke.

I'd argue that no inclusion we have had into our footy club since Shaun Higgins, has had more of an impact on the playing group then Shiels.

He has spent a lot of time with Bailey this year. He has a very good relationship with George, Harry, Tom & Will. He missed out on leadership group by 1 vote.

On top of that, for periods this year has played some of the best footy he's played in years, everyone wants to talk about how good Harry, George and Will were against the scum, but people neglect to mention that Shiels did a job on Merrett after QT which helped us nearly win (until our other "leaders" did what they could to prevent that).

If our other leaders were made of the same stuff Shiels is, we would be in a much better place.
Yep! Well said! Higgins drove standards, pushed for success. Out of all the players we lost. That player (with boomer in second, close second) is what really pushed us back.

At the time, I said losing Shaun was probably the biggest hit our club took since Brent was given the lemon sars over Hrovat. Shocking decisions and we ultimately lost an abundance of leadership.

And thats where we are at. Sure Jack has been a warrior, a great on field leader and would have his heart on his sleeve, but he wasn’t enough, one bloke for a team of 35+ players. Not even super hero Jacky could lift the boys to show some ****ing ticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back