Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit annoying he got subbed. His disposal and work on Daicos was first class. I’m not sure if he could’ve stopped him in the last quarter run on but if he had him on the edge the whole game, why sub him off?

Played a good game, no doubt still learning his role but today he killed it.

We need players like Will. I don’t care what pick number he was, that’s just a number. Larkey was how low in the draft and look at him. James Hird 🤷‍♂️ etc.

Players are picked wherever they’re picked due to what they show as kids, then develop at different rates, get different strengths and what they bring to the team evolves. “Being pick 3” shouldn’t define someone for the next 20 years and there is absolutely nothing wrong with WillPhil becoming a shutdown player who learns to get his own ball.

Cameron Ling, for example, is an absolute legend and Geelong wouldn’t have been as awesome without him.

The whole midfield group got smashed for the last third of the game, there's no way he would've been able to stop Daicos once they got a run on.

He's not a tagger. Daicos had 4 shots at goal and 29. A tagger shuts a player out for the game, follow him forward or back. Will's not capable of that.

Daicos got 10 of those in the last and 8 in the 3rd mostly when he was on HFF and Phillips was in centre. When they put the Phillips tag back on during 3rd he was again quiet.

I'm a Will Phill fan, but I don't know who comes off instead of him to get some fresh legs. Everyone else including the likes of Pink were playing important roles. I don't know if it was the right call, but I can see the logic in it because in Shiels there was a replacement for Will and it allowed Stevo to play his more natural position.
We were five goals ahead, we should have left Phillips on Daicos for another 7-10 minutes after 3 quarter time.
Daicos had 4 touches and they kicked 3 goals in the first 10 minutes, and momentum swung.

Needs to ask for a trade this week.

Absolute bullshit treatment. He brings pressure and cleanliness and we have campaigners like bailey scott and Stephenson offering nothing at ground level.

Stephenson had one opportunity and that should have been shelling peas.

Don’t get me started on bailey.

He's gone apparently

And his face when he was subbed off :(

Last edited:
He's not a tagger. Daicos had 4 shots at goal and 29. A tagger shuts a player out for the game, follow him forward or back. Will's not capable of that.
I dare you to post a single positive about his game.

Just one.

To prove that you are capable of it.

Daicos got 10 of those in the last and 8 in the 3rd mostly when he was on HFF and Phillips was in centre. When they put the Phillips tag back on during 3rd he was again quiet.

Yeah he's wrong

Diacos had measly disposals and no real Influence until Will was taken off

Last edited:
If Will couldnt continue and was stuffed then subbing him was fair enough. If he was subbed to get Stevo on then it was the wrong call. l hope the coaches say that they got it wrong in the presser. Naicos will always get possessions but its what he does with them that hurts and l thought Will did a good job nullifying those possessions. Should have stayed on until 1/2 way through the last quarter. Time for Stevo to play in the VFL from now on.

I'm a Will Phill fan, but I don't know who comes off instead of him to get some fresh legs. Everyone else including the likes of Pink were playing important roles. I don't know if it was the right call, but I can see the logic in it because in Shiels there was a replacement for Will and it allowed Stevo to play his more natural position.
agree with this call, without crystal ball you just never know, dont accept it cost the game like chaddy reckons because i counted 30 odd mistakes made in the last quarter and a half that contributed to it almost all resulting in goals. , from elvis and zurhaar both flying, fishhers tun back into traffic, cor and scotts OOFs, sleevo missing then a 12 pt turnround, just for a start,

Shiels or pink had to be subbed off instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was good today. Subbing him might have cost us.
Yeah it was a blue. Would have preferred Shiels go to Sidebottom as a match up, tbh.

Yeah he's wrong

Diacos had measly disposals and no real Influence until Will was taken off
He was pretty much erased from existence for nearly three quarters.

Collingwood are an experienced and well drilled side with some fantastic leaders and great players, but Daicos has made that club his as much as Carey did with the 90s North side.

Stop Daicos, stop Collingwood.

Last edited:
We need players like Will. I don’t care what pick number he was, that’s just a number. Larkey was how low in the draft and look at him. James Hird 🤷‍♂️ etc.
Completely agree. He fights tooth and nail for the ball, consistently makes the right disposal decisions, is very calm under pressure rarely if ever blazing away, excellent skills, can get his own ball, now we know he can tag as well.

He feels so much like an early days Cunnington to me. I feel he will benefit immensely from a more mature body over the next few years, it would be a real shame to lose him.

Daicos was running at 70~ disposal efficiency before Phillips was subbed off.

Wasn't getting a clean run at the footy and was under immediate pressure whenever he did have it.

He wasn't injured. It was tactical. And it was a mistake.

He was cooked mate. Daicos was going to super fry him in the fourth (and was starting to in the last half of the 3rd).

Tactical or not, he was the one who couldn’t meaningfully contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back