Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Charles is the heart and soul of our team. Without him today, we lose by 12 goals, at least. The way he hugged Dawson (I think) after they thwarted the Dogs on one occasion, was really special. He loves the team.

This is exactly what I saw. He was so proud of the efforts of others. Ultimate team player.

Compare the pair. Who is on one million dollars? Thanks brain-dead Brad.
Hmmm...looks like some canny forward planning to me.

Move a bloke on who's not much chop for pick 3 (4)....replace him with an AA calibre defender.....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

And plenty on here reckon Clarko and company had lost it.

I might have missed it but I don’t think too many thought that due to Comben back, many just saw the huge hole forward still. Given we have run our break glass defender (Pink) and our mid season desperate attempt to fill a hole (Teakle) through there it’s hardly a wrong take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might have missed it but I don’t think too many thought that due to Comben back, many just saw the huge hole forward still. Given we have run our break glass defender (Pink) and our mid season desperate attempt to fill a hole (Teakle) through there it’s hardly a wrong take.
So what are your thoughts on Clarko.

I get the Comben forward angle, I really do. He'd probably do well up there developing his forward craft, and we do desperately need a second KPF...

But he's just too good down back. He has saved us from some hidings, especially yesterday, and he could very well be in AA contention as a KPD over the next few years. Someone would have to replace him. I feel we should just stick to not fixing something that isn't broken. We've struck gold here.

I remember when there was talk last year that Clarko was taking him to Pies games to study Moore; we're currently on track for best case outcome of that scenario. I feel like not even the nuffiest among us could have foreseen how that's turned out.

Well done Charlie. Playing like this with so much defensive craft to learn as well.
It might get a little clunky or easier when Logue comes in but they'll figure it out.
That play where he intercepted and drilled a low bullet to the wing was ridiculous. Firstly to take the mark and then secondly to have the confidence to play on and hit that kick.

Bloke is heart and soul type player. I will admit, I was so critical of him in the early days, especially playing forward he seemed so lanky, jittery and his skills were so questionable but jeez he had heart and he’d throw himself at everything. Now him being in defence has to be one of those master strokes that has changed our team for the better. Love him to bits now

Please allow me to blow my own trumpet for a second here. (July 9th 2023)

I remember when there was talk last year that Clarko was taking him to Pies games to study Moore; we're currently on track for best case outcome of that scenario. I feel like not even the nuffiest among us could have foreseen how that's turned out.

OK, great. Now get him watching Wayne Carey and Nick Riewoldt videos over the summer break and then cut him lose at CHF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So good that what Clarko used to do TO us he's now making happen FOR us.

Selling an overpriced spud key position player, raking in draft gold, and getting better all at once.

Magic.

Compare the pair. Who is on one million dollars? Thanks brain-dead Brad.
I was browsing the stats on AFL.com.au earlier, and it's actually quite crazy how they compare. Comben is neck and neck if not beating him in basically every important metric across the course of the year. IIRC the biggest key difference in Mckay's favour was that he had ~3% better 1on1 win rate and slightly better disposal efficiency and turnovers - because he gets it less and handballs most of the time! In practically everything else there was negligible difference or Comben was comfortably ahead, including a whole extra intercept mark per game.

Insanity. There's just so much more upside to be uncovered still too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back