Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Graham's primary role is to gut run all day and apply pressure around the contest. Equal highest in tackles and in our top third for pressure acts today. He can be frustrating with ball in hand but he's a mature body who does a lot of grunt work that a lot of our kids aren't able to do. I'm not his biggest fan but he's a required glue guy at the moment.
Nankervis and Maurice Rioli Jr know how to make a tackle count.

JGs tackling is mainly Powder Puff today, with the opposition still mainly getting it and off loading the ball very efficiently

Jack is more of a harasser /lunger than a tackler these days and his stalking pressure reminds me of a poodle chasing a greyhound. the rule changes, cracking pace and being injury prone in the last 5 years have not been kind to Jack.

I just cannot see where he fits into a quick rebounding, well-oiled, well drilled top 8 side anymore, these days he is handy depth for a bottom 4 side.

He started in 47.6% of the CB and I can’t recall him winning one clearance. His primary role should be winning the ball or laying a hard tag on the opponents best midfielder, but he’s so slow he chases arseholes all day. On that tiny ground it was easy to get seven tackles and 18 in effective disposals bc the ball was ping ponging around so much.
Steele got that in one quarter in the same position, and he won the ball.

Graham was very fumbly and his possessions didn't mount to much when he wasn't. Why can't a player like him, not a top 10 type come back through the VFL to get some touch. Very similar to last season, came in underdone and struggled.
Should have been sub , was plain obvious

Nankervis and Maurice Rioli Jr know how to make a tackle count.

JGs tackling is mainly Powder Puff today, with the opposition still mainly getting it and off loading the ball very efficiently

Jack is more of a harasser /lunger than a tackler these days and his stalking pressure reminds me of a poodle chasing a greyhound. the rule changes, cracking pace and being injury prone in the last 5 years have not been kind to Jack.
A tackle isn't recorded unless it results in a stoppage or an ineffective disposal, so while Maurice's tackles look sexy, if Graham leads the team in tackles then they are all legitimately good tackles.
I just cannot see where he fits into a quick rebounding, well-oiled, well drilled top 8 side anymore, these days he is handy depth for a bottom 4 side.
Right. We are that bottom 4 side. We aren't a top 8 side. So he is getting games as he should.

Not Graham you should be all going after, it’s Pickett and Kamdyn. Absolutely horrible these two

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Graham was not our worst, but a long way from our best. He should have come through the VFL.

McIntosh should not be in the side at all. Even with our injuries. I get that we can't drop all of our poorly performing senior players at once, but for f**ks sake, McIntosh is a deadset liability every week.

Last edited:
A tackle isn't recorded unless it results in a stoppage or an ineffective disposal, so while Maurice's tackles look sexy, if Graham leads the team in tackles then they are all legitimately good tackles.

Right. We are that bottom 4 side. We aren't a top 8 side. So he is getting games as he should.
We would have won if we had Balta and Lynch. Could have beaten Carlton but for losing 3 players 40 minutes into the game. We may be bottom 4 but playing like a side pressing for the 8.

That ground was made for Graham, in tight against a slow midfield. He might have led the tackles but, but it was pretty tight in the clinches. His 18 possessions gained 180m only so not exactly breaking free and creating.

We would have won if we had Balta and Lynch. Could have beaten Carlton but for losing 3 players 40 minutes into the game. We may be bottom 4 but playing like a side pressing for the 8.

That ground was made for Graham, in tight against a slow midfield. He might have led the tackles but, but it was pretty tight in the clinches. His 18 possessions gained 180m only so not exactly breaking free and creating.
That's not his role and never has been even when we were good. He's just doing what was asked of him during our great years. People can't handle it now because we're not winning games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game back under the new coach, we have seen improvement across the field with so many players, no reason Graham cant improve also. Despite all that, still the leading tackler on the ground and had 18 possessions with managed game time.

The knee jerk reactions on this board by the same grand standers is so tiresome.

Last edited:
That's not his role and never has been even when we were good. He's just doing what was asked of him during our great years. People can't handle it now because we're not winning games.
I think Graham is a really good footballer.
But when he’s done what he’s been asked to do he’s come
16th-11th in the BnF usually.
Came 2nd in 21.

Very good player captained his state from u/15 to u/18.
Did his quad in u/18 and missed most of it.
Winning the ball at stoppage wasn’t that important to Hardwick but seems more important to Yze.

If it’s out of Graham, Prestia and Hopper. They’re all a bit injury prone I think and Hopper has a contract for another 5 seasons.
I don’t think Graham will be on the list next year, I’m not sure his body can handle it

Ollie Wines is 6’3 and 100kilo
Since he had to do a major op on his knee he’s not been the same.
Hopper found he had more of a problem than first thought…
We can’t have three injury prone inside Mids.
Hopper did well against Cripps for 3 quarters, better than I’ve ever seen Graham do.

Because we are not good enough to carry the role players anymore, and haven't been for a while. He and MacIntosh are probably the last of the role players from our glory days. Why is it the heat is on these two, because the rest bar maybe Pickett who is hot or cold, do not face the scrutiny these two do. Castagna, Ellis, Caddy, much the same.

I am not against Graham, I am against a player of his calibre stepping straight back into a side after 6 weeks or so sidelined without any footy. He was rusty, not his fault, play him in the VFL and see how he goes. Grimes will be interesting. He is no more a key player, will he go through the VFL or will we drop one of our backs. From the brief glimpse we got of MacAuliffe, he should have started, and I'm pretty sure Brown is safe but I said that about Ross last year before being dropped.

He’s tackles never stick. Stop talking shit. Go and watch his game and see how many times it happens.

First game back under the new coach, we have seen improvement across the field with so many players, no reason Graham cant improve also. Despite all that, still the leading tackler on the ground and had 18 possessions with managed game time.

The knee jerk reactions on this board by the same grand standers is so tiresome.
Same can be said about people like you. Can’t stand any criticism

He’s tackles never stick. Stop talking s**t. Go and watch his game and see how many times it happens.
Do you think Champion Data are just making shit up when they record stats for our games?

You've got tunnel vision. All you see are few errors by foot each game without acknowledging all the important grunt work he does that no one else in our team can do.

Do you think Champion Data are just making s**t up when they record stats for our games?

You've got tunnel vision. All you see are few errors by foot each game without acknowledging all the important grunt work he does that no one else in our team can do.

It's hilarious. Was two passages of play in the last quarter where his team mates failed to stick tackles and he was the one who came in and locked them up. We all have players we don't like but be objective, some posters on here create fake narratives.

Do you think Champion Data are just making s**t up when they record stats for our games?

Champion data lol
Did you see him nearly miss hand when he tried to handball? Or barely make contact when kicking?
This blokes is a joke and should not be best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - MOVED TO WCE - PICK 42 Received

Remove this Banner Ad

Back