Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Geebus. When were your legs and arms cut off?

Sorry to hear man.
My experience on a footy field is limited to running out for the company I worked for at the Chartered Accountants footy day. My pass mark was getting 1 disposal per match.

We talking about high standards here hahaha

Jackson Archer - pick 59

"We've been impressed with all of our first year players, they've been fantastic. 'Arch' is no exception. His competitiveness is as good as anyone on the list, and that's some compliment given he's a first-year player. In the pre-season we had him up forward at training and he looked like a natural forward purely down to the way he was competing.

"Over the last couple of weeks he's really got the hang of it. He's starting to get a bit more of the footy, he's starting to use it really well, and his composure is really good. He's not panicking and he's making the right decision by hand and by foot. He's strong in the tackle, he wins his one on ones and he embraces the defensive structures as well as anyone.

"He's going really well, extremely well even. He's been especially fantastic in these last two or three weeks."

Jackson Archer - pick 59

"We've been impressed with all of our first year players, they've been fantastic. 'Arch' is no exception. His competitiveness is as good as anyone on the list, and that's some compliment given he's a first-year player. In the pre-season we had him up forward at training and he looked like a natural forward purely down to the way he was competing.

"Over the last couple of weeks he's really got the hang of it. He's starting to get a bit more of the footy, he's starting to use it really well, and his composure is really good. He's not panicking and he's making the right decision by hand and by foot. He's strong in the tackle, he wins his one on ones and he embraces the defensive structures as well as anyone.

"He's going really well, extremely well even. He's been especially fantastic in these last two or three weeks."

So prior to the last few weeks (when he was an AFL emergency....) does that imply he was panicking a bit and making wrong decisions by hand and foot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seems like there's a massive discrepancy between the way certain watchers have talked about him on here and the way he's rated internally. not sure who to believe
people should first be looking at how he matches on his man but are too busy looking at his stats. Every game I've seen him play this year he's worn his man like a glove and made them very accountable.

people should first be looking at how he matches on his man but are too busy looking at his stats. Every game I've seen him play this year he's worn his man like a glove and made them very accountable.

Well he's learned from one of the defenders we've ever had so it's no surprise.......

Great to hear though as we need more of it, too many of our defenders (and yes I know we are getting smashed in inside 50s) still play loose/zone off their man imo. (maybe to instruction, not sure)

I feel like this is indicative of the Supercoach era.
Whilst possessions or more accurately, quality of possessions are important, I'm more interested in whether he's able to spoil, win 50:50 contests and prevent his opponent from hitting the scoreboard. If his form warrants it and there is a suitable match-up, bring Jacko in.

I think we've really missed that type who can take small/medium forwards out of the game so we can give a little more freedom to our flankers.

Turner helps in this regard but is a project player being thrown around. Doesn't help us as much when the impact is up and down either.

seems like there's a massive discrepancy between the way certain watchers have talked about him on here and the way he's rated internally. not sure who to believe
there are some atrocious judges of footballers around here to be honest and Archer has already made appearances on the emergency list for the seniors in the same week those people have said how shit he is - which suggests it's not just lip service from Brown

i'd back those at the club on this one

Go with your gut on this one.

I have given my thoughts on him and his latest game was superb. Having watched every north vfl game this year, his capacity to lockdown one-on-one has been consistently good, though he does lack some athleticism. His kicking and decision-making has been mostly average, but he’s a first year player playing in an undermanned defence getting pumped most weeks.

Last match was the first time I’ve seen him be really comfortable at the level. His intensity was up on previous matches and he made good decisions. I suspect him being the emergency earlier in the year has more to do with Turner being average and a lack of options. It’s clear we want a good lockdown small defender.

I just see a split image of a young Jed Bews from the cats. Blankets his man, needs to work on the offence. Jed’s now a very good lock down small

I think we've really missed that type who can take small/medium forwards out of the game so we can give a little more freedom to our flankers.

Turner helps in this regard but is a project player being thrown around. Doesn't help us as much when the impact is up and down either.
The problem with Turner (IMO) is that he doesn't have any damage with ball in hand out of there. Can live with a lockdown small defender that gets it 10 times a game - but they still have to genuinely demand respect those 10 times a game with their disposal. Hopefully Archer can continue to improve and become a genuine option for us.

I would have been filthy if he had wound up on another clubs list. I’m glad he has a shot and reckon he will do everything to make the most of it. I’d give him a run in the firsts, guy’s trying their guts out is exactly what we need right now.
I felt that way when we didn't recruit Keith Grieg's son... I get the whole romance of father sons for champions but I'd rather have had one of the Brayshaws...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jackson Archer - BFNAAK - re-signed until end of 2026 - rd21 AFL RS nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Back