Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029 - finishes 6th in the 24' SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Next morning, watched the Larkey and Zurhaar vid again - one of the best pieces of media the club has made.

Just love it.
Yeah that is quite literally one of the best things I've watched all year. It's raw - two mates sharing some great news, finding out they will be going into battle for the remainder of their careers; knowing that they have gone through the most challenging times, and that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't discount how huge this is - Larkey's all-time record is 22-1-90; a dismal 19.91% win-rate, whilst Zurhaar's is a slightly better but almost as dismal 26-1-90 record. These two have played in one of North's worst ever periods in its history, and have both committed their careers here now. These two aren't losers, they want to win, and they believe they in what North is building, and certainly believe that they will be huge contributors to a better future to come.

Just you wait and see.

Well I for one was reasonably confident he would re-sign. I've mentioned this before in another thread, or maybe even this one, at the season launch in 2020, before Covid hit, I risked my life by saying to him, "please don't go back to WA, we need you here".

The withering reaction to that just about floored me. "Why would I want to do that?" I stammered something unintelligible and quickly left the scene. I took with me the rather scary insight as to what some opposition players might have confronted on the field.

Well I for one was reasonably confident he would re-sign. I've mentioned this before in another thread, or maybe even this one, at the season launch in 2020, before Covid hit, I risked my life by saying to him, "please don't go back to WA, we need you here".

The withering reaction to that just about floored me. "Why would I want to do that?" I stammered something unintelligible and quickly left the scene. I took with me the rather scary insight as to what some opposition players might have confronted on the field.
taking one for the team, well done. Courage.

Took one for the team H.

What is also clear is that he didn’t make up his mind until today. So all those full of it prognosticators can STFU. You knew nothing.
That's not how it works. He may have finalised all the details yesterday but the decision has been made a while ago. My information was coming from a bloke close to some of the players who said he made the decision about 3 weeks ago. I trust that this was the case. But all that matters is that it has been done and dusted.

Tbh getting off the socials is something we should be praising, too much attention on social media activity.
Agree. Particularly with the small form stuff (Xwitter, Instagram etc) where nuance can be hard to achieve. Podcasting and similar stuff probably more the way of the future for these guys with an itch to scratch.

Why is Paul Curtis calling him 'pookie'? That is the important question here.
I wasn't aware what it means but did hear the girl say it in the Hawk Tuah video.
Apparently "pookie” is a term of endearment people use to describe something cute. Call someone like your significant other, friend, or even pet “pookie” to express your love and affection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not needed, just good vibes please

It's not ruining the vibes when you're being objective about his performances. Nobody can tell me he's been near his best where he was a few years ago and a lot of his performances center around contract years being even more inconsistent.

Now that it's done, its fair for the fans and the club to expect more. Because he's an 'almost' player now for long enough. Same with LDU.

I love both of these guys as players, but they're not getting the best out of themselves. Especially when a 19 year old kid is out there proving that point week in and week out that yes, there are levels to this. Being AFL grade doesn't net you premierships, and that's all I give a **** about.

I actually think Zurhaar is one of the few who is helping to fix the problem of our terrible inside 50s.

He's started to play much less selfish over the last 10 weeks and it's creating opportunities for other players. We need to see a whole lot more of that from our forward line in general.
To be fair he did this last season as well.

It's not ruining the vibes when you're being objective about his performances. Nobody can tell me he's been near his best where he was a few years ago and a lot of his performances center around contract years being even more inconsistent.

Now that it's done, its fair for the fans and the club to expect more. Because he's an 'almost' player now for long enough. Same with LDU.

I love both of these guys as players, but they're not getting the best out of themselves. Especially when a 19 year old kid is out there proving that point week in and week out that yes, there are levels to this. Being AFL grade doesn't net you premierships, and that's all I give a **** about.
You’re not being objective at all.

You’ve made a lot of of assumptions and compared him to literally a generational talent.

I have no idea what drives cam zurhaar, I don’t know what the coaches are asking from him.

I do however know he has been one of our best players for the last 5 years while we have been a mess off-field and with 6(?) coaches in that time. He has exceeded our expectations coming in as a rookie pick, cost us nothing in draft capital or picks to bring him in to the club.

He deserves a 5 year deal and he deserves a decent contract. We can afford to front load it and repay his service to the club so far.

Let clarko do his job and work on how to help cam be the best player he can be and let’s celebrate that we don’t need to go try and find a replacement for him on the open market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029 - finishes 6th in the 24' SBM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back