AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

What annoys me about the Tsatas and Hobbs picks is we’ve been dragged up the ladder by multi positional hard running players who can kick the footy (Durham, Martin, Duursma, Caldwell, Merrett, Perkins). Neither Tsatas or Hobbs fit that mould at all.

With the stand rule, tackling restrictions the game is only going to continue to get faster and more end to end over time. Why not draft players who can fill a variety of roles. We seem to have consistently overlooked aerobic ability at the pointy end of the draft despite it being an extremely transferable trait from under age footy

That being said I’m a big proponent of drafting best available especially in the first round so this is probably just an incoherent rant
The Tsatas pick is probably the most disappointing pick I’ve seen us take.

We had offers for pick 5 that would’ve landed us multiple later first rounders. Alternatively, we could’ve taken Humphrey or Ginbey.

I’m not 100% certain Tsatas will be a bust, but it’s looking that way.

What annoys me about the Tsatas and Hobbs picks is we’ve been dragged up the ladder by multi positional hard running players who can kick the footy (Durham, Martin, Duursma, Caldwell, Merrett, Perkins). Neither Tsatas or Hobbs fit that mould at all.

With the stand rule, tackling restrictions the game is only going to continue to get faster and more end to end over time. Why not draft players who can fill a variety of roles. We seem to have consistently overlooked aerobic ability at the pointy end of the draft despite it being an extremely transferable trait from under age footy

That being said I’m a big proponent of drafting best available especially in the first round so this is probably just an incoherent rant
Not sure they could have predicted rule changes when they drafted Hobbs .

It’s amazing that most BigFooty posters could see that phillipou was the better player as indicated by a pre-draft poll in which Phillipou was our clear preference, yet dodo can’t. In the end, dodo selects Tsatas and and we subsequently learn tsatas can’t kick to save himself yet meanwhile phillipou is starting to win games off his own boot, against the premiership favorites no less: 26 touches, 1 goal 1, and 5 tackles.

This is looking like yet another first round stuff up from our recruiting team unfortunately.

It’s amazing that most BigFooty posters could see that phillipou was the better player as indicated by a pre-draft poll in which Phillipou was our clear preference, yet dodo can’t. In the end, dodo selects Tsatas and and we subsequently learn tsatas can’t kick to save himself yet meanwhile phillipou is starting to win games off his own boot, against the premiership favorites no less: 26 touches, 1 goal 1, and 5 tackles.

This is looking like yet another first round stuff up from our recruiting team unfortunately.
Bloody Dodo

It's amazing how most of our board guessed whilst watching 3 minute YouTube videos are now claiming they're right based on one game.

Fun fact, Tsatas has as many 20+ disposals, 1 goal games as Phillipou in the AFL, whilst having played 1/3 of the games Phillipou has. With half his games as sub.

Last edited:
It's amazing how most of our board guessed whilst watching 3 minute YouTube videos are now claiming they're right based on one game.

Fun fact, Tsatas has as many 20+ disposals, 1 goal games as Phillipou in the AFL, whilst having played 1/3 of the games Phillipou has. With half his games as sub.
Gees you’re grasping there mate. Philippou’s kicked 18 goals in 34 games ..not a bad effort.

Gees you’re grasping there mate. Philippou’s kicked 18 goals in 34 games ..not a bad effort.
Am I? They're both 19. Saying the one we picked is a bust is basically confirmation bias from people who wanted Phillipou pre draft.

I wouldn't have minded Phillipou if we ended up trading down but Tsatas was the obvious call and the right one.

Am I? They're both 19. Saying the one we picked is a bust is basically confirmation bias from people who wanted Phillipou pre draft.

I wouldn't have minded Phillipou if we ended up trading down but Tsatas was the obvious call and the right one.
I’m not calling him a bust or saying Philippou was the obvious better pick but at this early stage Philippou has had far more impact whether forward or midfield.

I’m not calling him a bust or saying Philippou was the obvious better pick but at this early stage Philippou has had far more impact whether forward or midfield.
philipou also isn’t played out of position, made the sub, and has played 23 more games than tsatas.

philipou also isn’t played out of position, made the sub, and has played 23 more games than tsatas.
Was advanced enough last season to player 20+ games …Sonia he ahead in development as Tsatas?

Was advanced enough last season to player 20+ games …Sonia he ahead in development as Tsatas?
It's almost as if Tsatas was injured from January through to June last year whilst Phillipou hasn't been injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

… or saints has space in their forward line to give him an opportunity to play? im not going to look up the specifics but i’d wager the majority of fames that lij has played has been starting as the substitute. how much player development do you get if you play for 10 minutes??

Tsatas also blew his knee out and missed half of last season. And missed a ton of footy as a junior.

We need to be patient with him, I still reckon he turns into a weapon. He’s looking like a great athlete.

Hobbs I’m more concerned about tbh.
hobbs has been surpassed i daresay. when he’s played he’s been caught trying to do too much, take on tacklers and being caught, or trying to be too smart and turning over the ball

hobbs has been surpassed i daresay. when he’s played he’s been caught trying to do too much, take on tacklers and being caught, or trying to be too smart and turning over the ball
Yep. Hobbs has got to get back to the basics. He seems to want to do to much.

He's had multiple goals once and has had 20+ disposals once.

He's not impacting as a forward or a mid consistently. If he was playing for us people would be lining up demanding he be dropped.

He's had multiple goals once and has had 20+ disposals once.

He's not impacting as a forward or a mid consistently. If he was playing for us people would be lining up demanding he be dropped.

He played every game last season for a team that made the finals. You said he played as a forward. In four games had 14-18 disposals and kicked a goal . Kicked 3 in another. For a first year player in a finals team that’s pretty good.

Again I’m not saying we should’ve picked him or he’ll turn out better than Tsatas ..but to say he’s not done anymore than Tsatas at this stage is a little silly

He played every game last season for a team that made the finals. You said he played as a forward. In four games had 14-18 disposals and kicked a goal . Kicked 3 in another. For a first year player in a finals team that’s pretty good.

Again I’m not saying we should’ve picked him or he’ll turn out better than Tsatas ..but to say he’s not done anymore than Tsatas at this stage is a little silly
That's what happens when a player gets a proper go at it. Being the sub and played out of position doesn't help Tsatas's cause.

When that happens in senior footy for him, then we will see a good young player.

Phillipou spent 5 weeks in the vfl because his form was so bad to start the year. Tsatas is being played on the wing at afl level, the position doesn’t suit him he is a pure on ball player. He’s not ready for that role yet but I’d guarantee he’d look a hell of a lot better if he was giving the opportunity to play on ball at afl level.

No I asked you. Because 18 in 34 games as a forward is barely average at best.

The Tsatas pick is probably the most disappointing pick I’ve seen us take.

We had offers for pick 5 that would’ve landed us multiple later first rounders. Alternatively, we could’ve taken Humphrey or Ginbey.

I’m not 100% certain Tsatas will be a bust, but it’s looking that way.

Yeah I dunno about that. Keplar Bradley at 6 was a bit silly albeit hindsight says it was a pretty weak draft. James Davies and Shane Harvey as late first rounders were also not great choices.

Having said that, I can't recall nearly as much focus on the draft back in those days. Not to say the clubs weren't putting in the effort but the media didn't report nearly as heavily plus forums like this were in their infancy if they existed at all (not to mention social media not yet a thing) so there wasn't as much analysis/conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back