AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Some have gone pretty early on Humphey too. He has averaged under 6 touches and kicked one goal in his last 5 games. If you take out the 5 goal game, he hasn't been that great this year.

Only really Wardlaw, Sheezel and Ashcroft from the 2022 draft have shown that they are consistently high quality developing players (IMO). None taken after Tsatas have consistently set the world on fire just yet. Some have shown glimpses and that is about it.

I'm hoping Tsatas develops. He has the appetite and has his head down. He missed half of is first year but can find the footy. Let David Rath work his magic for a year or two.

In fairness, he has either been sub or subbed out in four of those five games.

Big time!

If we started him as starting inside mid tsatas would get 30 possies and the same posters would be calling him the next Judd.

The kids has a nose for the ball inside, can stand up in tackles even though he is rail thin, gets ball from in to out accurately and has burst speed from stoppage.

Plenty inside mids haven’t kicked the ball well, and get exposed when put on the wing or hff.
Plenty of them have not got an issue in their actual action that has not improved with 14 months of work on it . I have taken a close look at training and it is the same as it was in his under 18 highlights. Now he can certainly play and win the footy . I think in time he will have the body for inside midfielder. Given his attitude so far I suspect he will have no issue transitioning his mindset to the task either.
The issue for me is we drafted him to be a break the lines midfielder with an inside / outside game but the outside game is not going to happen. We have basically made Hobbs obsolete as Tsatas is a better decision maker in close.
They have already changed his role in the last 3 weeks. They have pretty much given up on any outside game. He has had a couple of run with roles and last week it was all inside with limited outside run.
We have drafted what looks to be a good inside midfielder but he is not the guy we thought we where drafting.

Plenty of them have not got an issue in their actual action that has not improved with 14 months of work on it . I have taken a close look at training and it is the same as it was in his under 18 highlights. Now he can certainly play and win the footy . I think in time he will have the body for inside midfielder. Given his attitude so far I suspect he will have no issue transitioning his mindset to the task either.
The issue for me is we drafted him to be a break the lines midfielder with an inside / outside game but the outside game is not going to happen. We have basically made Hobbs obsolete as Tsatas is a better decision maker in close.
They have already changed his role in the last 3 weeks. They have pretty much given up on any outside game. He has had a couple of run with roles and last week it was all inside with limited outside run.
We have drafted what looks to be a good inside midfielder but he is not the guy we thought we where drafting.
I think he can be a decent enough inside outside mid, his kicking mainly looks bad when he is at top speed, plenty have had that issue before, wojinski, Shiel, even Judd and danger too at times.

I don’t disagree about our drafting, the emergence of Caldwell and Durham has definitely shuffled the deck, would have made a lot more sense if we had traded parish.

Hopefully tsatas kicking improves, and he can at least be a reliable 30 metre kick who knows his limitations, just like parish and Jobe became.

I truly think that once he gets given a go as a starting inside mid he won’t lose his spot. At the moment he doesn’t deserve to be in the team.

Lij enters heady, rarefied air this weekend.

Between an injury, the building up of his body, subbing in and out of games and being a travelling emergency the last time he played 4 full games of footy in a row at any level was April 2022.

Let him ball and leave him the **** alone.

masochist​

[ mas-uh-kist ]
Phonetic (Standard)IPA

noun​

1. Psychiatry. a person who has masochism, the condition in which sexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical pain or humiliation.
  2. a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.
  3. a person who regularly reads the Elijah Tsatas footballer thread that (somewhat premature yet possibly fairly) dooms EFC’s 2022 pick 5 as a wasted high draft pick

masochist​

[ mas-uh-kist ]
Phonetic (Standard)IPA

noun​

1. Psychiatry. a person who has masochism, the condition in which sexual or other gratification depends on one's suffering physical pain or humiliation.
  2. a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.
  3. a person who regularly reads the Elijah Tsatas footballer thread that (somewhat premature yet possibly fairly) dooms EFC’s 2022 pick 5 as a wasted high draft pick
The true definition of a masochist is actually someone who thinks dodo shouldn’t be shown the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had known then that Duz and Caldwell would step up in the midfield I woudlve picked Weddle in hindsight. He would pair well with Redman and it would mean Martin could go back up the ground.
Totally agree with this.

In hind sight it now looks both
  • unnessasary - due to emergence of Duz & Caldwell
  • risky - due to kicking

Moved from caddy thread

Last edited:
Do you mean Caldwell instead of Caddy? Don’t know why Tsatas would be unnecessary because of Caddy…
Yes!
Who are you bombreys?
The BigFooty way isn’t to logically think through other people’s posts for corrective interpretations of lax errors…
(You are supposed to slam my post as stupid)

Last edited:
Neither was Sammy Durham

I'd like to see him get another block of games while we're still going ok and there's somewhat some competition for spots, not when the arse falls out of our season and there's nothing to play for. (if that happens)

Isn't this the "inside bull" role that everyone was screaming out for about 5 minutes after we recruited Parish?

Isn't this the "inside bull" role that everyone was screaming out for about 5 minutes after we recruited Parish?
It is but Tsatas has to prove he is up to it . He had Wardlaw doing that role when he was at Oakleigh. Willing to play a more physical role was one of the improvements needed and he is not there yet. Has been better but still a work in progress.

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back