AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

stringer attending so many is ****ed

It was a move out of desperation, but IMO if Stringer does go to a centre bounce it should be 1 or 2 a quarter at most.

Running him through the midfield has been tried plenty of times and rarely works long-term. He had 19 disposals, focused mostly in the centre circle with no real scoreboard impact.

Meanwhile he's one of the most dangerous players we've got forward of centre that has a level of power to break tackles that few players do. Starting him in the middle takes away his ability to do that both because he's more fatigued due to running more, and not actually being in the forward-line as the ball gets there.

I'd rather see the CBAs going to pretty much any other midfielder on our list than be using Stringer through there.

It was a move out of desperation, but IMO if Stringer does go to a centre bounce it should be 1 or 2 a quarter at most.

Running him through the midfield has been tried plenty of times and rarely works long-term. He had 19 disposals, focused mostly in the centre circle with no real scoreboard impact.

Meanwhile he's one of the most dangerous players we've got forward of centre that has a level of power to break tackles that few players do. Starting him in the middle takes away his ability to do that both because he's more fatigued due to running more, and not actually being in the forward-line as the ball gets there.

I'd rather see the CBAs going to pretty much any other midfielder on our list than be using Stringer through there.
The worst thing was he was at the very first CBA

Could he play 2 games in the AFL as a mid?
Or he doesn't have the body at all to even play 1?

The reason I ask is could you plan to have him possibly in against Sydney and Brisbane? See the level of two of the best two teams in the league, two solid games prior to end of the year.
Head into the postseason seeing the level, work on the body and then next year you drop him into he seniors from round 1.
You would get away with him playing a few . Even the GC would be a test for him. He is just not ready for a prolonged stint. Playing him on the wing did nothing for him for sure but they just wanted to get him exposure . If they had their time again you would hope they would see it was not the way to go.

What I can see as far as his kicking goes is they have worked on him giving first option by hand as he is very good in close . So he is basically kicking it on the outside more and it has been based around him not trying to kick the cover off the ball . As a few have said he still has a high ball drop which is an issue . He still kicks just as many floating punts as he does nice drop punts but the horrible shanks have been minimized. My comparison as far as what he is going to be is a slightly slower Adam Treloar . He will find the footy but he will kick some ugly floaters a lot of the time.
Credit to him and the coaches. It has been a hard grind for him.

What I can see as far as his kicking goes is they have worked on him giving first option by hand as he is very good in close . So he is basically kicking it on the outside more and it has been based around him not trying to kick the cover off the ball . As a few have said he still has a high ball drop which is an issue . He still kicks just as many floating punts as he does nice drop punts but the horrible shanks have been minimized. My comparison as far as what he is going to be is a slightly slower Adam Treloar . He will find the footy but he will kick some ugly floaters a lot of the time.
Credit to him and the coaches. It has been a hard grind for him.
Great analysis.

We have to remember, it’s not just his kicking he’s needed to improve dramatically. He came last in our 2km time trial last year, and THEN did his MCL. So you can only imagine how far behind he was with his running.

18 months on and he’s running out games far better then I thought possible.

He’s 19 and has made inroads in his two biggest deficiencies immediately when given a fair run at it. Credit to him.

What I liked most about him when he did his knee, was how pragmatic he was about it and determined to still improve. He doesn't need someone to motivate him.

Another concern besides his kicking and lack of pace is he doesn’t win many centre bounce or stoppage balls. Relies on teammates handballs for his possessions
Not really a concern IMO as that's not what his role at the stoppage is. Hobbs and Setterfield were playing in and under yesterday.

Look at his clearance numbers in VFL last 5 weeks. It’s his strength.

Clearances aren't the first possession in the chain, it's once it leaves stoppage, so having high clearance numbers does not dispute that he isn't winning his own ball, just that he is involved in getting the ball out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearances aren't the first possession in the chain, it's once it leaves stoppage, so having high clearance numbers does not dispute that he isn't winning his own ball, just that he is involved in getting the ball out.
Unless i'm reading it wrong, clearances are the first disposal in a chain that eventually clears the stoppage area.

Champion Data said:
Clearance: Credited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

Unless i'm reading it wrong, clearances are the first disposal in a chain that eventually clears the stoppage area.

I'd agree with your reading of it, looks like I've had explained to me incorrectly

41 and a goal. I only saw third quarter, but I’m not sure what else you can ask from a 19 year old. Yep, 19... easy to forget. There a draft hopefuls playing in these VFL games that are 18.

He’s averaged 30+ for 5-6 weeks and we’ve won every game. He’s actually developing. He’s clearly putting in work on his kicking and he looks super fit.

IMO he should be in the seniors for the final game, and we absolutely should not be trading him under a circumstances.

41 and a goal. I only saw third quarter, but I’m not sure what else you can ask from a 19 year old. Yep, 19... easy to forget. There a draft hopefuls playing in these VFL games that are 18.

He’s averaged 30+ for 5-6 weeks and we’ve won every game. He’s actually developing. He’s clearly putting in work on his kicking and he looks super fit.

IMO he should be in the seniors for the final game, and we absolutely should not be trading him under a circumstances.
he’s clearly built into some solid form, it’s great to see

Good thing Scott didn't just play the kids and gave him a chance to build his game in his best position

Just in time to be brought in on a wing next week at the Gabba.

Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA

Good thing Scott didn't just play the kids and gave him a chance to build his game in his best position
I think this would apply more to Bryan, Hayes and Roberts sitting in the VFL over Goldy, Laverde and Heppell. Especially Bryan who has dominated VFL for a while.

I think he should be given games in the guts next year every single week and given a run vs Brissy.

Kicking has improved, has elite hands and has a knack for the ball I'm not sure anyone else on our has (aside from Parish but I think this kid is tougher).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back