AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he should be given games in the guts next year every single week and given a run vs Brissy.

Kicking has improved, has elite hands and has a knack for the ball I'm not sure anyone else on our has (aside from Parish but I think this kid is tougher).
was he just overwhelmed in his AFL games? His disposal was all at sea, including his handball, and his decision making was shocking. Mind you he has many friends in that department

Just in time to be brought in on a wing next week at the Gabba.

Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA
Or sub in the last on the wing

was he just overwhelmed in his AFL games? His disposal was all at sea, including his handball, and his decision making was shocking. Mind you he has many friends in that department

I think part of it was just not having played much football for a while due to injury, part of it is having worked a lot on his disposal. But the main reason he's improved is that in the AFL he was being played out of position.

I think he should be given games in the guts next year every single week and given a run vs Brissy.

Kicking has improved, has elite hands and has a knack for the ball I'm not sure anyone else on our has (aside from Parish but I think this kid is tougher).

Well an extra 8cm and bigger frame certainly helps his ability to wear contact.

He was not ready at all. He was injured in his juniors campaign, then did his MCL missed first half last season, and then we threw him to the wolves (and tbh, fair enough, as it uncovered his areas for development) against Collingwood.

He’s got through this season clean, let’s hope he gets a good run at pre-season and then I’ll back him to be a regular next season so long as we get the midfield mix right. He has to be played in his preferred position, however, he should have developed a better tank this season and next to have some sort of wing potential that he absolutely did not have/was ready for last season.

He was not ready at all. He was injured in his juniors campaign, then did his MCL missed first half last season, and then we threw him to the wolves (and tbh, fair enough, as it uncovered his areas for development) against Collingwood.

He’s got through this season clean, let’s hope he gets a good run at pre-season and then I’ll back him to be a regular next season so long as we get the midfield mix right. He has to be played in his preferred position, however, he should have developed a better tank this season and next to have some sort of wing potential that he absolutely did not have/was ready for last season.
He’ll be back bigger and better hopefully.

Assuming we lose Shiel, him in the guts with Caldwell, Parish and Durham - between the four of them that should be a sound mix of extremely clean hands, reasonable defensive pressure, good speed and ok kicking.

Zerrett and Martin switching between half back and wing.

Still desperately need the Daveys to come on (and for Kako to actually be good) and for one superstar tall forward.

He has put together a string of good form in the VFL for the past 8 weeks, I hope he plays against Brisbane this week. Looks like Shiel might be elsewhere next year, so it is his spot for the taking.

He has put together a string of good form in the VFL for the past 8 weeks, I hope he plays against Brisbane this week. Looks like Shiel might be elsewhere next year, so it is his spot for the taking.
If we play him, give him genuine midfield minutes

If Shiel is leaving and we play Tsatas over him, it's a completely wasted opportunity to give a young fellow a chance to play a game at AFL level in his preferred position.

Play the kid, we are done this year anyhow.
Inside midfield. Not sub forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get to watch VFL but From everything I've read here he's been managed well. Due to injuries in his final u18 season and a few since coming to the club he's now getting a sustained block to not only build his tank but get continuity playing against men in his preferred position. Adjusting to the additional heat (not to mention hard work) has also seen the complaints about his disposal drop off considerably.

It sounds like he's been primed to attack 2025 with gusto, whether he plays the final game in the seniors or not. If he gets a full preseason in, and with Shiel leaving, there's a senior spot for the taking and he's first in line.

Last edited:
41 and a goal. I only saw third quarter, but I’m not sure what else you can ask from a 19 year old. Yep, 19... easy to forget. There a draft hopefuls playing in these VFL games that are 18.

He’s averaged 30+ for 5-6 weeks and we’ve won every game. He’s actually developing. He’s clearly putting in work on his kicking and he looks super fit.

IMO he should be in the seniors for the final game, and we absolutely should not be trading him under a circumstances.
Is he going to win us a final this year though?

Another benefit of letting kids develop their game in the VFL - much less pressure and public scrutiny
Spot on. The scrutiny on his kicking at AFL level would be unrelenting. The juxtaposition of his ability to find the ball vs dispose of it is alarming. I've always said, you can teach someone to kick a ball, you cant teach them how to find it. ie: J Watson.

Spot on. The scrutiny on his kicking at AFL level would be unrelenting. The juxtaposition of his ability to find the ball vs dispose of it is alarming. I've always said, you can teach someone to kick a ball, you cant teach them how to find it. ie: J Watson.
And if you can dodge a spanner you can dodge a ball

I can tell you exactly why he has not been selected in the back end of the year.
For whatever reason , maybe lack of confidence in his body and the fact he has missed a lot of footy in the previous three years or maybe (hopefully not) it is not in him but if you spend time watching him closely live you can still write down 10 or so times a game where he has pulled back when it comes to taking on a contest.
The reason they will play Hobbs even if he is out of position is Hobbs attacks the contest unconditionally.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back