5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So what do you reckon, we lose the toss and bat?
Yep, England will send us in again and hope to replicate the last test with less rain.

I hope we lose the toss as I think we'll send them in too. The forecast looks like clouds the whole Test so rainfall day 1 will probably be easier as the ball will get soft compared to just cloud cover. I also think the pitch will only get harder to bat on too.

* I'd rather Terry Alderman with the ball in hand in England.

It's funny, if you gave Anderson his dream conditions including the ball swinging and the pitch green I would still pick all of the following ahead of him to play. Lillee, Hadlee, Akram, Marshall, Alderman, Mcgrath, Steyn and Donald.

For bowling I would consider a hole in one's record to be a 30+ average against one opposition, in a particular country, and having a 30+ average in neutral/away conditions is a massive hole.

There are only a few who have a full set of sub-30 records again all opposition and in all conditions. To be one of the absolute apex bowlers you can't have any more than a few holes in your record.

Jimmy Anderson is obviously a great bowler but in the context of these absolute greats of the game he has quite a few gaps in his record. He's definitely one of the greats but just in the last few decades guys like McGrath, Steyn, Donald, Ambrose, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis (and probably a couple of others) leave him trailing behind. Of the current group he isn't as good as Rabada or Cummins.

Stokes will have a beer with aussies after match thats all that matters, bmac is seen as a nobody to the aussies i would suspect bloke averaged in the 20's against us and lost nearly every test he played vs aus he is an outsider and non entity in an ashes contest.

I'm not sure the 'not having a beer' is such a slight against us as Baz thinks; the way they've carried on, why would we WANT to have a beer with them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would they, with things like Netflix there aren't even TV breaks anymore everything is on demand and quick. Yet cricket if you get out first ball and don't bowl can see you so basically nothing for 2 days.

That’s always been my life as a top order bat (3/4… then opening more as I got older). Didn’t play for a few years when my old club went in to recess but missed it so went back again last year with a new club. Turn 50 in a few weeks but still much prefer playing the longer stuff (outside of age and soreness lol) even if it does mean almost 2 weeks without doing anything if you get out early.

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As for the London weather, definitely overcast here today. There is supposed to be a bit of rain around the start of play, so the game will possibly be delayed, but we should get a full day's play. Tempting to bowl but then it looks like it's gonna be much the same for the whole test so that makes it a bit more traditional thinking where put on scoreboard pressure and the pitch should deteriorate as the game goes on.

I'd suggest England will definitely bowl first.

Bit late to the party but Stokes is on Drugs if he thinks Anderson is the greatest Fast bowler ever.
Home brand Glenn McGrath.

Then Add Marshall, Steyn, Ambrose...

Remove this Banner Ad

5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Back