AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell - Such an attacking weapon

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s taken injury again for him to finally get a chance to play full time mid for a long period. Just shows we’ve wasted him at half forward for 2-3 years
That’s not entirely true, it’s taken him 2-3 years to build the tank for a perm midfield gig. He had a very low base off those hamstring issues.

That’s not entirely true, it’s taken him 2-3 years to build the tank for a perm midfield gig. He had a very low base off those hamstring issues.
that’s not true he’s been fit for years and has been totally left in the forward line for weeks on end when others were in the side. V lions 2022 absolutely dominated when he got to play midfield because we had injuries, he just hasn’t had regular opportunity until this year.

that’s not true he’s been fit for years and has been totally left in the forward line for weeks on end when others were in the side. V lions 2022 absolutely dominated when he got to play midfield because we had injuries, he just hasn’t had regular opportunity until this year.
Yeah I think I’ll back the experts at the club in over you. Essendon in my opinion have expertly rehabilitated his injuries, built up his fitness base gradually and now it’s paying dividends.

Yeah I think I’ll back the experts at the club in over you. Essendon in my opinion have expertly rehabilitated his injuries, built up his fitness base gradually and now it’s paying dividends.
😂😂 the reason he wasn’t playing midfield was because of personal not his injury history. he would’ve ran more per game playing half forward than playing on ball. And im not saying he had to play full time mid, im saying he didn’t even get a look in to be involved in the midfield rotation

😂😂 the reason he wasn’t playing midfield was because of personal not his injury history. he would’ve ran more per game playing half forward than playing on ball. And im not saying he had to play full time mid, im saying he didn’t even get a look in to be involved in the midfield rotation
The quote before you litterally gave an example of him being played in the midfield in 2022 and now you’re saying “he didn’t even get a look to be involved in the midfield rotation”

Okay I think I’m done with this one.

It’s taken injury again for him to finally get a chance to play full time mid for a long period.
That’s not entirely true, it’s taken him 2-3 years to build the tank for a perm midfield gig.

One thing many seem to forget is how raw he was as a player and how little games he's played, regardless of his fitness/the position he was played in. People were holding him up to a standard of a 150-game player when he was anything but. I always viewed him as an honorary 2020 draft pick.

I refer to my post in March,

55 games going into 2024 when players like Bailey Smith from the same draft had already played over 100. Even with Smith missing all of 2024 Caldwell still won't be anywhere near that.

Not saying that's a sign that Jye will be good but he has a lot of untapped upside if he can keep progressing. If he can use this season to clean up his disposal then we'll have a serious big stage player on our hands for many years to come. Those kind of players are invaluable when the game is on the line, especially in finals.

Last edited:
The quote before you litterally gave an example of him being played in the midfield in 2022 and now you’re saying “he didn’t even get a look to be involved in the midfield rotation”

Okay I think I’m done with this one.
can you not read
I said in 2022 against lions he got to play full time mid because of injuries
Over the past couple of years when we’ve had our regular midfielders he hasn’t even been afforded a spot in the rotation. Even this year he started the year at half forward aswell and got an opportunity onball due to injuries.

I love how much he wears his heart on his sleeve, it oozes out of him how much he cares, when something bad happens he screams in anger, when he messes up he smashes the ground with his fist, if we lose he has his head in his hands , when he kicks a big goal the twin cobras come out, when he's happy the tounge comes out like a dog... We've had so many vanilla robots come through who we figured just punched their time card and collected a pay cheque each week, can see outwardly with this guy it's more
it’s the bendigo edge

Not that I am 100% sure but wasn't Caldwell's time on ground minutes really low for a significant period of time?
There may be an element of truth to not having the miles in the legs due to injury history that kept him out of the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Scott seems to be a fan of teaching two way running to on-ballers by making them play on the HFF. Did it with Caldwell and it worked, was doing it with Hobbs and Tsatas while they were in the team, hopefully he does it with Perkins too.

Convinced Brad Scott doesn’t like jye Caldwell. How can you get 4 off 1 coach and 0 off the other 😂

Convinced Brad Scott doesn’t like jye Caldwell. How can you get 4 off 1 coach and 0 off the other 😂
Feels more like macrae is contractually obliged to give daicos votes. Bloke goes at 32% kicking efficiency and shirks numerous physical contests yet his coach thinks he's the 4th best player on the ground

How do you know it wasn't Macrae who neglected him?

That passage where he won the free, gave lip, kicked the goal and then blew a fuse... so un-Essendon like.

Since when do these players have rizz like that?
He cale hookered him as well !! (Patted him on the head)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back