AFL Toast RND 6: Win Against The Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

So the best way to look at it is the alley oop scene in Semi Pro, they do the alley oop for the first time, everyone’s jaw hits the ground and Father Pat calls a foul because he’s never seen that before and it scares him.

Not sure you can pay holding the ball against a player that’s not holding the ball, never had any intention of getting the ball or doing anything apart from essentially conduct a sit in in the middle of the contest to make it more difficult for everyone around him.

If it’s stupid and it works, it’s not stupid.

It was dumb & highly risky. I think we'd all be very happy if he never does anything like it ever again.

Played a genuinely front half game. Maybe our first ever.

Set-up, structure was really good again as we never really lost control of the match (5 min in the 3/4 aside).

Loved the intensity in the middle.
Yep the last two weeks is the first time in years I have seen us play a sustainable style that will work in September.

I thought we would likely get rolled in the last but I had resolved to not care, because I was so pleased with us properly doing the one thing that will lead us out of the wilderness.

Obviously understanding why guys like Heppell and Jake Kelly continue to get picked, Scott trusts them to do what is asked.

Feel last night may be a real turning point in finding out the guys who Scott trusts and who he doesn't as we battled hard right to the end.

I wonder if we really see some surprising calls come years end on some guys who have been important players for us over the years who aren't the main bean moving forward.

Kelly is looking the fittest I have ever seen him, playing some great footy and becoming versatile.

To be fair to Crows fans, I just read first 2 pages of their autopsy thread and most were saying they didnt deserve to win and criticising Nicks and their players rather than referring to the umpiring right at the end. And one fan who said despite that decision at the end, they had the better of the umpiring over the night. Expected much more vitriol.

Just for the record, the AFL has come out & said it should have been a free.

What they said was with the benefit of a squillion camera angles and hindsight, it should have been a free

No negatives to spew from me this week. Not when these three essentials were displayed to such a high level;

• intensity at the disputed ball
  • perceived pressure on the opposition
  • resilience when momentum goes against you.

When a young team lays the foundations of their style on these attributes then the other stuff can come when it comes (ie composure, skill execution, controlling 4qtrs). It was a great game to watch as both teams brought an intensity which tested our mettle and we passed that test admirably.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just some special mentions from the poor umpiring, included a couple favouring Crows to show it was poor both ways

Ess - Missed free kick Inside 50 holding the ball 8 minutes to go first quarter

Ess - Missed HTB free kick inside 50 17 minutes left on the clock far side (on camera)

Ess - D50 - Missed dropping the ball 13 minutes to go in second quarter

Ess - I50 - Duursma front on contact missed, 10 minutes to go, second quarter

Ess- Missed “touched” giving Dawson mark led to goal, second quarter 6.30 left on clock

Adel - Holding the ball against Langford at end of 2nd quarter was almost identical to crows player in second half.

Adel - Durham identical decision (spinning free kick allowed shot on goal with 12 minutes left on clock in 3rd quarter)

Brodie Smith tackled after spinning out of tackles by Nick Hind in Q4 14 minutes

Adel - Missed free to Adelaide for incorrect disposal on Nic Martin in pocket

Taylor Walker dropping the ball / incorrect disposal in 3rd quarter 10 minutes to go D50

Ess - Reilly O’Brien crumbled into Parish back 9.43 left in 3rd quarter, centre wing

Ess - Hamil incorrect disposal for Langford to kick for goal 9 minutes left in Q3

Adel - Hind incorrect disposal after stepping through traffic 5 minutes left in Q3

Ess - missed HTB (Merret on Laird) Q3, 4 minutes left close to centre wing

Ess - Merrett pushed in back missed when shot on goal, Q3 2 minutes left

Ess - missed high tackle by Walker on Kelly 5 minutes left in Q4

Ess - Gallant drops ball from Tsatas tackle, HBF, 3 minutes left in Q4

Ess - Hobbs legged centre wing Q4, 2 minutes left in last

Ess - Walker drops knees looking to act for a free kick, not paid. 38 seconds left Q4

Ess - Walker fends off and is not pinned for prior opportunity

Ess - Draper falls onto ball and is jumped on immediately

Special shoutout to Richo for calling an Adelaide win 27 seconds into the last quarter when Essendon was 3 points up

oh wait...

On the other hand
comedy fan GIF by CollingwoodFC

Can’t remember too many games in recent years where we come back twice in a game like that. 19 down in third and they’d kicked seven straight. Huge effort last 10-15 mins of that quarter to get back in front.

Then that last quarter when they got 7 up. Just ground it out and maintained the pressure, not pretty but great stuff. Defensive structure terrific for first time in years. Closer to a brand required for finals in a long time
Early 2000s was the last time we really shows this type of resolve.

EAD Adelaide
Just for the record, the AFL has come out & said it should have been a free.
did they also say the these should have been paid as well?

Ess - Missed free kick Inside 50 holding the ball 8 minutes to go first quarter

Ess - Missed HTB free kick inside 50 17 minutes left on the clock far side (on camera)

Ess - D50 - Missed dropping the ball 13 minutes to go in second quarter

Ess - I50 - Duursma front on contact missed, 10 minutes to go, second quarter

Ess- Missed “touched” giving Dawson mark led to goal, second quarter 6.30 left on clock

Adel - Holding the ball against Langford at end of 2nd quarter was almost identical to crows player in second half.

Adel - Durham identical decision (spinning free kick allowed shot on goal with 12 minutes left on clock in 3rd quarter)

Brodie Smith tackled after spinning out of tackles by Nick Hind in Q4 14 minutes

Adel - Missed free to Adelaide for incorrect disposal on Nic Martin in pocket

Taylor Walker dropping the ball / incorrect disposal in 3rd quarter 10 minutes to go D50

Ess - Reilly O’Brien crumbled into Parish back 9.43 left in 3rd quarter, centre wing

Ess - Hamil incorrect disposal for Langford to kick for goal 9 minutes left in Q3

Adel - Hind incorrect disposal after stepping through traffic 5 minutes left in Q3

Ess - missed HTB (Merret on Laird) Q3, 4 minutes left close to centre wing

Ess - Merrett pushed in back missed when shot on goal, Q3 2 minutes left

Ess - missed high tackle by Walker on Kelly 5 minutes left in Q4

Ess - Gallant drops ball from Tsatas tackle, HBF, 3 minutes left in Q4

Ess - Hobbs legged centre wing Q4, 2 minutes left in last

Ess - Walker drops knees looking to act for a free kick, not paid. 38 seconds left Q4

Ess - Walker fends off and is not pinned for prior opportunity

Ess - Draper falls onto ball and is jumped on immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back