7.2 but..................0 tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

What if it's not about laying tackles? What if it's about a defensive effort? EFFORT being the operative word? Bumping a player instead of tackling. Hands on hips as the ball is sped away by the opposition is NOT what we need in our team particularly as the focus is on the opposition mounting attacks from defence.

If Tex raises the EFFORT aspect of his game (as it sounds like he did yesterday) there is no reason he won't be brought back in. Last year it took him 3 weeks to tick all the boxes after being dropped. It will be interesting to see how long this year.

If this is what he does, i'm still waiting for someone to tell me where is the same treatment for others that do this.. Especially our lazy midfield who don't apply tackles, let clearances slip out so easily due to no pressure, don't burst from the centre bounce to chase the opposition mids if the opposition win the ball, and so on..

The number of times they win the ball and their mids stream ahead, i look back to the centre and our mids are standing there spectating watching our backline stuck dealing with a swarm..

I think people are getting too swept up in tackles. 2 tackles in 6 games - so what? The issue is not Walker's lack of tackles, that's merely a symptom of the actual problem - he's not applying defensive pressure, which allows opposition clubs an easy release valve by simply playing through his opponent. Week after week we ask why we have so much trouble getting the ball out of defence while the opposition cuts through ours. We've laid the blame squarely at the feet of our defenders, but perhaps it's at least partially because the opposition know they have a player that will not be challenged by his forward opponent if they go to him.

Forget about the number of tackles laid by Walker, he just needs to be harrassing them, running at them, letting them know that they won't get a pressure-free disposal. Making the other defenders think twice before sending the ball towards Walker's man. Walker has elite endurance, absolutely elite. There is no reason he cannot do this.

It's a pity our coach doesn't get demoted to the SANFL to fix his shortcomings. I reckon Cameron Ling just hit the nail on the head. Craigs ridiculous high possession based game plan really is suspect when extra pressure is applied ie finals.

Attack the man and the crows player and game plan wilt under pressure.

We are going nowhere with this guy. People, including the media, are still under the spell of NC circa 2005/2006.

Let me guess, Walker was left to play his natural game and kicked 7.2... Wake up Craig, play him deep forward. Stop niggling at him about these stupid tackles. If he had the ball kicked in his direction more often rather than onto Tippetts head (which failed against the GC) Walker would end up with 3 goals a game.

Appeared to be off his chops at 2.30 in the morning in town tonight, hanging out with a dodgy group of heros with small man syndrome that seemed to be looking to start trouble and pretty happy with themselves for being seen with Tex. Disappointing and confusing attitude from someone who supposedly wants to make it big at AFL level :thumbsdown:
he had his 21st last night...

leave the kid alone

Appeared to be off his chops at 2.30 in the morning in town tonight, hanging out with a dodgy group of heros with small man syndrome that seemed to be looking to start trouble and pretty happy with themselves for being seen with Tex. Disappointing and confusing attitude from someone who supposedly wants to make it big at AFL level :thumbsdown:

wow! a twenty one year old celebrating his twenty first birthday on the town with a bunch of mates...
who would have thought?

He probably even sought (and was given) permission from the leadership group and coaching staff to do so. They would certainly have known what he had planned, given that he'd purchased a heap of tickets to take his mates to the game to see him play.

Charlies Walsh was furious that he wasn't in bed by 7:30pm. If its good enough for Charlie..................

On fiveaa after the game, they mentioned about one of the Crows players (think it was Sloane) saying to them in an interview that it was Walkers party for his 21st that night, so yes they knew etc etc etc..

I want to know what Norwood's Midfield is doing so much better than the crows. they obviously know how to give Walker the ball. to have that many scoring shots you can't just say it was shit defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know what Norwood's Midfield is doing so much better than the crows. they obviously know how to give Walker the ball. to have that many scoring shots you can't just say it was shit defence.

Probably moving the ball forwards.. And with some speed.. The opposition forward line sees the ball coming their way from a Crow player more than our own forwards :eek:

Dude, he was celebrating his 21st birthday. And do you reckon no other AFL footballers have some w***er mates? It would be the norm.

Did his group of mates have signed shirts on and one wearing a Hawthorn shirt?

That was his cousin a lifelong mad Hawthorn supporter

As a opposition supporter I would love for Tex to keep playing in the SANFL will make it easier to tempt him away at the end of the year (god knows we need a decent KPF)

Good call. Their midfield obviously knows how to utilise and deliver a ball to their forwards unlike our ordinary midfield. Just take a look at the deliver to Tippett yesterday. So many times the ball was kicked over his head and gave him no chance. Tippett only 1 tackle yesterday, hope he is not in danger of being dropped to west Adelaide. :)

I've never actually heard Neil Craig mention anything about Taylor's lack of tackling, it's just in the fertile imagination of some of supporters here on BF.

What I have heard Craig say as a critique of Taylor's performaces is ALWAYS along the lines of " Taylor's work when in possession of the ball is first class, it's his work when the we are not in possession of the ball that he needs to seriously address".

It aint rocket science, hell, even I get the message Craig is trying to send so why can't Taylor????

I wish Walker didn't have to be dropped but I don't see how the selectors had much choice. Only two of his performances this year would be worthy of a pass mark.
That would mean though that he would need to kick 88 goals to get a pass mark.

I know that's not what you're saying, but I think forwards are judged too harshly for having the odd quiet match. It is a tough gig and is by nature a hot and cold position on the ground. Consistent forward is an oxymoron.

He probably even sought (and was given) permission from the leadership group and coaching staff to do so. They would certainly have known what he had planned, given that he'd purchased a heap of tickets to take his mates to the game to see him play.
Interestingly Craig pushed strongly for an in-season alcohol ban a few seasons ago. The players vetoed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

7.2 but..................0 tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back