Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

1719321994159.png

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Last edited by a moderator:
McInerney?

Replace him with Melican and I’d mostly agree. Though Wicks gets a pass mark from me too, and I thought Papley tried hard to energise the forward line after half time but maybe more energy than composure.

That was just based on a live watch of the game when I was already in a grumpy mood that had nothing initially to do with the footy.
I said McInerney because he ended up with 20 touches 7 marks a goal and 9 score involvements. Melican forgot to add him to the list but also don't remember who he was marking and the talls did end up kicking like 9 goals for Freo

I don't understand why people are so annoyed by one person's opinion. Everyone is going to see differently, some will focus on positives and others will focus on negatives.
You can say Buddy was the greatest goal kicker of our era, you could also say he played for free kicks too much, he would give away silly free kicks, he was selfish for sticking around too long in the last season of his career.
None of it makes one lick of difference because he's clearly a great player.
There's not really any need to designate an arbitrary ratings system to call players ABCD grade because if the coaches rate their abilities then they are going to be picked regardless.
Rowbottom has placed 3rd in the last two best and fairest so he's clearly rated internally hence the 4 year contract extension. This year he seems to being asked to bring a bit more to the table clearance wise which is sometimes negatively affecting his tackle and pressure game. Every player is being asked to be more versatile this season.

I don't understand why people are so annoyed by one person's opinion. Everyone is going to see differently, some will focus on positives and others will focus on negatives.
You can say Buddy was the greatest goal kicker of our era, you could also say he played for free kicks too much, he would give away silly free kicks, he was selfish for sticking around too long in the last season of his career.
None of it makes one lick of difference because he's clearly a great player.
There's not really any need to designate an arbitrary ratings system to call players ABCD grade because if the coaches rate their abilities then they are going to be picked regardless.
Rowbottom has placed 3rd in the last two best and fairest so he's clearly rated internally hence the 4 year contract extension. This year he seems to being asked to bring a bit more to the table clearance wise which is sometimes negatively affecting his tackle and pressure game. Every player is being asked to be more versatile this season.
I'm more amused than annoyed these days by some of the vendettas a few people have against certain players.

Some spread the sledging around so much they get it right occasionally, some focus on a few, ignoring the good, popping back up when a player makes a mistake or doesn't have a great game (and on this occasion, it's a bizarre game to focus on). In this case, there's been quite a lengthy commentary about Rowbottom not getting enough ball, and that high tackles/pressure aren't impactful. Then when he gets numbers up a bit, apparently he may as well not be playing because he isn't tackling as much. It's not just an opinion, it's an inconsistent obsession with finding fault about one of our most important players (from someone who is generally a good poster that I appreciate).

I'm more amused than annoyed these days by some of the vendettas a few people have against certain players.

Some spread the sledging around so much they get it right occasionally, some focus on a few, ignoring the good, popping back up when a player makes a mistake or doesn't have a great game (and on this occasion, it's a bizarre game to focus on). In this case, there's been quite a lengthy commentary about Rowbottom not getting enough ball, and that high tackles/pressure aren't impactful. Then when he gets numbers up a bit, apparently he may as well not be playing because he isn't tackling as much. It's not just an opinion, it's an inconsistent obsession with finding fault about one of our most important players (from someone who is generally a good poster that I appreciate).

at least that poster doesn't stoop to the depths of personal insult and character assassination that some of our more miserable posters unleash on their favourite whipping boys

I think I found caesar88 twitter account

Gonna be busy once I launch my Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd and George Hewett accounts as well!

Downloading Nba 2K League GIF by Raptors Uprising GC

Impressive!

Weird that for the same period, his tackle numbers are 4.25 compared to 9.4 for the first 12 rounds.
I'd imagine there would be an element of self-preservation to it.

It's a long season and the physical toll of his role and the way he plays would just make it not sustainable to be going at 9.4 tackles a game for seven straight months. Far more important he's in beast mode in September than in July.

Impressive!

Weird that for the same period, his tackle numbers are 4.25 compared to 9.4 for the first 12 rounds.
I think his role has been a bit different over the past month or so. Of course still a hard nut in midfield, but I think he has been given a bit more licence to try and 'break the lines' a bit too, and a bit more attacking. I postulate that is being reflected in the lower tackle count element.

He is never going to be damaging in the same way Gulden, Heeney, Warner and co will be, but he can be effective. I thought he had several really good moments against North, where he was decisive and took reasonable risks to open the game up - a few led directly to scoring opportunities too.

As others have said however - the main thing is we need him firing come September. We won't win the flag in my opinion if he isn't close to his bone crunching best!

You know your doing something right when you are disposing of the ball more efficiently than Warner or Gulden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a gun - beats players who have significant size advantage over him.👍

I just hope he doesn’t have to kick to win the GF. 😳

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back