Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

1719321994159.png

James Rowbottom

The Sydney Swans recruited James Rowbottom with their second selection at the 2018 AFL Draft and the midfield bull impacted from the get-go. The Oakleigh Chargers product made his AFL debut against Richmond at Marvel Stadium in Round 5, 2019 and finished the season with 12 senior games beside his name. Rowbottom also led the NEAFL MVP voting when it was hidden from the public after Round 12. The young Swan is a ball magnet, explosive at the stoppages, an outstanding tackler and a clean user of the footy.

James Rowbottom
DOB: 19 September 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #25, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Camberwell (Vic)/St Kevin's College (Vic)/Oakleigh U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful article in the Mongrel today about our Rowie.

I only did the link for the free version as I didn't think it right or appropriate to post the full version, I hope that's okay.

This guy just gets more and more impressive. If you wathc the minute things he does, your really gain an appreciation for him. Never loses a tackle, at least halves every contest, knows when to take the ball to ground. Just a super professional inside mid

yeah, rowbottom is a star, don't think i've seen a better tackler, certainly for his general size and build
he hits like a battering ram but sticks, rather than bounces, unless he has to bounce to make a second (or third) tackle
i regard him as one of our elite

Last edited:
Beautiful article in the Mongrel today about our Rowie.

I only did the link for the free version as I didn't think it right or appropriate to post the full version, I hope that's okay.
The full version is a delight but he could have written more - we know that.
After a couple of not so great articles (not HB himself) it's great to see this quality.
Happy to spend my $6.60.

The full version is a delight but he could have written more - we know that.
After a couple of not so great articles (not HB himself) it's great to see this quality.
Happy to spend my $6.60.
Me too. The Mongrel is the only media site I pay for, worth every cent.

This guy just gets more and more impressive. If you wathc the minute things he does, your really gain an appreciation for him. Never loses a tackle, at least halves every contest, knows when to take the ball to ground. Just a super professional inside mid
He really does - for a young kid that's been top 3 in an established club's F&B, he's gone up another level again, winning more clearances, kicking goals and still not compromising on the elite pressure stuff we so value. Has as much upside as any of our great young mids.

He really does - for a young kid that's been top 3 in an established club's F&B, he's gone up another level again, winning more clearances, kicking goals and still not compromising on the elite pressure stuff we so value. Has as much upside as any of our great young mids.

Has kicked just 4-4 this year and 32-29 in his 100+ game career.

Kicking, let alone goals is not his long suit. This is why he is not used much in fast transition- we want the ball in other hands.

Grundy’s total dominance led to Rowy and others getting more clearances than usual.

Has kicked just 4-4 this year and 32-29 in his 100+ game career.

Kicking, let alone goals is not his long suit. This is why he is not used much in fast transition- we want the ball in other hands.

Grundy’s total dominance led to Rowy and others getting more clearances than usual.

Rowbottoms clearances are slightly lower than last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom is having a breakout year imo. He's always been a tackling beast, and he's always been a solid contributor. But he's gone from being a contributor and applying defensive pressure, to being an integral part of our midfield and a player we'd struggle to replace. His defensive game stifles the opposition but also generates attacking opportunities. He's really found his niche within the team and is performing his role pretty much flawlessly.

Rowbottom is having a breakout year imo. He's always been a tackling beast, and he's always been a solid contributor. But he's gone from being a contributor and applying defensive pressure, to being an integral part of our midfield and a player we'd struggle to replace. His defensive game stifles the opposition but also generates attacking opportunities. He's really found his niche within the team and is performing his role pretty much flawlessly.
Unique set of skills. Not stylish but hugely effective. Was enormous today.

That long Papley goal he dished to Hayward who went to Paps in the second.

Watch how far and quick/hard Rowbottom has to sprint to make that contest on the replay. ****ing hell

Also feel like he went from unnoticed to just being the easy , Rowbottom is great comment for the media articles this weekend 😂

That long Papley goal he dished to Hayward who went to Paps in the second.

Watch how far and quick/hard Rowbottom has to sprint to make that contest on the replay. ****ing hell

Also feel like he went from unnoticed to just being the easy , Rowbottom is great comment for the media articles this weekend 😂

i thought saturday was almost a statement game from rowbottom
he'd never be the type to publicly claim to being a star ... but he did that with his game against the giants

Reckon my post aged better than some other's on this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #8 James Rowbottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back