AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Switch seems flicked and he has a good side around him in caldwell, perkins, hobbs etc.

If it gets us sheezel, I trade parish

with the development of Caldwell and Hobbs also in waiting, Perkins having another pre season, I'm starting to come around to this idea of trading Parish. Not ideal (obviously) but geez, be very exciting having two top 10 picks in the draft

He does so much better when he's not in the same team as Parish and we looked a lot more balanced through the middle of the ground tonight.

Looked much happier in the interview after the game as well!
ditto the other way around last year. Parish 'broke out' last year piggy backing the ride he got when Dylan went down with that medium > long term injury and Dary released to much more midfield minutes.

Trading Parish? You have to be joking...

Shiel has been fantastic the last couple of weeks but lets not blame Parish for his poor form prior to this...
Ive long held the view its one or the other.
they just don't co-exist well and never really have.

Parish's purple patch last year sprung from Shiel's absence
Shiel came back and Parish dropped off
Likewise Shiel has hit a top gear since the cork to Parish.

I was on the trade Shiel wagon (if we did trade one), but I'm switching to Parish (which kills me, cos I do like him) because his value is higher. Cats 22 & 23 1sts for him could net us Munkara and potentially even a Dunkley (maybe we throw 21 in with Dogs 3rd coming back)

Ive long held the view its one or the other.
they just don't co-exist well and never really have.

Parish's purple patch last year sprung from Shiel's absence
Shiel came back and Parish dropped off
Likewise Shiel has hit a top gear since the cork to Parish.

I was on the trade Shiel wagon (if we did trade one), but I'm switching to Parish (which kills me, cos I do like him) because his value is higher. Cats 22 & 23 1sts for him could net us Munkara and potentially even a Dunkley (maybe we throw 21 in with Dogs 3rd coming back)
Parish is one of the best midfielders in the competition and hasn't even hit his prime. If we traded him over a 29 year old who shows glimpses of his All Australian form every so often then I'd probably start following Gold Coast...

Parish is one of the best midfielders in the competition and hasn't even hit his prime. If we traded him over a 29 year old who shows glimpses of his All Australian form every so often then I'd probably start following Gold Coast...
Now I am not saying Shiel is better than Parish right now. He has not been and he is older but you have to look at how you can build the list.
Trade Shiel and you are getting maybe a second round pick and paying some of his salary.
Trade Parish and you are looking at a first round pick.
I do not think they will trade Parish and they have an issue with where to play Shiel when Parish is in the side as he has not adapted to another role. So If Dylan was traded I have no issues.
The other thing I see on the horizon is Hobbs has the tools to be a better inside clearance player than Parish and his spread into space is better as he does not simply hunt the footy.
Given we are in a rebuild there is a case for fielding offers for Parish.
Personally I think there are probably around 20 better midfielders in the comp.

People who wanted to keep Shiel last year have very quickly moved on to shipping Parish off instead. How quickly people forget how potent our midfield was in the 2nd half of last season when it was Parish, Merrett and Stringer dominating out of the centre. Our issues this season are deeper than Parish not defending well enough.

People who wanted to keep Shiel last year have very quickly moved on to shipping Parish off instead. How quickly people forget how potent our midfield was in the 2nd half of last season when it was Parish, Merrett and Stringer dominating out of the centre. Our issues this season are deeper than Parish not defending well enough.
The issues are deeper but. Do you just look short term or are you going to look longer term ?. Who has trade value ? Who can deliver us another first round pick ? Would Sheezal - Munkarra - Cadman - Davey (maybe possible) better long term if we had the extra pick. It is much deeper than Parish is better than Shiel. That has never really been the question. Last two years Parish has been I would move Shiel on but the fact is you are looking at second round at best, maybe even third round and you will be paying some of his wage.
In a rebuild you need to look at the hard options.

The case for trading Parish is that he's fairly similar to Caldwell, Hobbs and Merrett style-wise and by trading him out we could get one or two first round picks which would give us access to someone of similar quality but some points of difference which would make our midfield better off overall.

The issues are deeper but. Do you just look short term or are you going to look longer term ?. Who has trade value ? Who can deliver us another first round pick ? Would Sheezal - Munkarra - Cadman - Davey (maybe possible) better long term if we had the extra pick. It is much deeper than Parish is better than Shiel. That has never really been the question. Last two years Parish has been I would move Shiel on but the fact is you are looking at second round at best, maybe even third round and you will be paying some of his wage.
In a rebuild you need to look at the hard options.
I wouldn't trade our best midfielder in the prime of his career for a speculative draft pick. Maybe if Parish was a few years older it could be an option, but not right now. People are seriously overplaying Parish's deficiencies and ignoring that he is (easily) our best contested clearance player. One of the best in the league, in fact. We'd struggle to replace that. Hobbs and Caldwell will get there, but they need the time and freedom to develop. Trading Parish puts immediate pressure on them to step up.

Shiel is still the expendable one and I'd rather only get a mid/late 2nd rounder for him than trade Parish. We've put years of work into Parish to get him to where he is now (which is a reigning All-Australian midfielder, by the way) and people want us to throw all that away and start again with another top 10-15 pick? I don't really get it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade our best midfielder in the prime of his career for a speculative draft pick. Maybe if Parish was a few years older it could be an option, but not right now. People are seriously overplaying Parish's deficiencies and ignoring that he is (easily) our best contested clearance player. We'd struggle to replace that. Hobbs and Caldwell will get there, but they need the time and freedom to develop. Trading Parish puts a lot of pressure on them.

Shiel is still the expendable one and I'd rather only get a mid/late 2nd rounder for him than trade Parish. We've put years of work into Parish to get him to where he is now (which is a reigning All-Australian midfielder, by the way) and people want us to throw all that away and start again with another top 10-15 pick? I don't really get it.
Nobody is proposing that we trade Merrett in here.

I wouldn't trade our best midfielder in the prime of his career for a speculative draft pick. Maybe if Parish was a few years older it could be an option, but not right now. People are seriously overplaying Parish's deficiencies and ignoring that he is (easily) our best contested clearance player. One of the best in the league, in fact. We'd struggle to replace that. Hobbs and Caldwell will get there, but they need the time and freedom to develop. Trading Parish puts immediate pressure on them to step up.

It is relevant to where we are at. That is all. I do not know where you rate us. My view is if we where in a spot to be winning finals and pushing top 4 then you work on the defensive issues and take what you get. IMO we are not there or close to there so we can afford to take a bit less offensive output from the group left and cover his role to upgrade our draft position given I think we are over 4 years away from where the club sees us next year.

I am not seriously overplaying his deficiencies either. I think you actually underplay them. I know Parish has great offensive output but I also know he has caused a few waves within the playing group with his lack of defensive efforts and strutting around like he is at Dustin Martin level. Not the first time it has happened.

Biggest flaw our side has. It is not offence. It has been a massive fail in team defense for 10 years.

Shiel is certainly expendable but we will be paying for him to be playing at another club as well. I have no issue if he was moved on and Parish stays.
In fact it could well be better if Shiel left this year and then Parish the next and the next wave comes through.

This is a rebuild. Chances are Parish will not even be in the side our next premiership window.

Last edited:
It is relevant to where we are at. That is all. I do not know where you rate us. My view is if we where in a spot to be winning finals and pushing top 4 then you work on the defensive issues and take what you get. IMO we are not there or close to there so we can afford to take a bit less offensive output from the group left and cover his role to upgrade our draft position given I think we are over 4 years away from where the club sees us next year.
We made finals last year with pretty much the same playing list we have now. We've been shocking this year, but I don't think it's time to start trading away our best players for draft picks. We've found some best 22 players with lower picks in recent years. I'd continue filling out the list with whatever draft picks we get and trading some expendable players if we can (Shiel, Francis).

I am not seriously overplaying his deficiencies either. I think you actually underplay them. I know Parish has great offensive output but I also know he has caused a few waves within the playing group with his lack of defensive efforts and strutting around like he is at Dustin Martin level. Not the first time it has happened.

Biggest flaw our side has. It is not offence. It has been a massive fail in team defense for 10 years.
Were these complaints around last year when we were actually winning, largely off the back of Parish's amazing offensive output in the midfield? Our entire team has sucked this year and I don't think there are too many players who should avoid criticism for their lack of defensive play and work rate, which to me says it's more of an issue with our entire gameplan and effort as a whole rather than just 1 or 2 senior players not putting in the work.

Parish's tackle numbers have dropped off this year and that's an area he needs to improve on in the back half of the season. Our midfield still looks the best when Parish is in it, and I don't think his output will be as easy to cover as you make it seem. If a player like Parish can't fit in our system then that is an indictment on the coaches.

If we're still 5+ years away from being in a premiership window then our coaches and list managers should be moved on. We made finals last year and that should be our goal next year. We have enough good players either in their prime or about to hit their prime to do it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We made finals last year with pretty much the same playing list we have now. We've been shocking this year, but I don't think it's time to start trading away our best players for draft picks. We've found some best 22 players with lower picks in recent years. I'd continue filling out the list with whatever draft picks we get and trading some expendable players if we can (Shiel, Francis).

Were these complaints around last year when we were actually winning, largely off the back of Parish's amazing offensive output in the midfield? Our entire team has sucked this year and I don't think there are too many players who should avoid criticism for their lack of defensive play and work rate, which to me says it's more of an issue with our entire gameplan and effort as a whole rather than just 1 or 2 senior players not putting in the work.

Parish's tackle numbers have dropped off this year and that's an area he needs to improve on in the back half of the season. Our midfield still looks the best when Parish is in it, and I don't think his output will be as easy to cover as you make it seem. If a player like Parish can't fit in our system then that is an indictment on the coaches.

If we're still 5+ years away from being in a premiership window then our coaches and list managers should be moved on. We made finals last year and that should be our goal next year. We have enough good players either in their prime or about to hit their prime to do it.
Explains everything. You think we have a good list.

And tackle numbers are not what people are talking about when discussing his defensive actions. It is his inability to consistently be in the defensive position he needs to be in when we have not got the ball. Tackles are good but they are only a part of it.

And we won three games on the back of Jake Stringer being in the top 3 players in the comp for a 5 or 6 week period in the back half of last season. Yes we made finals. With 11 wins and beat 1 team in the 8. If we had a full list available we would be further up the ladder for sure but we are an average list.

Now I am not saying Shiel is better than Parish right now. He has not been and he is older but you have to look at how you can build the list.
Trade Shiel and you are getting maybe a second round pick and paying some of his salary.
Trade Parish and you are looking at a first round pick.
I do not think they will trade Parish and they have an issue with where to play Shiel when Parish is in the side as he has not adapted to another role. So If Dylan was traded I have no issues.
The other thing I see on the horizon is Hobbs has the tools to be a better inside clearance player than Parish and his spread into space is better as he does not simply hunt the footy.
Given we are in a rebuild there is a case for fielding offers for Parish.
Personally I think there are probably around 20 better midfielders in the comp.
I'm not sure how Parish is viewed in the inner sanctum or amongst his teammates but unless he wanted out it feels like a culture killer trading someone of his calibre at 24 years of age. Who's to say he doesn't improve on those little flaws in his game? If Parish was to be traded though I'd be expecting two first round picks or a Josh Dunkley type.

Can anyone who is suggesting trading Parish give me an example since AFL existed, of any team willingly orchestrating a trade of one of their best 2 players, if not their best player for ‘team balance’?

Hmm yes we are an average/unbalanced list, let’s trade our best/second best player out (24yo), that should do the trick. How is this even a discussion?

Can anyone who is suggesting trading Parish give me an example since AFL existed, of any team willingly orchestrating a trade of one of their best 2 players, if not their best player for ‘team balance’?

Hmm yes we are an average/unbalanced list, let’s trade our best/second best player out (24yo), that should do the trick. How is this even a discussion?
Stringer?
different kind of balance I guess.

Can’t give you a past example but think GWS is in a similar position to us. They can’t play Taranto, Green and Hopper in the midfield together. Taranto and Hopper finished 3rd and 4th in their BnF last year yet you’d think if they were offered a top 10 pick it would be enough to move one on.

Geelong 2010. Hawthorne 2013e.

Last edited:

It is a discussion if you understand how his defensive deficiencies effect the side

Can’t give you a past example but think GWS is in a similar position to us. They can’t play Taranto, Green and Hopper in the midfield together. Taranto and Hopper finished 3rd and 4th in their BnF last year yet you’d think if they were offered a top 10 pick it would be enough to move one on.
No past example because it just doesn’t happen. If GWS could fit both of those guys in their salary cap and neither wanted to leave they’d both stay.

It is a discussion if you understand how his defensive deficiencies effect the side
I know that is the justification and it’s a problem needing to be addressed, I just can’t accept that trading Parish is the solution because teams don’t seek to trade their best players…ever

I know that is the justification and it’s a problem needing to be addressed, I just can’t accept that trading Parish is the solution because teams don’t seek to trade their best players…ever
Depends on just how good their best players are .

Yep. If Cotchin and J Reiwoldt could learn to play more team oriented then so can Parish.

Different story if he's keen to leave but number of people with Parish ability <<<<<< number of people willing to play a team first role.

As you say, it's an absurd discussion. Good players can pick up a gameplan in a year or two. Mediocre players will never be elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back