AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

And it's currently a Shiel problem.

Do you honestly think it can't be rectified though? No way at all?
I go the other way. We've been better of late with shiel playing the primary breakaway clearance player.

The coaches need to work it out. Dont know what the answer is

I go the other way. We've been better of late with shiel playing the primary breakaway clearance player.
BUt every time they are both in the side, it's Shiel who struggles.

And to suggest we are better when it's just Shiel over Parish is highly debatable. If you ignore last year then maybe you have a point.

The two D’s like the same roles which makes it harder.
Don’t forget the 5 Ds of Essendon: Darcy & Dylan Don’t Dig Defense.

Don’t confuse this with the 5 Ds of the Western Bulldogs:
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive & Drugs.

5ds-of-dodgeball-dodge.gif

And it's currently a Shiel problem.

Do you honestly think it can't be rectified though? No way at all?
It could be rectified if one of them could defend better, carrying two players in the midfield who struggle with keeping the zone in addition to Draper is why we're hilariously easy to transition against. Shiel has made more progress in that area than Parish has IMO, but it is what it is. We've tried for nearly 4 years to improve that zone structure.

Last couple of games he's gone back to his standard and been in our bests.
Power running from the centre bounce and stoppages and some line breaking.

Shiel, stringer, hobbs/perkins with mcgrath as def/wing mid and merrett mopping up outside should be formidable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUt every time they are both in the side, it's Shiel who struggles.

And to suggest we are better when it's just Shiel over Parish is highly debatable. If you ignore last year then maybe you have a point.

I see someone doesn’t remember all the complaints about Parish being crap on a HFF and not having any impact when it was Parish playing there instead of Shiel

Wouldnt say there the exact same player either

Also dont buy the argument that both cant work together, even more so if its a defence issue

We do need enough small forwards and genuine wingman type (Excl Caldwell, Zerrett, McGrath, Shiel as i dont see their traits suiting a wing) in the side. So there is only so many mids you can have playing half forward without losing the crumbing and speed of pressure thats required to lock the ball in

Its good to visibly see that Shiel is more aware of his position in the team zone i think that can be said about all players

I do worry that we finish this season well.... like last year where teams may not be taking as seriously as they need to

Also think the best asset Shiel can bring is possibly his leadership if were losing a few of Hepp, Dev and Hurley if not all. He speaks very well

I quoted someone who mentioned this during the game but it is so nice to see this Dylan Shiel who backs himself and takes the game on. Be it through fitness or confidence, he really does give us a real point of difference. Close to BOG for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back