Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; inspired by Larkey/Sheez/Jy signing - pay the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps, Judd, Dangerfield, were/are all elite players with at or above average kicking. I dont think ldu is too far off absolutely ripping a few games a part. He needs a few more good players around him and he'll look better for it. He makes some adjustments to his inside 50 game and kicking for goal and he goes to the next level again in 2025.

Cripps, Judd, Dangerfield, were/are all elite players with at or above average kicking. I dont think ldu is too far off absolutely ripping a few games a part. He needs a few more good players around him and he'll look better for it. He makes some adjustments to his inside 50 game and kicking for goal and he goes to the next level again in 2025.
I'm not sure I'd call Dangerflog an elite kick, but agree with your point nonetheless.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still watch that behind he kicked against GC.

He's the type of player that makes you go 'LDU!' in anticipation when he gets the clearance. Even if he misses the target.

Sheezel by the length of the Flemington straight. But will definitely be in the mix for runners up.
Coaches votes are interesting with LDU polling in more games. X has also polled in more games than H there as well but I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry go back to back. The polling in the early part of the season where the side was by and large a trainwreck will be very instructional.

The goal is a much more forgiving target. Liam Anthony and Sam Gibson were noted ball butchers who never seemed to miss a goal on the run.
Iritates me no end the ridiculous pile on that North supporters seem to revel in by potting Gibson’s kicking skills. He was not a ball butcher. He frequently nailed great kicks, better than many of our supposed elite ball users. Not directly aimed at you mate but supporters really can be sheep sometimes and the Gibson bias is one such example that bugs me.

Iritates me no end the ridiculous pile on that North supporters seem to revel in by potting Gibson’s kicking skills. He was not a ball butcher. He frequently nailed great kicks, better than many of our supposed elite ball users. Not directly aimed at you mate but supporters really can be sheep sometimes and the Gibson bias is one such example that bugs me.
He was probably no worse than ziebell. Liam Anthony, thats another story.

That's probably fair. If memory serves me correctly (it may not) his kicking improved over time even though he was a mature recruit.

His kicking is and always has been a weak point. He is fine chipping around the ground, but below par hitting players up. I actually think it’s a technical issue.

His long kicks are almost ubiquitously loopy and lack penetration, and often don’t seem to have a target in mind other than putting it in the immediate area of Larkey or whoever else.

I think it’s also why we don’t often see him drill home goals from 50 on the run. He can bust out of the centre square like Petracca or Reid, but doesn’t have that penetrating kick from 50 to finish - and I don’t think he ever will at this point.

If he had that part of his game, he’d truly be up there with the absolute top shelf. He is an elite player, but he won’t break into, or at least be a mainstay in the top 10 category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will start be able to do that when those below him have reached some levels of maturity.

His kicking is and always has been a weak point. He is fine chipping around the ground, but below par hitting players up. I actually think it’s a technical issue.

His long kicks are almost ubiquitously loopy and lack penetration, and often don’t seem to have a target in mind other than putting it in the immediate area of Larkey or whoever else.

I think it’s also why we don’t often see him drill home goals from 50 on the run. He can bust out of the centre square like Petracca or Reid, but doesn’t have that penetrating kick from 50 to finish - and I don’t think he ever will at this point.

If he had that part of his game, he’d truly be up there with the absolute top shelf. He is an elite player, but he won’t break into, or at least be a mainstay in the top 10 category.
He seems to get caught between taking a shot at goal and passing off which leads to a bunch of nothing kicks.

Wells was so much a better kick than LDU it's not funny. LDU needs to have a ping at the goals because based on current evidence he's more likely to kick the goal than hit up a teammate inside 50.
I think if LDU starts kicking goals it changes the whole way our forward line functions and can be defended against.....gotta be a focus for him from now on. Should be in his repertoire.

I think if LDU starts kicking goals it changes the whole way our forward line functions and can be defended against.....gotta be a focus for him from now on. Should be in his repertoire.

He's entering phase 2 of his career and that is being a dominant goal kicking mid.

He has good burst away ability, if he can also add the 'get ball' habit then he will be the next dangerfield type player.

Out of judd martin dangerfield, the latter is probably rate higher by the end of their careers in that dangerfield has been doing his craft in the gut for longer. He's 34 and still the main driver of the team, plus he is playing for at least 2 more years.

Once coaches have to choose between minimising one of LDU, Sheez or Wardlaw it's gonna be so over for the rest of the comp.
I have a feeling that Wardlaw will be our best player, but I’m not sure opposition will dedicate time to stop his influence. His best work in tight, ripping the ball from contests and applying manic pressure is almost impossible to curb.

McKercher and LDU will be the players they try to stop. Trying to impede explosive mids would have to be the target for opposition taggers and run-with roles.

Gibson was technically sound and had some of the best running smarts in our team.

But he didn’t have the decision making skills or composure to be a B+ player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; inspired by Larkey/Sheez/Jy signing - pay the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back